Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask a question? I have never run a M-tronic saw, and have only run one Stihl in my life, and I don't even know what model it was offhand. So full disclosure, I love my simple saws.

I saw someone mention pulling the electronic stuff off and just putting a "standard" carb on. So why not toss a carb from an 066/660 (did I get those right?) on and see what happens? That would, from a troubleshooting perspective, eliminate a variable (the non-adjustable carb). Heck, I'd rather have a carb with screws on it than not any day.

Just an honest question! :reading:

If you go back a few (?) pages, before all the BS, there was mention of someone putting an 066 carb on one, and it was a direct fit. @mdavlee mentioned something about having to 'fool' the computer into thinking it was still M-tronic. And maybe the coil would need to be swapped out? I'm not very knowledgable on the subject, that's just what I remember reading somewhere.

Hoping maybe we can find the right fooler and just be able to run the stock coil. I just need time and a 661 to fool with it.
Damn. If you wasn't so far away, I'd send you my 661 to play with. Shipping would be $150 round trip!!

Depends on how big a box. I've sent several lately for $30-35.

Im surprised no one has broken into the map setting, granted a tuner would be too big to mount to a saw but it would be a great start.

There is a carb version of the 661 over in Europe. So maybe there is a European member here that would be willing to get the parts... Or maybe sell some here that really wanted one, a Carb version 661.

Damn. If you wasn't so far away, I'd send you my 661 to play with. Shipping would be $150 round trip!!

fedex been nicer to me lately than ups.

Hoping maybe we can find the right fooler and just be able to run the stock coil. I just need time and a 661 to fool with it.

yeah but don't we want an Unlimited coil? heh

Unlimited would be good. Be nice to have an easy coil to find on there.

With insurance too?
Yes. Smaller the box the less it costs. Sent one to Illinois for $32 and one 300 miles in VA for $35. The box to VA had a 394 and the other a 372. Insured to 495 or something like that with ups

Yes. Smaller the box the less it costs. Sent one to Illinois for $32 and one 300 miles in VA for $35. The box to VA had a 394 and the other a 372. Insured to 495 or something like that with ups
Yeah, but I think Ca is a little further away. :)

It would be interesting to hook this problematic 661 up to the mdg1 and see what the fuel settings are and compare them to a broken in stock 661.

When my 661 **** the bed 6 out of the seven times it was on the shop the computer didn't show any issues . only one time it showed a fuel issue and that's when they replaced the controller. And all that did was polish the turd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

well my testing shows it makes most power with huge openings on small logs and falls behind on large logs. I'm not going to pretend to understand why . But it does. And the fact is, is that you haven't THOROUGHLY tested it on large logs. So your statement of it makes the most power is somewhat false.

Which is why I know my muff modded 661 could get damn close to your ported 661 on a 36" bar 3 back to back cuts on a big ass log. But once you fix the imbalance...

1. the imbalance is the problem with your saw
2. max power = finding the right degree of opening up...that is hard and requires a lot of testing.

what you want to do is, say these mods are good enough and then tune the saw for the mods. The saw is tuning itself ideally all the time...you can't just say these mods are good enough. You have to actually FIND good mods that work with the ideal tune that the saw is finding. ...not what you THINK is good.

For those of you that don't know what's going on here, RB is just a little cry baby because I showed him his pathetic testing methodology and wouldn't port his saw for free.

In the beginning, I tried to support RB. As time went on, it became more and more clear that he didn't have a clue what he was doing. Yet, I tried to stay cordial. He asked me multiple times over a course of months to port his saw. But, because he can't run a saw, I wasn't willing to port his saw unless there was actually something in it for me. I told him I'd port his saw IF HE had it tested on a dyno both before and after the porting, knowing that his testing proved nothing. When the dyno couldn't be done, he got all butt hurt that I wouldn't port his saw for free. (Yes, this is same guy begged me to port his saw, repeatedly) He had the audacity to start a thread and tried to call me out as a liar, just as he'll do again as soon as I post this. Of course, the gloves came off at this point. Here he is again today, slinging mud, making false accusations, and still trying to convince us that we should value a 5° difference in bar temps, lol. This guy is pathetic. Instead of lashing out like a child, you should go learn how to listen to a saw and hold it in its optimal RPM instead trying to find a chain that will do it for you.

Both of you received a public warning and 2 points for your behavior. You are both flaming each other and it is not allowed. You both allowed this to escalate from a discussion, to a challenge, to flaming and you bother are to blame. This violates terms of use Rule #2.

@redbull660, It is perfectly fine to have an opinion about how a saw should be modded or tuned and what you perceive as flaws however, it is not acceptable to ram it down their throat repeatedly and escalate it beyond a friendly challenge. You continued to badger the subject and flame about your opinions. Its quite simple, state your opinion and move on.

@blsnelling, You are also entitled to an opinion and have the right to defend your work but you also have to do it with class and not participate in flaming. The quoted post above is one an example of going too far and because of your participation in this matter you received the same reprimand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back