Project 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job,only thing I would have left the inner baffle in place to me it seems to rob power off a stock 660 if the inner baffle is removed... might not notice in softer woods but you sure can when cutting hardwood makes them flat slow to rev up and lacking in torque thats just my opinion...On a high note if removed it sure does make em loud! hope your got muffs....

Muffler mod is done for future changes.

Good job,only thing I would have left the inner baffle in place to me it seems to rob power off a stock 660 if the inner baffle is removed... might not notice in softer woods but you sure can when cutting hardwood makes them flat slow to rev up and lacking in torque thats just my opinion...On a high note if removed it sure does make em loud! hope your got muffs....

Don't be silly. We all know that the louder a saw the more power it must be producing. It is no different to that young kid with the 3" straight through exhaust on his Honda. Get your thinking cap on old son...

Man that made me laugh! lol :biggrin:Way back in 1985 I did take one of them there muffler thingy ma bobs off my DT175! man was I the fastest thing on the planet!:hmm3grin2orange:

Even if you weren't the fastest thing on the planet at least you'd have sounded like it :)

Did you really reuse that old melted piston?????::msp_ohmy: What you paid for a set of OEM stihl rings could have got u a meteor piston and rings that is just as good as OEM and WAYYYY cheaper. NO way would I reuse that piston unless I had no choice.

Did you really reuse that old melted piston?????::msp_ohmy: What you paid for a set of OEM stihl rings could have got u a meteor piston and rings that is just as good as OEM and WAYYYY cheaper. NO way would I reuse that piston unless I had no choice.

He reused it because it was a challenge to get an old burnt out saw running again :cheers:

He reused it because it was a challenge to get an old burnt out saw running again :cheers:

Soooooooo now its running is he still going to use the old worn out piston?:msp_unsure: Its like freeing up a worn out stuck bearing and reusing it. When a new one only cost $10 or recaping a bald tire that has a plug in the sidewall. See what I'm getting at?

Soooooooo now its running is he still going to use the old worn out piston?:msp_unsure: Its like freeing up a worn out stuck bearing and reusing it. When a new one only cost $10 or recaping a bald tire that has a plug in the sidewall. See what I'm getting at?

Oh FFS!! As MCW pointed out. This was all set out to be a challenge to see what's possible. I shall have a new cyl kit in a month or 2. If it stops before then whoopi do! It's an experiment.

Hey I can certainly see your point and a new P&C kit and piston were offered to Vince but some people see this sort of thing as a challenge. Personally I would have stuck a new piston in it but on older saws where new parts are difficult or impossible to come by fixing up damaged pistons such as Vince has is commonplace and does work. I did this to a straight gassed 192T a few years ago and that saw is still running strong with reasonably good compression.

Hey I can certainly see your point and a new P&C kit and piston were offered to Vince but some people see this sort of thing as a challenge. Personally I would have stuck a new piston in it but on older saws where new parts are difficult or impossible to come by fixing up damaged pistons such as Vince has is commonplace and does work. I did this to a straight gassed 192T a few years ago and that saw is still running strong with reasonably good compression.

yep done the same thing with my 034 while I was waiting for parts,i actually ran that piston back to front and it too was a good runner

Banged a tachometer on it and tune him up. Was revving well over 15g
Hope to run a couple of tanks thru it tomorrow.

6F0E80C5-9503-4003-A329-2AB0EAAA1A94-751-000000970DA5799A_zps835f976b.jpg

Back