Project Stumpbroke MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around 9 sec. difference is amazing Stumpy! Late reading the thread but couldn't hardly believe my eyes. Beautiful port work as usual but didn't realize all the other (little) things you were going to operate on as well. Stihl saw fueled by Husky carb.... Rumers will spread!!! Hatfield and McCoys all over again! Every HUSKY ONLY friend I have MUST NEVER KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By chance did ya happen to do a before/after on static comp. ? 32:1 mix??? Any times on the 460? Thanks Stumpy and God bless ya. Will PM later. John Nichols:D:D:D

Excellent work Stumpy. You probably just built the strongest 50cc saw out there. I think you're the first one to duplicate the 261 that I had. Others have been ported similarly, but don't think the carb has been swapped on any others. I used a Zama C3M from a 044. Did I miss where you advanced the timing? Where did your compression end up? They're just shy of 200 PSI by simply removing the base gasket.

All back together & doin it's thing.
100_2546.jpg

I was just glad it ran after everything I tried on it. Always a lil scary for me the first go round. I think it turned out OK
[video=youtube;TpSvWGu6YJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSvWGu6YJo&feature=share&list=ULTpSvWGu6YJo[/video]

Excellent improvement STUMPY that is a 25 -27 % improvement over stock. Almost makes me want to get one almost.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Very good gains stumpy. I really like my 261 and will ship it off to somebody some day lol.

"I might be headed out to the east coast in a couple of weeks with the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief crew. They already deployed the first round of support. I couldn't make it though. Been praying that when they deploy the next group I'll be able to make."

Stumpy, my wife signed me up to go back east too. I won't go to NY because of there gun laws.

Last edited:
All back together & doin it's thing.
100_2546.jpg

I was just glad it ran after everything I tried on it. Always a lil scary for me the first go round. I think it turned out OK
[video=youtube;TpSvWGu6YJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSvWGu6YJo&feature=share&list=ULTpSvWGu6YJo[/video]

Is that seasoned 'black-oak' yer turning into pies?? Just wondering on the hardness factor (seasoned oak is pretty hard) . What a trasformation!!!!!!!

Nice build Stumpy! I think I may have to replace my 261 with a 'tuned' one... :rolleyes2:

Outstanding Stumpy, that baby would run with most 70cc stock saws. I'd be dang sure proud to run one. Another fine job/post!

The MS261 ported is probably my favorite work saw right now.

I bought one and got it ported for my dad's birthday back in Sept. and it's damn
nice little saw.

Pulls a 18" bar with 3/8 chain like a champ.

[video=youtube_share;0bKuzORyLQw]http://youtu.be/0bKuzORyLQw[/video]

Stumpy how many tanks did it take you to get the saw broken in?

Just wondering cause these 261's are taking a loooong time to break in.

I whole heartedly agree with you Blood on the Ice, my two took at least 15/20 tanks to get them broke in, I only realized it after I bought the second one, I thought it had something wrong with it compared to the one that already had most of a season of wood cutting on it. It just takes them awhile, longer than most.

Excellent work Stumpy. You probably just built the strongest 50cc saw out there. I think you're the first one to duplicate the 261 that I had. Others have been ported similarly, but don't think the carb has been swapped on any others. I used a Zama C3M from a 044. Did I miss where you advanced the timing? Where did your compression end up? They're just shy of 200 PSI by simply removing the base gasket.

I agree. That saw looks to bereal stout. Stumpy has been on fire lately ain't he? :rock: Just goes to show what you can accomplish with the 'big man' on your team. :msp_thumbup:

Ole Stump is definetly in the elite class of saw porters on this forum. And a class act to boot.

Wow!!! That is a huge difference. Great Job Stumpy!! I just bought a MS 261 and am considering a porting/muff mod. I would like to know how the life of the motor is affected. Does the mod shorten the life. If so by how much.

I would like to hear from people that are running Modified saws and the amount of time/years the saw has been running.

Stumpy is it alright to ask what would you charge for the Mods on the MS261

The IGN timing was advanced 5 degrees over stock. I haven't run a comp check on it since I ported it.

Is that seasoned 'black-oak' yer turning into pies?? Just wondering on the hardness factor (seasoned oak is pretty hard) . What a trasformation!!!!!!!
Red oak, not as hard as black oak, but hard enough.:msp_wink:

Damn fine job Stumpy. That thing is a beast. :msp_sneaky:
Thanks Randy.:msp_wub:

Stumpy how many tanks did it take you to get the saw broken in?

Just wondering cause these 261's are taking a loooong time to break in.
The saw is on it's first & only tank that it has ever ran. I only made a few cuts with it before I tore it down & it was new when I got it. After the mods it only made a few tunning cuts before I shot the vid. It should get a bit stronger after a dozen tanks or so.

I agree. That saw looks to bereal stout. Stumpy has been on fire lately ain't he? :rock: Just goes to show what you can accomplish with the 'big man' on your team. :msp_thumbup:

Ole Stump is definetly in the elite class of saw porters on this forum. And a class act to boot.

AW shucks.
Not on fire, just usein the gifts that have been given to me. Just to make this clear, I'm not saying I'm God's gift to saw building. Being able to do what I do is Gods gift to me. I'm definitely not the only one that has received this gift.

Wow!!! That is a huge difference. Great Job Stumpy!! I just bought a MS 261 and am considering a porting/muff mod. I would like to know how the life of the motor is affected. Does the mod shorten the life. If so by how much.

I would like to hear from people that are running Modified saws and the amount of time/years the saw has been running.

Stumpy is it alright to ask what would you charge for the Mods on the MS261

PM sent.

Latest posts

Back