Proper break in proceidure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering what some of you guys do to break your new saws in. Normally the instructions say not to rev them up with out a load at least for the first 3~7 tanks.
I personally mix the gas 40:1 on the 50:1 models and let them idle for their first tank of gas ocassionally giving her a 25% throttle pull.
Any opinions here on whats best. Does a proper break in really affect the longevity or performance of a saw?

break in

I find the people that put good fuel in and run it like they had it forever get the best performance out of a saw. My advice when the customer goes out the door, "use it".

Originally posted by Hexan
Normally the instructions say not to rev them up with out a load at least for the first 3~7 tanks.
/B]

running a saw at WOT with no load is bad for it period.

running a saw at WOT with no load is very hard on crank bearings.

to break it in properly, use the saw like you'd use any other. just dont abuse it, but dont baby it either.

I normally run the first tank a bit rich on oil - 40:1 on a 50:1 saw. I have also found the saw to be delivered from the factory with the carb set a bit rich, but I do not mess with the setting for the first tank or two unless it is really running poorly...

Seems to work for me!:D

I run stihl oil at 32:1 for at least the first 700-800 tanks, like the man said, "run it like ya stole it"
Van

I run 32:1 synthetic in all my saws, weedeaters & other 2 cycle equipment.
Most of my saws are stolen, so I have no problem running them like I stole them. Besides, theres more where they came from...Rick/Saw Slut

I use Aspen on the newer saws. The older ones I don't run so much, so I use regular two stroke oil at 3% mix.

Mange

I could not find the Eng site, but if you like I will translate the best I can.
2% syntetic mix 95 oktane
It is Acrylat petrol. No Bensen or Aromats. This is for protection of rubber details, polusion, carboateing engine, etc.
I have taken apart saws that run for tree months on Aspen and pthe piston looked as new.
When I was shown this for the first time they put cellfoamplastik in a jug with petrol and standard oil, and one in aspen. This was 4 years ago, aspen has been sold here a long time.
The plastic in the regular gas dissepeird after a few minuts, and the plastic in Aspen floated for weeks.

I will see if I can find a site on Eng.

Mange

Thanks, Mange. Here is the link I found on google http://www.aspen.se/Templates/start.asp?PN=104744
Looks like a alkalate hydrocarbon fuel with a ester based oil. Interestingly I think the oil is made out of animal fat.
For those that do not know. alkalate fuels are very desirable. In the usa aviation fuel is a alkalate fuel and is run on its own refinery stream.

Just out od curiousity. What are you paying per liter, Mange?
BTW do you know in english your user id is a skin disease wild animals get that causes their hair to fall out?:D

I pay 14.5kr/ litre for aspen nad I pay 10.23kr for regular gas.
Last I bought twostroke oil I paid 95kr/ one litre.

I don't know the current dollar, but about 10 kr/1euro.

We have 74% tax on petrol!!!!!:(

Everything here is more expensive than US.

Yea, yea, yea, so I've been told. But there has been others on this foroum thats been called wourse;)

Mange

Latest posts

Back