problems with stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The small section of hose after elbow
#19 make sure the length isn't too long can cause a kink. I would also make sure that there is no silicone in the impulse connection on the carb.
Fuel filter new? Try without the fuel filter.

I got this saw as a box of pieces which I attempted to puzzle out. Put in a meteor piston, it will run on prime, but it won't stay running. (I've already rebuilt the carb and replaced fuel line) Don't know if it matters but I suspect I'm missing a piece. On most old stihls ive seen a metal ring that slides over the carb bolts and supports the intake boot? This saw did not have that, do I need that and if so, does anyone know the part number?View attachment 1084662
Saw looks like it caught fire or at least got hot enough to melt the carb mount and probably the insulation on the kill switch ground wire. You may still have an air leak at the carb/boot interface because of this.

Saw looks like it caught fire or at least got hot enough to melt the carb mount and probably the insulation on the kill switch ground wire. You may still have an air leak at the carb/boot interface because of this.
^^^^^

Bingo we have a winner! Carb housing has melted from ~ 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock where the boot/carb seats. Did the boot feel the heat too? Looks so.

Get a new boot and build up carb housing with some JB weld, then file it flat/smooth.

Carefully check coil/kill wire or bare spots/damaged insulation. Ground wire can live without insulation, but replace that too.

looks like there IS supposed to be a ring! Any idea what it's called or a part number? Looks like I also may be missing part 42 and 43 in that diagram
Pre 1990 they came with the shim and the gasket (42 & 43). After that they had the inner ring like 066 and 660 and carb bolts straight on. Much simpler and less parts. That's how I did mine. You do need the outer ring as well.

Pre 1990 they came with the shim and the gasket (42 & 43). After that they had the inner ring like 066 and 660 and carb bolts straight on. Much simpler and less parts. That's how I did mine. You do need the outer ring as well.
just to clarify, you think I need shim, gasket and outer ring? is that correct? Thanks

That’s the old style. You need 42 and 43
On closer inspection I suspect that you are correct. I just automatically used a new boot and inner and outer rings and set it up like an 066, including a WJ 67.
I think items 42 and 43 were unavailable here. Did the carb box and boot change after 1990? My cases are 87/88 but I suspect that the tank housing has been replaced.

On closer inspection I suspect that you are correct. I just automatically used a new boot and inner and outer rings and set it up like an 066, including a WJ 67.
I think items 42 and 43 were unavailable here. Did the carb box and boot change after 1990? My cases are 87/88 but I suspect that the tank housing has been replaced.
The old boot has a bigger lip. I believe the carburetor box would also have to be changed to accommodate the newer style boot with the outer ring.

The first 064s used the two pieces I mentioned. The plate has the inside ring built in. It uses the intake manifold with the larger lip. This .is what you have. I have never seen the one with the inner bushing separate on the setup in the US. Can't say it won't work. Just do not use the outside ring.

Latest posts

Back