Pros and cons of running your own business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'll chime in here. Seems like the real question is, should you stay an employee or become self-employed.
I've been self-employed most my life. Worked for Davey Tree for 6 months before going it alone in a rural community. Did that for 20 years.
Here's the thing. If you'r real smart and I mean MBA smart, and real brave and real likable but firm and confidant without being arrogant then you might be ok.
That's if the economy, weather, customers, employees/partners and government cooperate. (The gov part is big in California. We have the BOE, DOL, IRS, CARB, TFB, DOT, DMV, CHP, CCB, CalOSHA, WC and I'm sure there are more. And if you don't comply there is always the DOC.)
Or you can just keep doing what you're doing and climb that corporate latter until you are ready to retire and maybe there is even a pension waiting for you.
You mean to tell me that these bozo's in here are master degree smart? LMAO :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even got a fancy little pm from him:ices_rofl::laugh: You have the finger speed to reply to anything, I'm impressed once again, keep on rockin :rock:

Yes, I asked if you had any more useless **** to say, I'm ready to reply.

Unfortunately you don't want to play, took your ball and went home. You're no fun. I'll let this one pass or I'll be attacked for being "thin skinned". LOL!

However, have more **** to say, a ****-storm will come upon you like I've expressed before for those who choose to attack me. Anyway, be careful in the tree world we live in, as it's a dangerous place so keep your wits about you at all times.

SR'

Butt seriously LittleJoe, I think the hardest part about starting the business you're thinking of is the partner deal. There's a few good threads about just that part to open your eyes, you may build a business just to have it go down the shitter. The other thing cold be your market, what part of WV? Personally I don't know how some of the guys here build such viable businesses in small markets but they do! We're in huge market here and it can be tough.

Good post. I'm in a small pond with a lot of big fish.. with sharp teeth. I've been doing good (dare I say above average) work on my own for 17 or 18 years now. Its still a total struggle. I mean I'm far from perfect, but its still a ***** trying to stay busy enough.

I think some of these younger guys are just way too optimistic. I mean its natural, when you're a wide eyed pup starting out and all, but just saying it might not be as easy as some people seem to think. At least from my experience.

I'm guessing you haven't been told to just shut the **** up enough in your life:oops:

A few times by an ******* exactly like yourself, but none of them stepped up when I said "Make me." Then the drunks all got hurt and the so called tough guys. To me you're just a *****(Imagine Strong Languanged Degrading Word) looking to start something. No one needed to see your pathetic reply coming and saying ****. I honestly pity you that you don't have anything better to do, but to start trouble. Since one of the several things I do here, offer advice and reply to people's questions looking for help, I'll continue with that notion and I suggest you to get some help, therapy of sorts. (Not allowed smilie here)

SR'

If that's your **** storm I'm fine with it! Not trying to start anything really just didn't see the need for you to jump down guys throat because of the way he worded his post. Especially the way you word some of yours. I'm out, rock-on

CON having to deal with dumbass employees that you shouldn't have to babysit all of the time but have to. Some days he's smart and some days he's just as dumb as he is smart the day earlier. Give him a list of lots to plow with addresses included and he misses two of them. Or send him out to do three easy 15 foot tall pine trees to drop, chip, and rake the damn area like we do every time, just do everything but rake now I have to clean up the rankings with four inches of snow on it too. It sure would have been easier when the chip truck was there ten feet away.

...didn't see the need for you to jump down guys throat because of the way he worded his post.

LOOK WHO'S TALKING!

You're the arse who jumped down my throat FIRST and trying to play it off. Now that's the definition of an a-hole, a-hole(m.finger icon inserted here)

SR'

Thanks for the :laugh:!

I will give you one thing Toddppm, I understand you "thought" I was getting on his case, when In fact it was my way of saying NO ONE should belittle themselves. I see too often people saying they're not good at that or they are terrible at this... or they are the worst at etc, etc. I don't like seeing "We are our own worst enemies", when I teach "We are are own best friend". Other than that, you started this and this is how it came to be. None the less, you're a fellow tree guy, so no matter how much I don't like saying this in regards to you, I have to respect the brothers of the wood. So you do what you feel what makes you feel good bro.

EDIT: But hey, after further review, I did NOTHING to provoke at attack from an a-hole like you, so don't take what I say too far because I don't like your kind.

StihlRockin'

You get to pay all the bills, organise and equip all the jobs (which just magically appear) with all the necessaries and then collect all the profits with which you have to pay all the bills, organise and equip all the jobs with all the necessaries and then collect all the profits with which you have to pay all the bills....
Ad infinitum

I swapped an incompetent boss for the worst, badly paying slave driver boss I could have ever imagined.

Found out the SOB has been sleeping with my wife to!

Ah self employment.

Hours are crap, pay is often low for the hours and stress put in but at least its all yours. You get to buy the gear you want working for you only to find that you almost start working for the gear.

Wouldnt swap it for the world

I swapped an incompetent boss for the worst, badly paying slave driver boss I could have ever imagined.

Found out the SOB has been sleeping with my wife to!

Ah self employment.

Hours are crap, pay is often low for the hours and stress put in but at least its all yours. You get to buy the gear you want working for you only to find that you almost start working for the gear.

Wouldnt swap it for the world

Sounds like you made out pretty good, got rid of a crappy boss and a cheating wife.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back