Pros and cons of hiring employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paying in full was the same for me in jersey. Paid what I thought was the full amount at first they recalculated based on wages and wanted another 2 grand or they where dropping me even after 1 month. Bunch of crap but not like I had an other option. Was either get and pay the WC or lose the contract with the company I do most of my work through.

Paying in full was the same for me in jersey. Paid what I thought was the full amount at first they recalculated based on wages and wanted another 2 grand or they where dropping me even after 1 month. Bunch of crap but not like I had an other option. Was either get and pay the WC or lose the contract with the company I do most of my work through.

How do you guys do WC .. is it paid to an insurance company.. and they essentially base the rates.. or are the rates governed by the state?

Ours is all gov't run.. they set rates and collect premiums.

pdqdl, its not so much about classes of work or how the WC rate/code pertains to an employee............[B]re-register as a landscape company but include tree care as being done occasionally.........then my WC rate drops considerably.............however... pray you never have an accident by doing it this way!!

But some have stated that a landscaper can only perform certain tree work in some areas. In your area can a landscaper remove trees.. whole trees? Dangerous .. weak and failing trees? If so how does the WC handle this for landscapers.. some say they can use a rate that they switch back and forth.. others say in their area no.. not allowed.

However, regardless of rates.. even the lowest rate is at a disadvantage when not on same playing field.. ie: if you paying tree rates then you at disadvantage to somebody paying landscaping rates or somebody who is dodging system and not paying at all.

But some have stated that a landscaper can only perform certain tree work in some areas. In your area can a landscaper remove trees.. whole trees? Dangerous .. weak and failing trees? If so how does the WC handle this for landscapers.. some say they can use a rate that they switch back and forth.. others say in their area no.. not allowed.

However, regardless of rates.. even the lowest rate is at a disadvantage when not on same playing field.. ie: if you paying tree rates then you at disadvantage to somebody paying landscaping rates or somebody who is dodging system and not paying at all.

Depends on what you are licensed for.
Jeff, ( get them all)

How do you guys do WC .. is it paid to an insurance company.. and they essentially base the rates.. or are the rates governed by the state?

Ours is all gov't run.. they set rates and collect premiums.

Yea is paid through an insurance company. I had made a number calls for quotes but all where pretty much the same just based on what the industry rate is and being it was a first year policy with no history to go on. Using New Jersey Manufactures at the moment but was told that there was a cheaper company that I need to look into. Will be interested to see once my current policy is up if there really is that much of a difference. Though who actually sets the rates I am really not sure about if it is either the state or individual insurance carrier. As just a sub I haven't gotten up to my neck in the whole business aspect of things, just more so get what I need to conduct business, stay legal and hope to make a buck at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Rates are based on your past claim history/experience and on the number of claims in the "pool" of other businesses insured.

Back