Pruning Young American Beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just recently bought a young American Beech (7ft) and it has been pruned in a conical fashion. All of the lower branches have been left on the tree. Is this the correct technique for a young Beech? Most other shade trees I have bought have had their lower branches pruned to, I think, encourage upward growth and crowning. Do American Beeches grow differently? I would like it to crown and to become a nice shade tree (in many years).
Thanks.

Thanks TreeCo,
It definitely is a great resource, but I couldn't find anything directly about Beeches. Does anyone have any experience with young american beech trees and whether mine is pruned correctly? It seems odd to have so many lower branches. I've attached an image below.
Thanks again.

beech.jpg

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't remove a thing right now. If I'm not mistaken, lower limbs on a young tree help the tree add caliper (diameter). Removing lower limbs too early can cause the tree to become spindly and unable to support itself.

I agree, tho I might do a little clipping down low so branches are not too crowded. The "train it upwards by removing lower branches" story is largely a myth.

Wouldn't do anything about it. Keep the lower branches. The bark is quiet vonerable to direkt sunlight. You already wrote it is a shade tree, they protect their own bark against burning with their lower branches. When they are older and are solitairly grown than their long branches protect the bark against burn.

Good luck!

agree on leaving the lower branches. it really does make a difference on trunk thickness and improving tree growth. we have a rule in our arboretum about keeping lower limbs (temporary branches). once the tree gets larger and more established, starting removing one or two a season.

You are a few years away from doing anything to that tree, let it establish roots and then you can start pruning for form. I would also like to see the root flair on the tree it looks to be planted to deep.

Latest posts

Back