Pruning a big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I didn't have my camera on hand today,but I sure wished I had.I pruned a water oak over a house today,or should I say,I started pruning a water oak over a house today...The tree had a seven foot trunk,it was a little over 100 feet to my first tie-in point,the canopy was spread out so far,I could only get to one lead...I spent from 10 this morning until five this afternoon in this tree,I'm not even half-way done.I had to tie off in six different places,and footlock up several different single limbs, just so I could prune the one under it...There was no good neutral spot to tie off,which is why I had to keep moving my rope.The tree was full of hanging limbs from last years ice storm,and is on the verge of dying.....I am going to go back out tomorrow and finish the job.I usually have my camera in the truck so I can capture these things,but for some reason it was taken out.So I'm gonna try and post some pics of this monster tomorrow,but it will be of the finished product.I can't even begin to describe the truck loads of brush that was hanging in this tree.I have taken down a few trees this big,and pruned some almost as big,but never one with hardly any good working points,and never have I had to walk the limbs of a tree this size.

Sounds like my kinda tree. I'm looking forard to seeing the pics.

Here's some shots of Guy Meilleur and Brian Kotwica pruning a big white oak that sounds like about the same size. It was in much better initial shape though. This was a reduction pruning.

WadeAve_WhiteOak_3.jpg
WadeAve_WhiteOak_2.jpg

WadeAve_WhiteOak_1.jpg

Timber-what part of SC? Was just in Pageland last weekend taking care of a couple of piggies :). Get over in Columbia a couple times a year and also over in Beaufort once a year or so. Always like to check out other operations when I have a chance.

I took some of the best pics I could....It was raining when we went over there to finish up this morning,I'll post the pics later on this evening.

WHat did you guys do to get BK down there? Free lodging in the smokies for some rock climbing?
Rock, shmock. we were in the trees for a solid week, making money. He was coming down to Sherrill's anyway so I snagged him. Heck of a productive climber with simple gear usage--an inspiration!

He was one of 5 subs I had down this winter--looking to make it a regular thing.

T.h., I was in a water oake for 3 hours today; same one i was in for 2 hours yesterday, and I'm still not done. It's smaller--maybe 70 x 70. Restoration work 4 years after ice storm; client can pay (by the hour of course) for fine work so that's what we deliver.

Hey Blinky I pruned a few dead limbs off the back side of your sugar maple too. Thanks for posting the pics--that tree is nice now, and it's gonna be beautiful when it leafs out!

T.h., I was in a water oake for 3 hours today; same one i was in for 2 hours yesterday, and I'm still not done. It's smaller--maybe 70 x 70. Restoration work 4 years after ice storm

Sooo......Are you callin' me out or what?:confused:
It took me four days once to get a tree a little bigger than this one to a poing to where we could fall it...Yeah,It's what we do,but how often do we spend a whole day or two or three in the same tree??

I took several pics of this particular tree,but it was a little foggy and raining at the time.None of them came out good enough to try and post,so I'm gonna have to wait til' I'm back out that way again when it's clear and attempt to take more pics...It's also in a part of the county that I don't venture into that much...But I'll post em' when I get em'.

Back