Problems with split-tails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguy224

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been having some problems with my split tail, that i just recentley purchased. I have been climbing for almost 3 years and i have always climbed very traditional. But now i am trying to convert to the flashier european style. I have a Petzl Mini Boss saddle and when i attach the working end of my rope to my left D-ring, then attach my split-tail to my right D-ring, then my split-tail to the running end of my rope.

Ok the problem with that is that when i try and ascend(using the hip-thrusting method) only the left side of my saddle wants to pull up. Now my questions are........is the split tail method used for ascending, but should both carabiners be clipped to my central anchor point, instead of on opposite sides.

thanks,
Jimmy

The way you climbed before you had essentially 1 point of attachment and the balance of your sys was smack in the middle, so the during ascent the "pull" was in the middle. Now you've got 2 points of attachment and the balance is split between these 2 points. The closer the points of attachment come together, the more the "pull" comes from 1 location.

Throw a carabiner onto your D's during ascent [watch for crossloading]. This will help to bring the "pull" back to the center location you're used too. Once in the tree, release the D's and work away.

Cheers,
BAB

Yeah thats i have been doing it, but i didnt know if it was the right way. I just wanted to make sure. So i should attach to my central anchor point, ascend, then split the weight once i am in the tree.
Thanks a lot

I am not quite sure if I understand your problem, but I think I do, so I'll offer a bit of input! :)

Before I put a bridge on my saddle (a master II) I climbed with the spliced eye clipped in to the central attachment point, and the friction hitch to the right attachment point. When ascending (hip thrusting) I would pull on the friction hitch side of the rope, and the spliced eye would pull from the center, keeping me even. I never noticed any inconvenience by having the friction hitch off-center.

Maybe give that a shot?

love
nick

Before I put a bridge on my saddle (a master II) I climbed with the spliced eye clipped in to the central attachment point, and the friction hitch to the right attachment point. When ascending (hip thrusting) I would pull on the friction hitch side of the rope, and the spliced eye would pull from the center, keeping me even. I never noticed any inconvenience by having the friction hitch off-center.

This is how I climb 95% of the time in my Versatile saddle. The only time I move my biners to the outer points is on removals where the rope might be used as a second flipline.

KentuckySawyer said:
That first paragraph is from Nick's previous post. I am quoting impaired.

In the lower right hand corner of each post, there is a button that says "Quote." Click on that to quote someone.

love
nick

Make sure you don't delete the [ or the ] or the / or the word "quote". What you are quoting has to start with [QUxxxOTE=KentuckySawyer] and end with [/QUxxxOTE]

(I put triple xxx's in there so the computer doesn't thing I was trying to quote the words "and end with" as in
KentuckySawyer said:
and end with

I think this has something to do with like HTML and computer code mumbo jumbo stuff that I don't know about.

Try it again!

love
nick

NickfromWI said:
Make sure you don't delete the [ or the ] or the / or the word "quote". What you are quoting has to start with [QUxxxOTE=KentuckySawyer] and end with [/QUxxxOTE]

(I put triple xxx's in there so the computer doesn't thing I was trying to quote the words "and end with" as in

I think this has something to do with like HTML and computer code mumbo jumbo stuff that I don't know about.

Try it again!

How'm I doing?
What were we talking about?

I concur w/ the other fellas here, move your climbing line to the middle. When I was on my M2, I did as Nick described, line in the middle, hitch to the side a bit. It worked just fine. Now Im on a Tree Austria and it has a floating D, which I prefer SO MUCH more.

I used a Traverse saddle for a while, which has the floating D rings, until I switched to a Versatile. I just don't care for that shifting back and forth.

What is it that you prefer about the floating D, David?

Some of the newer saddles I've seen don't travel as far as the Traverse does, but I still prefer the stationary points of the Versatile and Master saddles.

The reason I prefer the floater is there is more mobility while working in the tree. You can turn your body w/o needing an extra 2' of rope, or your saddle twisting around your waist and getting off center.

I had a weaver floater for 8 yrs and switched to a M2 to try one out (got a great deal on Ebay), couldnt make a decision in only 2-3 trees. By the time I decided i really didnt care for it, it was too dirty to call new. 1 1/2yrs later, I found the TA and gladly switched back. I will admit, it took a couple weeks to get reaquainted w/ the floating aspect, but Im over that now.

KentuckySawyer said:
I used a Traverse saddle for a while, which has the floating D rings, until I switched to a Versatile. I just don't care for that shifting back and forth.

What is it that you prefer about the floating D, David?

You guys, is there a difference between a 'floating D' and a 'rolling D'? Are they the same except for the incorporation of a roller. vs, say, dropping a Maillon Delta link onto the bridge. I have always called it a sliding D. Are these essentially the same term?

I know I'm splitting hairs on the nomenclature, but that's what we do here.

Anyway, I like the versatile, also because you have the stationary points of attachment, if you want, OR the floating D, if you want, ot technically, both at the same time, if you want. Hence the name, 'Versatlle'.

TM,

I think you nailed the name thing right on the head: nomenclature.

I think thats the only difference.

BTW, do you really carry ALL that stuff in the tree w/ you all the time?

Oh, definitely not. I mean, I carry a lot of stuff because I'm too lazy to take it off, but never this much stuff.

The Petzl Pro Traxion, the thing attached to the blue biner on the left, I would never carry that into a tree. I don't even know why it's on there. That's for pulling trees over.

I think I must have been doing a zipline that day, or I was lowering limbs alone and had to retrieve my rope while in the tree. I don't normally pack that many slings. This must be an old photo because I've been climbing with two Silkys for about two years.

The chainsaw lanyard is buried in there somewhere.
attachment_23231.php

Latest posts

Back