Problems with johnsered 630, Please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj05y

Reaction score
I was given this chain saw buy a frend of mine, it was not running, i wanted to use it to power a go cart,

(1st question, would it have enought torque to do so??)

I stripped and cleaned it, new spark plug and now it runs, ish,

Problems,
1, the stop switch dont work, (the chain, bar, clutch n brake plate are removered, dont know if that would make a difference) if you start it once, let it idle, the hit the switch, fine, it stops, but if you rev it a bit then hit stop, it putters 4 a while, n i've to kill it with the idle speed with a screw driver,

2, sometimes it idles fine, some times it sounds like i lightly reving it, as in nearly cutting out, then revs up, then nearly cuts out, n revs again, is that to do with the idle speed? does it need to be turned up or down? i aint to sure,

3, i read in another thread not to run it with the chain n bar off cos clutch can fly off,,, is it dangourous to run it with the clutch n no brake plate?? (i was goin to wrap the "big loose cyclinder around the clutch" (very technical i know) with a belt, n wrap it round the wheel, (i'm aware the clutch is large n will need to be geared down so mayb there'll be two belts, if u know what i mean)

Sillly questions!?!
(stuff i curious about)

1, what happens if you hold your finger on the throttle with no chain, bar, clutch? will it over rev n go bang?

2, how do i know its over reving?

3, what happens if the gas oil mixture aint right?

i hope some one has a vague idea wats up with my lil saw,
i'd really be gratefull if some one could help out,

Thanks a million,
jj05y,

(p.s, if any one needs ne welding done in the dublin, ireland area, gimmie a shout, i'm aware this isnt an irish site, but u neva no,,,,)

Check the switch with an ohmeter to see resistance,will tell you if she is bad.If you got a switch with a plastic body,the switch is probably done.Check also if the screw holding the switch is tigtened enough.If the switch is ok,then its probably the wire coming out from the module going to the switch,its probably broken INSIDE the plastic,you can use an ohmeter to check too.If your idle goes up and down,you got an air leak prbably,you have to pressure check your engine or have a shop do it.It could be also your throttle flap(the round brass thing that opens when you give throttle) that is worn each side.Your clutch WILL fly off if you run w/o a chain on it.If you install a pulley of some sort on your sprocket ,be sure the clutch is hidden by a cover.You can overrev if you run saw lean on mixture,i dont have the max rpm for 630,but i would say around 13000 is max.The mixture has to be around 50/1.If you run richer,more smoke and a leaner mixture could bring seizure.

thankin you!

thanks for the help, the manuals r well handy,
i stick a foto up if the project is eva finished!

but???? does that mean that you cant run the saw with out a chain on, watso eva, even if the bar n brake cover are on n everythin?

wat bout if i removed everythin! n just left with the axel stickin outa the motor, n then bolted a pully on there, i'm aware there would be no clutch but i could just make a simple 3 pullies n a loose belt one?? (stick one o the pullyies on a lever, n pull to engage the clutch) does any one know do they actually work?

Last edited:
but???? does that mean that you cant run the saw with out a chain on, watso eva, even if the bar n brake cover are on n everythin? ....

You can start it up, and run it a bit up, but go nowhere near full trottle, as it will easily overrev without the resistanse of the chain.

Overreving is bad for the engine........:bang: :bang: :taped:

You can start it up, and run it a bit up, but go nowhere near full trottle, as it will easily overrev without the resistanse of the chain.

Overreving is bad for the engine........:bang: :bang: :taped:

Absolutely Troll!
Small q here for origional poster, why not leave the clutch on and just add your drive gear (or pully) to it? Certainly seems that would give a margin of saftety for your engine. Old school chum had a cart with big twin Macs, used the origional clutches and a chain driven rear, that thing would scream to over 70mph (I didn't have the kahuna's to try it out, much to my later regret, I think it saved my kidneys tho as it was all solid tyres).
Good luck on your project! (be nice to see some pics of the work in progress too!)

:cheers:

Last edited:
dont know,

sprig, i like ur option, n thought bout it, n i could use the brake ne everthin!!! BUT,
how do i attach a sprocket to the clutch, twould av to be milled to fit just right, (n i dont av a milling machine) either that or jam lil bits a metal in the current one to make teeth,

Does any one know what all these parts are made of? (the clutch n stuff)
is it weldable?

Latest posts

Back