Problem with Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i just got back from another stihl dealer, this one was 45 minutes from where my apartment is. I drove all the way there and they only guy in the place that could help me was not there, he had taken the rest of the day off. There is something that just doesn't want me to get this problem resolved.

Just wondering why you don't think it is oiling properly. You can't really compare it to another saw unless it is the same exact model. 025 and 026 are way different. ....

Scored a big water oak yesterday that a freind (professional tree service) was removing. Only "Problem" was that I had to share it with another fire wood cutter. No problem, really. I started bucking at the base (30" diameter) with a 460 cutting 22" billets. He started in the top cutting 16's with (can you guess?) a brand new 250. Gave me another chance to see how much oil a 250 SHOULD throw. His saw threw a nice black line in about 10 seconds. MUCH better than what I saw from Cajun's 250.

That leaves just one variable to be checked out - oil viscosity. The other firewood cutter was using the same oil I use - locally popular "SuperS". Admittedly it is not as High Tac as STIHL, but a good oil. Cajun - have you tried "SuperS" in your saw? My STIHL dealer sells it instead of the STIHL stuff, because none of us will spend the extra bucks for the purple.

By the way, my buddy is taking down 6 more big water oaks. 2 in Ponchatoula and 4 in Pumpkin Center. Free for the hauling if you are interested. I'm about flush, my 15 cords is yarded and if I collect any more I may not have time to split it before it rots.

Last edited:
stihl has it faults too

Don`t think for a minute stihl dont make any junk. My friend worked at the stihl ship here close to me, last summer I went to buy a new weedwhacker and was looking at a stihl. He said why you wanna buy a stihl I said they were top of the line, He said yea I dont think so we have a new one here and cant make it run, I said what will you do with it, he said the rep was coming by to pick it up and replace with another, I ended up coming home with a new echo weed eater 200sm

I took my saw (MS180) to the dealers sat morn it leaks oil in the shop floor. He has not even looked at it (Tues) and called and asked if I wanted to sell it I said yes $200.00 and he hangs up. Wonder if he will ever fix my saw or will it set for six months.Stihl has a link where u can report a dealer that is not Kosher, Crader is the place where all the saws come from for dealers here in Missouri. When I was looking for a saw when I bought my MS 250 I went to an amish dealer and was looking for a MS270 he said he didn`t have one, but when he lit the kerosene lamp there was one setting there on the shelf I wnet and picked it up and it had blood and bone all over it, I asked about it and he said it was not for sale (he had used it cut a beef In half) can u believe it!!!!

If you want that saw fixed all u need to do is ship it too me and my dealer will fix it for free. But then again your dealer should do the same thing. If you need info please email me and drop me a line and I can tell u where to send it if you wanna send it direct to my dealer.

One problem these saws have is leaking oil on the floor when put up for storage until next time to be used. One cure for this is to open the oil tank cap to let the built up pressure out and recap it. These oilers work by taking in outside air through a valve which is supposed to work in one direction only - intake.

My MS 250 was stingy on oiling too. It now oils the chain better than when it was new but here is what I did. There is an air intake valve which can be punched out from the inside of the oil tank. It is the valve which can be seen from the outside when the bar is removed. I replaced it and also removed and cleaned the oil pump.

On a brand new saw I'd let the dealer ( or in your case) a reliable dealer try to figure out why it is not oiling nearly enough.

By the way I have a MS 260 Pro too and the MS 250 is never going to put out as much oil as the 260.

Nosmo

One problem these saws have is leaking oil on the floor when put up for storage until next time to be used. One cure for this is to open the oil tank cap to let the built up pressure out and recap it. These oilers work by taking in outside air through a valve which is supposed to work in one direction only - intake.

My MS 250 was stingy on oiling too. It now oils the chain better than when it was new but here is what I did. There is an air intake valve which can be punched out from the inside of the oil tank. It is the valve which can be seen from the outside when the bar is removed. I replaced it and also removed and cleaned the oil pump.

On a brand new saw I'd let the dealer ( or in your case) a reliable dealer try to figure out why it is not oiling nearly enough.

By the way I have a MS 260 Pro too and the MS 250 is never going to put out as much oil as the 260.

Nosmo

Alright, thanks alot i'll check into that and most probably do that little trick.

I have a 250, Mine will use about a 3/4 tank of oil to a tank of gas. Is it burning the bar. Has the bottom of the bar turned a bluish color? If so that's a sign of it gettin hot. Do you see smoke coming out of the kerf while sawing? If no to none of those it's probably ok.

Flip That Bar

I'm sure you're aware of this but I'll go ahead and mention it. Each time you sharpen your chain flip the bar to equalize the wear. Don't forget to clean the grove on both sides and rotate the sprocket tip to loosen any debris. Make sure the oil holes are cleaned out.

Nosmo

Reliable Dealers Yea Right!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe in the good ol days. But try to find a reliable dealer now. Kids with Skateboard Pants and Hat turned Backwards that know nothing about a saw. I just got my MS180 back from the shop and they didnt even fix the darn thing Who can you trust Now days anyone!!!!!

Maybe in the good ol days. But try to find a reliable dealer now. Kids with Skateboard Pants and Hat turned Backwards that know nothing about a saw. I just got my MS180 back from the shop and they didnt even fix the darn thing Who can you trust Now days anyone!!!!!
If i go in a place and see employess dressed that way, Saggy pants and underwear showing i walk right on out. Went into a KFC not too long ago and a dude was working the counter, had about six to eight inches of his under wear showing. i ask for the manager, Was told he was not there. Nobody would take charge there so grabbed one of those complaint cards. Never heard from them and never been back in there either.

Sorry to bump an older thread....

I just picked up an MS250 this weekend; it's a great saw.

I noticed it' doesn't really sling a lot of oil. However, when I was sharpening the chain and adjusting the tension, it had plenty of oil on it. Also, I am going through oil at the rate the dealer said it would and mentioned in the manual.

The company I used to work for ran MS250's exclusively for timber thinning projects and I'd say ten of them eventually had the bar oil pumps give up. It was an ongoing issue with them and even my 192 (my last stihl) shows the symptoms of pumping less and less bar oil until it quits altogether. On the bright side, it isn't a bad saw at all but it does have (or had) predictable issues.

Update ?

To the OP, so what was the outcome? The reason I'm asking is I just picked up a new MS250 a couple weeks ago. Went to use it for the first time and the bar/chain started overheating. Pulled the chain out of the bar groove and it was dry. I took it back to the dealer and told him it wasn't oiling, he said he'd have a look at it. When I went to pick it up I asked what he had found? His reply ... nothing.
He takes me out back to a piece of wood, starts the saw and points the bar tip at a piece of wood (I play along and just let him go through the motions) after about 45 seconds a faint black line begins to develop. He says this is how you know it oiling just fine. He shuts the saw off and hands it back to me. I go to pull the the chain out of the bar to show him how dry it is and he stops me and says be careful that will be hot! NO S**T. Thats the problem! The saws only been running for two minutes not even cutting and it's already starting to heat up. I tell him I don't think it's putting out enough oil. He says it is and the new oilers are very "conservative"due to EPA regs. He recommends I just cut with it and go from there.
So I'm wondering....
1- Is this saw working correctly?(This is the only non-adjustable oiler saw I've ever owned)
2- If I use it and burn up the bar and chain will stihl cover that (doubt it)
3- Is there anything I can do to increase the oil flow?

To the OP, so what was the outcome? The reason I'm asking is I just picked up a new MS250 a couple weeks ago. Went to use it for the first time and the bar/chain started overheating. Pulled the chain out of the bar groove and it was dry. I took it back to the dealer and told him it wasn't oiling, he said he'd have a look at it. When I went to pick it up I asked what he had found? His reply ... nothing.
He takes me out back to a piece of wood, starts the saw and points the bar tip at a piece of wood (I play along and just let him go through the motions) after about 45 seconds a faint black line begins to develop. He says this is how you know it oiling just fine. He shuts the saw off and hands it back to me. I go to pull the the chain out of the bar to show him how dry it is and he stops me and says be careful that will be hot! NO S**T. Thats the problem! The saws only been running for two minutes not even cutting and it's already starting to heat up. I tell him I don't think it's putting out enough oil. He says it is and the new oilers are very "conservative"due to EPA regs. He recommends I just cut with it and go from there.
So I'm wondering....
1- Is this saw working correctly?(This is the only non-adjustable oiler saw I've ever owned)
2- If I use it and burn up the bar and chain will stihl cover that (doubt it)
3- Is there anything I can do to increase the oil flow?

Your dealer is one of mant dipsheits working for Stihl! Why can't they all be like THALL? I wish I could find one anywhere near to where I live that knows his arse from a hole in the ground. I mean heck, you might as well buy from a big box store if you're looking for CS at some of the dealers around me. I havent been to one that can even take a clutch cover off. Thats why I work on my own saws and if I get stumped I post it on here. These guys on here know what theyre talking about. You can't trust alot of the Stihl dealers these days. The ones that you can are few and far in between.

I would just take it back to them and raise cain till they did something. The chain should have oil on it after holding the throttle down that long. You should see it in the groove sticking to the drivelinks when you lift the chain from the bar.

Your dealer is one of mant dipsheits working for Stihl!

The chain should have oil on it after holding the throttle down that long. You should see it in the groove sticking to the drivelinks when you lift the chain from the bar.

:agree2: I was just wondering what other peoples opinons were on the matter.

Back