Project Stumpbroke Dolmar PS-540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpys Customs

Stumpbroke
Reaction score
This was a fun build. I was given free reign to do whatever I wanted as long as it was still able to be used for fire wood duty.:rock:

It's a really clean specimen.
100_2676.jpg

100_2677.jpg

Not real impressive stock though, but still a well built 54cc saw.
[video=youtube_share;7pDrWhJ7UEM]http://youtu.be/7pDrWhJ7UEM[/video]

One hurdle to over come was the piston skirt was to short to lower the cyl any. I found that a 029 piston would work. The skirts are longer & the deck height is a lil bit taller. I only used the top ring & re-located the locating pin to center, more on why later.
100_2699.jpg

Another drawback is it has open transfers, I am pleased to see that they do have plenty of volume though.
100_2704.jpg

The squishband was cut.
100_2708.jpg

Plenty of room for improvement on the intake side.
100_2702.jpg

Same goes for the exhaust side of things.
100_2703.jpg

100_2705.jpg

Here's the reason for centering the ring. I also didn't go as wide as I ad it marked since It would have went through on the outside.
100_2706.jpg

Exhaust side
100_2707.jpg

100_2711.jpg

I'm super new to porting, but I'm ecstatic to see an open port saw getting a work over. Can you explain the intake side a little? I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I'd love to know more.

Nice!!!!!

The induction got an upgrade too. I originally fitted it with a carb from a 372xp, but it ended up being too much. It now sports a walbro HD off of a Stihl MS290.

Here's the 372 carb.
100_2713.jpg

And the 290
100_2715.jpg

The swap was pretty easy. The throttle linkage worked just fine with a lil tweaking and used the choke lever from a 372. I had to remove some material from the plastic base around the carb. I also had to install an external impulse line. The intake block & air filter base had to be opened up considerably to match up with the bigger carb.
When I switched to the 290 carb all I had to do was swap the throttle & choke shafts to the 290 carb body.

The muffler needed some attention too, very choked up.
100_2700.jpg

I split it & cut the tubes off of the baffle so it will be an open can. Also opened the existing outlet.
100_2701.jpg

I tig welded it back together and added a second port to the side.
100_2712.jpg

Stock 27.87
with Stihl Piston 19.20:msp_thumbsup:

It liked that grabby chain alot better after the port job:msp_thumbsup:

Nice job Stump...you helped that saw a buntch. Have to call that one a Dollie on Stilts} :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

7 secs. is a nice gain . Do you think the finger ports helped ? Good to see someone massaging an open port saw too !

Back