Project Stumpbroke MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpys Customs

Stumpbroke
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to have a turn with a 261. Brandy new & the blessing to do whatever I wanted to do with it & still keep it useable for more than a few cuts at a time.:rock:

100_2511.jpg

100_2510.jpg

And a stock vid
[video=youtube_share;iWEMyOAzEYM]http://youtu.be/iWEMyOAzEYM[/video]

This is another catch up thread. I finished this saw earlier this week. I will admit, I think I found my new favorite Stihl if I was ever to get one for myself.

Under the hood is a stratafied (not for long:msp_biggrin:)50cc. My first impressions of this saw were not to bad in stock form. I had a chance to run SHOWME's ported 261 @ the Jasper GTG a couple of weeks ago. It was a very strong saw for a 50cc.
100_2512.jpg

100_2513.jpg

100_2514.jpg

100_2515.jpg

Last edited:
For the induction I used a Walbro HD off of a 372 ( didn't have any extra 440/460 carbs). I had to swap the shafts & add a small stop on the throttle side for the idle set screw. Wasn't to big of a job to get all of this accomplished. Also the shaft holes had to be drilled out to accept the 261 shafts.

261 is on the bottom
100_2530.jpg

I also swapped out the fuel inlets to the more curved one. The impulse was removed & pluged. I had to drill the port on the face to line up with the hole in the intake boot.
100_2531.jpg

100_2532.jpg

I gutted the intake boot
100_2537.jpg

The inlet had to be bored out to the size of the bigger carb.
100_2538.jpg

I also had to trim some of the plastic partition in between the cyl & filter area.

You had a Ms261 at the shop and didn't invite me over for a test drive!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I know where I stand now :msp_sad:

All back together & doin it's thing.
100_2546.jpg

I was just glad it ran after everything I tried on it. Always a lil scary for me the first go round. I think it turned out OK
[video=youtube;TpSvWGu6YJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSvWGu6YJo&feature=share&list=ULTpSvWGu6YJo[/video]

You had a Ms261 at the shop and didn't invite me over for a test drive!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I know where I stand now :msp_sad:

If you can get over here tues it should still be here. I got a few others here you can play with to. :msp_wink:

Even got a stihl FS250 weed whacker here you could try out. :msp_biggrin:

Just at first look I got about 32 seconds stock and 23 on the ported cut. Nice!!

EDIT: I see it's already posted now. Still yet though, awesome job Stumpman!

372 carb on a ms261. Now that is just too cool man!!! :msp_smile:

I woulda used a 440/460 carb to keep it all in the family, but I didn't have any spares.
Just at first look I got about 32 seconds stock and 23 on the ported cut. Nice!!

EDIT: I see it's already posted now. Still yet though, awesome job Stumpman!

Thanks. This saw is headed out your direction to West virginia. The feller sent me three units. A MS460, MS261, and The FS250. We need to keep this guy (johnnicols is his user name) in our prayers. He got hit pretty hard with the snow storm. We need to keep every body on the east coast in our prayers for that matter. My heart breaks when I see them on the news & they just look totally lost. Did you get hit by the storm Anthony?

I woulda used a 440/460 carb to keep it all in the family, but I didn't have any spares.

Thanks. This saw is headed out your direction to West virginia. The feller sent me three units. A MS460, MS261, and The FS250. We need to keep this guy (johnnicols is his user name) in our prayers. He got hit pretty hard with the snow storm. We need to keep every body on the east coast in our prayers for that matter. My heart breaks when I see them on the news & they just look totally lost. Did you get hit by the storm Anthony?

Stump, we got hit here but not nearly as bad as they did north of us up in W. Va. Even over the Mountain in Lebanon and Honaker they got almost 2ft of snow. I'm with you man, it hurts me to see these people in such pain. I know one thing, if I was a millionaire, I would have a good place to blow some money now. Too bad millionaires don't think like we do.

Looks great Stumps, nice job on the carb swap. Where there is a will there is a way.
Will, grinders, & a big hammer.:D

Really I have to thank God for giving me the ability and the opportunity to do what I do.

Stump, we got hit here but not nearly as bad as they did north of us up in W. Va. Even over the Mountain in Lebanon and Honaker they got almost 2ft of snow. I'm with you man, it hurts me to see these people in such pain. I know one thing, if I was a millionaire, I would have a good place to blow some money now. Too bad millionaires don't think like we do.

Good to hear you're not in bad shape.

I hear ya on the millionaire thing.

I might be headed out to the east coast in a couple of weeks with the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief crew. They already deployed the first round of support. I couldn't make it though. Been praying that when they deploy the next group I'll be able to make it.

Last edited:
All back together & doin it's thing.
100_2546.jpg

I was just glad it ran after everything I tried on it. Always a lil scary for me the first go round. I think it turned out OK
[video=youtube;TpSvWGu6YJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSvWGu6YJo&feature=share&list=ULTpSvWGu6YJo[/video]

Holy crap! That sucker's pullin pretty good! I just put the first 2 tanks through mine yesterday and was very pleased. Can't wait to send it to one of you mad scientists! :)

Latest posts

Back