Proud to show my new saw: the dolmar ps5105 little bit modified - question about catt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After reading a lot of topics, finally bought me a dolmar ps-5105. Main reasons: good price comparing to Husky and Stihl (both very expensive here in Belgium), but most importand: have a very good dealer about 5 miles from my home. He's giving the best service we can dream about.

Did some litte mods on the dolmar, like US-spikes & gave a part another color :D

Here's a pic:
dolmar_floris.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Next step is to break it in.

Also want to remove the cat-muffler, but can I modify my existing muffler (is that possible?) or is it better to buy a muffler from a 5100-S?

Congrats on the new saw. I almost bought that one but got a really good deal on my 346. Might have to pick one up anyway. Funny you painted your clutch cover silver...I am getting ready to paint my 346 clutch cover orange:D

Congrats on the new saw. I almost bought that one but got a really good deal on my 346. Might have to pick one up anyway. Funny you painted your clutch cover silver...I am getting ready to paint my 346 clutch cover orange:D

Héhé, great reply! Yeah, have to admit: got some inspiration by the new 346xp :rock:
I ordered clutch cover+ spikes, so still have a original panted cover. I think it is nice because color of the spikes is about the same as the cover.

I forgot to say I was just going to swap out the muffler. Seems like I remember somebody daying it was a pain to gut it. I might not know what I am talking about too. Anyway, new saw rep to ya.

Héhé, great reply! Yeah, have to admit: got some inspiration by the new 346xp :rock:
I ordered clutch cover+ spikes, so still have a original panted cover. I think it is nice because color of the spikes is about the same as the cover.

I just dont like the way the silver wears off. The silver is now dark and not looking so good anymore.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Also want to remove the cat-muffler, but can I modify my existing muffler (is that possible?) or is it better to buy a muffler from a 5100-S?

I got me one of these from the US early last year. Brilliant saw. Light and so much power!! http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gif I hardly use my 7900 since i got the 5105.

As for the CAT muffler. I was sick of mine within one week of having the saw. It was coming into winter and was very cold and still the muffler would get very hot (from being over restricted by the catalyst) and make ping noises as it cooled when you stopped the saw. You can remove the cat muffler from the saw and carefully drill out and break up and remove the catalyst. It looks like a round disc inside the back of the muffler.
I was going to do this but was told that the platinum inside the catalyst is not very good for your health, so i just got a non-cat muffler from a 5100s. Bolted straight on and only only needed a small carb adjustment to run well. Saw run a lot better and seems to have a bit more low down torque and rev more freely. Also the new muffler runs way cooler. No cooling noises when i stop the saw like the cat did.

Only downside for me was that the non-cat has 2 exhaust exits. The exhaust exits not only forwards but backwards under the cover of the saw. On mine the silver heat tape under the cover of the saw is starting to loose its tack from the increased heat now from the new mufflers exhaust. Not hot enough to hurt the plastic cover, just the glue on the silver tape. I have fixed it but looks like it's coming loose again. Not a huge problem but something to just keep an eye on. I seem to recall a part called "top cover 5100s non cat" or something when i was ordering the muffler. Maybe this would fit the 5105 and allow more air gap between the rear facing exhaust and the plastic cover??

That looks good.....funny I was thinking about painting mine black to match the top

That looks good.....funny I was thinking about painting mine black to match the top

Mine is just plain stock red. I think the black would look better than the silver. Maybe secretly longing for a 346XP NE Floris??? http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/bigcry.gif

I don't think the colour is all that important really as everyone knows this is the part of the saw that cops a lot of scratches and marks. Especially if you cut off stumps close to the ground a lot. If you make it too nice and pretty you will only be more upset when it gets dirty/scratched/chipped. It's there to be used as a chainsaw at the end of the day.

I had observed the intense heat from my CAT muffler and all the cracking and popping when you shut the saw down.

So I put a 5100S muffler on my 5105. Don't know that it has any more power put all the heat and noise is gone.

The catalytic muffler, in addition to having the catalytic disk, has the exhaust routed over the front of the muffler before the exhaust exits near the top in order to give it a chance to finish burning and to cool down some.

The 5100 muffler, the back outlet is supposed to be an inlet for cooling air from the engine to go through there and help force the exhaust out and make it cooler.

The evidence of heat effecting the top cover is more a function of idling the saw a lot? You are supposed to run the "H" out of it and then shut it off?

Here is a picture of mine all dirty from just making a noodle cut.

attachment.php

I wish my bar still looked that good. Why do they paint them ? The clear-coated bars look better for so much longer.
I'm trying to wear the OEM bar out just so I can justify buying a new Sugi. or Carlton. :laugh:

Hi guys,

After reading a lot of topics, finally bought me a dolmar ps-5105. Main reasons: good price comparing to Husky and Stihl (both very expensive here in Belgium), but most importand: have a very good dealer about 5 miles from my home. He's giving the best service we can dream about.

Did some litte mods on the dolmar, like US-spikes & gave a part another color :D

Here's a pic:
dolmar_floris.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Next step is to break it in.

Unless you painted the muffler you have the old style muffler. Do you have another picture that shows the muffler better?

Put your bar on the belt sander and take the paint off it?

I got me one of these from the US early last year. Brilliant saw. Light and so much power!! http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gif I hardly use my 7900 since i got the 5105.

As for the CAT muffler. I was sick of mine within one week of having the saw. It was coming into winter and was very cold and still the muffler would get very hot (from being over restricted by the catalyst) and make ping noises as it cooled when you stopped the saw. You can remove the cat muffler from the saw and carefully drill out and break up and remove the catalyst. It looks like a round disc inside the back of the muffler.
I was going to do this but was told that the platinum inside the catalyst is not very good for your health, so i just got a non-cat muffler from a 5100s. Bolted straight on and only only needed a small carb adjustment to run well. Saw run a lot better and seems to have a bit more low down torque and rev more freely. Also the new muffler runs way cooler. No cooling noises when i stop the saw like the cat did.

Only downside for me was that the non-cat has 2 exhaust exits. The exhaust exits not only forwards but backwards under the cover of the saw. On mine the silver heat tape under the cover of the saw is starting to loose its tack from the increased heat now from the new mufflers exhaust. Not hot enough to hurt the plastic cover, just the glue on the silver tape. I have fixed it but looks like it's coming loose again. Not a huge problem but something to just keep an eye on. I seem to recall a part called "top cover 5100s non cat" or something when i was ordering the muffler. Maybe this would fit the 5105 and allow more air gap between the rear facing exhaust and the plastic cover??

A PS-5100S (PS-5000, 4600, 510, 460) hood will not fit a PS-5105.

Here's the way mine looked with the original CAT muffler. Notice the exhaust channel across the front of the muffler?

attachment.php

Put your bar on the belt sander and take the paint off it?
I just might. It looks like hell, while the powerhead gets the "spa" treatment after filling the truck with firewood for me. :msp_biggrin:

A PS-5100S (PS-5000, 4600, 510, 460) hood will not fit a PS-5105.

Well there it is. I'm stuck with the 5105 hood and will be re gluing the heat tape when is starts to loose it's glue. This is the first thing wrong with this saw....about time to have something to pick on.

W8ye, i try not to idle the saw for long periods. Dunno but maybe the heat tape was already affected from the intense heat from the cat muffler before.

That muffler mod thread was a good one. I'm retired now so do not have access to the TIG any more.

The Catalytic biscuit most be heavy? I think the difference in weight between the two mufflers is something like 10 oz?

That muffler mod thread was a good one. I'm retired now so do not have access to the TIG any more.

The Catalytic biscuit most be heavy? I think the difference in weight between the two mufflers is something like 10 oz?

IF I remember right it was kinda heavy!

Floris, nice new saw man. I have never run one but know they are outstanding. And a new saw whats not to like!

Back