Problems with my 361.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 361 blues. Usually played on a 1961 Gibson EBo with a harp.

You say it don’t run well
Got no power at all
It’s like drivin’ Miss Daisy
Only slower, down to a crawl

Wont idle at gun point
And you fit to be tied
But what do you expect?
When it sais “stihl” on the side

Now up in the bucket
Stihl floods out again
If it don’t make me some money
Saw is going to be chow mein

Stihl just sits there a laughin’
Sais “well yous gots to pay your dues”
Cuz I just spent 600 dollars
For the 361 blues!

You paid 600.00 Cent, wow, you should have put a exit only sign over your hiny before you got the shaft like that,LOLOLOL

LOL...Bro...Anthony is a "straight-up" dude... sooo...why no answer...odd...???

Where oh where is our boy??? Do we need to send out the hounds???
J2F
:cheers:

Lol. Call off the hounds boys, I'm here. Got busy yesterday.

The problem was really pretty simple. I took the sprocket off and found the problem before I even got the drum off. It looked to be a melted peice of red nylon baler twine between the sprocket and cage. I'll post a couple pics. No broke springs or wear. I'll grease it up and slap her back together in a few.

Thanks fellers!

Here ya go:
0214112118b.jpg

0214112118a.jpg

0214112118.jpg

Well, the cage looks to be trashed. Seems to have some plastic melted in it. I'm soaking it in carb cleaner to see if it lets loose.

What about cleaning around the clutch and all up in there? Whats the best thing to use? carb cleaner?

Well, the cage looks to be trashed. Seems to have some plastic melted in it. I'm soaking it in carb cleaner to see if it lets loose.

What about cleaning around the clutch and all up in there? Whats the best thing to use? carb cleaner?

Just get a new cage,,, take some fine emory cloth and popish the area on the pto shaft where the needle cage runs in case there is some plastic stuck on it

I suppose you can use carb/brake cleaner on the clutch area but I Use the Purple cleaner cut with water50/50 let it soak a minute, blast it with a water jet nozzle then blow it clean with compressed air Just my preference,,, rather not use the high end solvents if something else will work,,, a gallon of the purple stuff goes along way.. and it cuts that baroil wood fines really well

Last edited:
What Riverat said I just cleaned mine with purple power diluted with water. Works really good then I used a tooth brush to scrub it and sprayed it out with water. Just make sure you get it nice and dry after with an air gun. Then re grease the bearing with a bit of grease and your good to go.

I suppose some crude joke about the 361 being held together with little more than spit and bailing twine would be out of place here? Oops.

I suppose some crude joke about the 361 being held together with little more than spit and bailing twine would be out of place here? Oops.

Cent that ole spit and baler twine are tuffer than you think. Here's a 361 that got hit by a 40foot 2foot round oak tree. Story goes some of hack from NE was sawing a tree on a windy day and the tree came back on him. He dropped the saw and ran, wasn't you by chance was it,haha

Cent that ole spit and baler twine are tuffer than you think. Here's a 361 that got hit by a 40foot 2foot round oak tree. Story goes some of hack from NE was sawing a tree on a windy day and the tree came back on him. He dropped the saw and ran, wasn't you by chance was it,haha

Looks to me like some upstanding citizen was trying to do a public service. No foul in trying to put a 361 out of its misery.

Old bailing twine and rusty woven wire are a bane. That plastic twine is murder on rotary mowers spindle bearings. Only thing worse is discarded monofilament fishing line. I once hit a piece of rusty woven fence with an 80hp stump grinder on a fence line clearing job. You would be amazed at how tough that old wire is, how fast it locked up the grinder wheel and how long it took to clear it out. Nasty stuff.

The 361 blues redux (directors cut) now with 1965 Gibson Flying V riff.

Now that old southern cat snagglepuss
Is telling me to “exit stage left”
He is always trying to tell folks
That he knows this saw best

But I here to tell you
Don’t you listen to his jive
Cuz he aint trying to making a livin’
Cutting trees, just to stay alive

Now you poke holes in the muffler
You trim them limiter caps
It don’t make no difference
Cuttin for profit aint where this saw is at

Yes it’s got orange and white
Now it’s got a decomp too
And I stihl gots me a heapin’ helpin’
Of the stihl 361 blues

Looks to me like some upstanding citizen was trying to do a public service. No foul in trying to put a 361 out of its misery.

Old bailing twine and rusty woven wire are a bane. That plastic twine is murder on rotary mowers spindle bearings. Only thing worse is discarded monofilament fishing line. I once hit a piece of rusty woven fence with an 80hp stump grinder on a fence line clearing job. You would be amazed at how tough that old wire is, how fast it locked up the grinder wheel and how long it took to clear it out. Nasty stuff.

Hard to kill a 361 Cent, especially when the doctor like me is in the house. That crushed 361 is in the Cuda getting all washed up and ready for surgery as I type this. It will be like new once I'm done with it. When ya gonna send Miss Daisy down so I can get her running right? Think of all the lung power you will gain not having nothing to groan about anymore,LOLOL

Yeah twine is murder on sprocket bearings too. Gotta be carefull what you run into at times....

Last edited:
Hard to kill a 361 Cent, especially when the doctor like me is in the house. That crushed 361 is in the Cuda getting all washed up and ready for surgery as I type this. It will be like new once I'm done with it. When ya gonna send Miss Daisy down so I can get her running right? Think of all the lung power you will gain not having nothing to groan about anymore,LOLOL

Yeah twine is murder on sprocket bearings too. Gotta be carefull what you run into at times....

Heck I've see that Cuda in action before,,,, uhhh first hand I believe!!!!!!!
It wont be long ole THall10326 will have that jewel fixed up in shortorder,,,

and I got the pics to prove it!!!!! Aint that right Pardner????

Heck I've see that Cuda in action before,,,, uhhh first hand I believe!!!!!!!
It wont be long ole THall10326 will have that jewel fixed up in shortorder,,,

and I got the pics to prove it!!!!! Aint that right Pardner????

You got it baby. You did a good job working in the shop with me when you was here. Hell I shoulda gave you the keys and went on home. Yeah that 361 is a mess but looking it over closely its really in good shape, a low hour saw. Needs alot of attention but it will be like new here in alittle bit.

When ya coming back to Va River?, I'd like to take a few days off and just let you take over the shop. Keep all the tips ya get and remember to lock the door when ya go home in the evening, can't be having cats like Cent sneaking in here after hours searching for 361's,hehehe

I was just up that way last month, had a little inspection Job over @ the Army base Near Mt. Vernon then had to scoot over to the naval air base on the other side of Chesapeake bay... but this ticket had a short fuse on it so I had to Scoot... I got to arrange some training and can make a week out of it and we'll catch up on old times,,,,,,

I was just up that way last month, had a little inspection Job over @ the Army base Near Mt. Vernon then had to scoot over to the naval air base on the other side of Chesapeake bay... but this ticket had a short fuse on it so I had to Scoot... I got to arrange some training and can make a week out of it and we'll catch up on old times,,,,,,

Sounds good, come on by when ya can. I'm eager to wash the saw grease off my hands and go home and drink ta ta's while you run the shop!!!!!!

My 361 works just as the stihl gods intended it to run. If I go letting you tinker with it, the world would probably fall out of orbit. Sides, we Yankees would never start a civil conversation if we had nothing to complain about. Most folks focus on the weather. Me, I like stihl. Ayuh, can’t change the weather but…

Keep all the tips ya get and remember to lock the door when ya go home in the evening, can't be having cats like Cent sneaking in here after hours searching for 361's,hehehe

I don’t need anymore stihl branded kettlebells that cant get out of there own way. This old tom cat might just sneak in and gaff that sweet little 346xp or that 5100 you boast about. Trouble comes in with crossin’ that Mason Dixon line. I would half to burn my boots after touching southern soil. Not much profit in destroying a good set of Whites for a 346xp. Now if you got your hands on a 390xp or a fine looking redhead 2188…

My 361 works just as the stihl gods intended it to run. If I go letting you tinker with it, the world would probably fall out of orbit. Sides, we Yankees would never start a civil conversation if we had nothing to complain about. Most folks focus on the weather. Me, I like stihl. Ayuh, can’t change the weather but…

Well hell your no fun. I got no problem striking up a chat with yankees or southerners, makes no differance to me, I'm right and thats that, don't care where ya come from,haha

I don’t need anymore stihl branded kettlebells that cant get out of there own way. This old tom cat might just sneak in and gaff that sweet little 346xp or that 5100 you boast about. Trouble comes in with crossin’ that Mason Dixon line. I would half to burn my boots after touching southern soil. Not much profit in destroying a good set of Whites for a 346xp. Now if you got your hands on a 390xp or a fine looking redhead 2188…

Well tell ya what Cent, ya want that 346 and 5100 of mine, pack some change in ya pocket and come on down and get em. I've been playing with that new 261 and trust me I won't miss either one of the other two. Givem time for their behinds to heal up before ya come getem though. Far as that 390 goes I was reading a piece by TreeSlinger about those, he thought they were the best thing since the queen had the pups, he thought. Seems he's had a change of heart about them, claims they didn't hold up to well. Hell he went as far as to say they don't hold up like the 660, how dare he say such a thing but I got 660's just in case,hehehe

Hell he went as far as to say they don't hold up like the 660, how dare he say such a thing but I got 660's just in case,hehehe

Sure $570 confederate dollars for a 50cc saw. Hope that comes with someone to run it, cuz that’s the only way that thing will move off of the shelf. Stihl aint worth the price of a good pair of boots.

I cut trees for a living, not shake paint, call worms out of the ground or vibrate bubbles out of concrete. You need to come up with some better bait than a relic like an ms660 if you intend to hook a northern bigmouth. Healthcare is wicked expensive up here and I can’t afford the cortisone shots necessary to run that Raynaud mill. Black lung is one thing, white finger is another. What else you got??

Latest posts

Back