problems with stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this saw as a box of pieces which I attempted to puzzle out. Put in a meteor piston, it will run on prime, but it won't stay running. (I've already rebuilt the carb and replaced fuel line) Don't know if it matters but I suspect I'm missing a piece. On most old stihls ive seen a metal ring that slides over the carb bolts and supports the intake boot? This saw did not have that, do I need that and if so, does anyone know the part number?IMG_1501.jpegIMG_1503.jpeg

I wonder if the impulse line is blocked with that blue sillicone, well thats what it looks like.

or
whats the impulse line look like, perished, or sound ?

IPL # 21

Or is it what used to be blue insulation on the bare wire remains left on the kill switch wire?

Will that bared wire bouncing on the bottom of the carb have any bearing on the saws ability to continue to run?

Or is it what used to be blue insulation on the bare wire remains left on the kill switch wire?

Will that bared wire bouncing on the bottom of the carb have any bearing on the saws ability to continue to run?
yeah, thought that too, but it looked more like silicone than melted wire, and assumed wire would be black as well.
but either way, yes and yes.

yeah, thought that too, but it looked more like silicone than melted wire, and assumed wire would be black as well.
but either way, yes and yes.

It does look a bit like silicone- maybe liquid insulation where a past owner tried to coat that bare wire rather than replace it?
Either way, I would be more worried about that wire and what caused the insulation to be absent, replacing it with an insulated wire and seeing if the saw actually runs before worrying too much about an intake washer.

The second yes to the obvious second question- was not really needed- was more my way of stating the obvious that so far had been overlooked via a question rather than a statement. ;)

It does look a bit like silicone- maybe liquid insulation where a past owner tried to coat that bare wire rather than replace it?
Either way, I would be more worried about that wire and what caused the insulation to be absent, replacing it with an insulated wire and seeing if the saw actually runs before worrying too much about an intake washer.
saw runs on prime, even with the bare wire issue. I think the previous owner had a bas seal around fuel line into tanks, so he attempted to seal with some kind of silicon

saw runs on prime, even with the bare wire issue. I think the previous owner had a bas seal around fuel line into tanks, so he attempted to seal with some kind of silicon

Okay, if you are fine running a bare kill wire- then you have a fuel delivery problem or as Trains stated a bad impulse.

Back