Protection--what do you wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard hat with muffs-shield, chaps with wrap around. Gloves when its cold...have a hard time keeping gloves on when its warm and when running saws etc. For some odd reason I think I have more control with out them on.

Anyone else feel that way about gloves?

its got to be pretty darn cold before i will wear gloves(below freezing) and when i do i wear baseball type gloves(fitted) because i to don't feel as comfortable wearing them

nothing more than jeans, t shirt (long sleeve flannel if it's cold), ball cap, and steel toe boots for me, although the new set of calk boots i bought are soft toe. I've found hearing protection to cover the sounds of falling objects, saw protective clothing gets too bulky and hard to maneuver in, hard hats make me miserably overheated, and face shields get in my way more than they help me, I probably should wear safety glasses though, just get tired of em foggin up and needin cleaned every 10 seconds.

I saw something I thought was funny yesterday,
I was driving through a nearby city and saw a guy cutting up some very small limbs in his yard.
He was decked out head to toe. Orange helmet with visor, bright orange chainsaw bibs, gloves etc.

I commend him for being safe, but it took him longer to put that stuff on than he could have just picked the crap up and forgot the chainsaw.

On the other hand, I didn't bother to put my chainsaw bibs on Sunday cleaning up after Ike's blast through Missouri. And my 044 threw the chain and tore three holes in my jeans and gave me a big bruise and several cuts on my upper thigh. Uncomfortably close to my zipper.

nothing more than jeans, t shirt (long sleeve flannel if it's cold), ball cap, and steel toe boots for me, although the new set of calk boots i bought are soft toe. I've found hearing protection to cover the sounds of falling objects, saw protective clothing gets too bulky and hard to maneuver in, hard hats make me miserably overheated, and face shields get in my way more than they help me, I probably should wear safety glasses though, just get tired of em foggin up and needin cleaned every 10 seconds.

I don't mean this in a smart a** way but I see in your profile that you are falling timber for a living. Talk to some other fallers in your area about accidents. You will not find many fallers that have did it full time who do not wear PPE or had a pretty bad accident because they were not wearing it. If you dont wear hearing protection you will not have a need for it in a few years. If you count on hearing something that is falling it is going to be too late in a lot of cases. Look up. Try a hard hat, ear plugs, and screen glasses in hot weather, its cooler than those combination hats.
Most saw cuts are on the legs, it just makes sense to wear chaps. They are nice in the briers too.
I know in some parts of the country ( here too) You might as well be wearing a pink shirt as PPE, but eventually people will see that you know what you're doing.
Now, tell me to mind my own business. Cheers

When I cut and collect wood, I wear about everything the pros do except chaps and a helmet:
(1) Heavy blue jeans, usually Wrangler or Carhartt, and thick leather belt.
(2) Double thickness railroad work shirt--L.L. Bean (over a T-shirt).
(3) Carhartt or OshKosh vest if chilly.
(4) Thick cotton blend work socks.
(5) Red Wing leather and steel-toed work boots.
(6) Ear plugs, inside the ears, connected with plastic band.
(7) Safety Glasses.
(8) Cap with bill pointed forward.
(9) Leather work gloves.

Remove all jewelry. When I split wood, add a pair of knee pads to the above list.

I've found hearing protection to cover the sounds of falling objects I probably should wear safety glasses though, just get tired of em foggin up and needin cleaned every 10 seconds.

Run a saw a few more years without earmuffs and you will be like me and won't have to worry about hearing anything much!!! Let alone a falling branch.
I have the fogging problem too, so I bought some Bugz goggles from Baileys.

Dan

Helmet w/ screen shield, wear glasses anyway, ear plugs with the ear muffs (I'm deaf in one ear...can't screw around with the good one!), chaps, steel toed work boots and gloves most of the time.

I don't cut if I don't have PPE that's my rule. Risking possible medical bills or loss of work (income) etc..is just not worth it to me. Besides everytime I put my chaps on It makes me / reminds me to think about working safely...JMHO

Helmet w/screen and muffs, earplugs, kevlar chaps, just got steel toe boots. I don't have kevlar gloves or shirt. Probably will get those someday, but I cut much less than the people that do it for a living. I always wear jeans and long socks to keep from getting ticks and cut by the branches. Sure gets hot, though! It is unbelievable how much sweat those chaps can hold!

Stihl chaps, Stihl hard hat with ear muffs and face screen, gloves, and steel toed boots. I do 99% of my cutting alone, so safety is paramount. :greenchainsaw:

OK, on the saw for the day, it's chaps - extra lightweight type so they don't piss ya off and become an uncomfortable drag. The overdone, bulky, restrictive, heavy 395 layers of kevlar blah blah type chaps/pants - well, totally unnecessary and just a dam nuisance in the real world. The other important part a helmet with flip up steel mesh visor and earmuffs in one. (earplugs for me too) Goggles are hopeless as they fog at the hint of a sweat up. That's it, no big deal at all, it takes all of 25 seconds to put on chaps and a good 3 whole seconds to put on ya helmet. :cheers:

Last edited:
The pic says it all.

chainsaws062.jpg

Times change

I used to wear a baseball cap and sometimes gloves. Now I wear Peltor hard hat with visor and muffs. Labonville chaps and very heavy boots. There was a thread on hear a few months back that showed a US gov. film about chaps. It was good. I ordered my chaps right then. As for slowing ya down, well there was a time that I ran 1\4 mile in 49.9 seconds, those days are gone, and I'd probably run the distance to safety in about the same time now days if I was buck naked, or pulling a Buick, so the ppe is not a factor. I was way up the Amazon a few years back, so far from civilization that I'm pretty sure that they had to pump oxygen in to us. Met some loggers one day on the river and we followed and watched them cut down a HUGE tree, must have been 7-9 feet in dia., maybe more. They had the longest bars that I have ever seen. We kept back a ways and I never figured out what they were using for saws, one I'm pretty sure was a Stihl, but don't know about the other two. Anyway these guy only had short, t shirt, and taped up tennis shoes. Took them about 15 minutes to get the tree down. I always carry a cell phone, especially if cutting alone, and about a half roll of duct tape, and a box of Kotex. Be safe out there guys. JR

I wear the same PPE when working as playing (firewood). Kevlar chaps (expensive but light weight), hard hat, ear plugs, Rx RecSpecs, gloves, White's boots, wedge belt, axe, pink tape, water proof cell phone, bandana.
Oops, forgot suspenders and a whistle.

Last edited:
Gloves, High Ankle steel toe & steel shank boots, Bailey's LW chaps and some type of eye protection (even if it's just sunglasses to keep the chips out). I just found a hard hat dad used working for Bell Telephone (he retired in 94) that I'll start wearing when felling trees. Most of what I've cut in the last 4-5 years has already been on the ground. The old Poulan's are quiet enough I don't feel the need for ear protection (no ringing or pain like I get from my friends Husky 350)

Back