PS-5015 or MS261? Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On my revised saw plan many seemed to indicate that a pro 50cc saw might be the right way to go, specifying the 346XP and MS260/261 in particular. Since Husqvarna's pricing in Canada is out to lunch and I really like Dolmar, already having decent relationships with some dealers of these and Stihl, I thought I would put it out to AS members for opinions on the two Germans. The saw would be my "go to" for anything above the capabilities of my under 40cc toys. Don't need to know about how good the Husky is, I know already how good from a thread earlier this year where the OP asked for a 3-way comparison and it quickly became a pedestal for the NE346XP.

I would like opinions or comparisons limited to the PS-5105 vs. MS261 only please. Thanks in advance to all who share their experience.

The 5105 pulls nice and strong but feels heavier than it is. My 046's seem to balance better. I haven't run one yet, but the 261 feels heavy as well. If you have the money, you can't go wrong with a Stihl.

I had an 026 and have a 5100s, these are close but not the same. The dolmar has more power but the stihl was lighter and more nimble.Both are good, don't think its more than a matter of what feels the best. I missed my 026 for awhile but now the 5100 feels fine.

The 5100s is my go-to saw. I haven't run a 261. I have an 024 and I really like the ergos of the chain brake. It seems to be in a better position for my fingers to reach and release it. My Dolmar takes a little more conscious effort, like I need to raise my hand a bit.
As was said, they're both great saws. Go with the one that feels better in your hands.

I had an 026 and have a 5100s, these are close but not the same. The dolmar has more power but the stihl was lighter and more nimble.Both are good, don't think its more than a matter of what feels the best. I missed my 026 for awhile but now the 5100 feels fine.
The weight difference between the 026/260 and the 261 is quite large....

I believe the true weights of the 5105 and the 261 is close, but the 261 likely is a little heavier.

I have a dolmar 5100 that runs very close to my stihl ms361. How close?? Well I doubt you could make a profit on the cut speed difference but the price differential might make for a good lump in your wallet.

Agree with the comments so far.

There are some differences, although both are great saws. Here are my notes/comments:

- both are strong, built well, pro design, good solid AV and should last very well if properly maintained

- the stihl probably has better service coverage, but sounds like you already have a good dolmar dealer locally.

- the dolmar should be the most cost effective choice to start, although the stihl will likely hold its resale value better

- the dolmar will allow you to use your old 510's bar and chain - if you decide to sell it, you can do so PHO and have a spare B&C.

- the stihl has a non-limited coil, the dolmar's is limited. To guys like me (and you, i think) this makes little difference, but i know guys like Brad S. hate the limited coil & wouldnt touch the 5105 because of this.

I dont think you're going to go too far wrong with either. I personally love the feel of my dolmars & it is slowly becoming my "go to" brand - my suggestion is to go to the shop, see what feels better & then take it from there.

Go with the 261

I have a 5100 which is about 95% the same saw as the 5105, and a 261. They are both great saws, and both would serve you well. If the prices are close, I would go with the 261. If you can save a bunch of money on a 5105, then that saw is worth a look.

They handle close to the same in my hands. I think the 261 has a bit better build quality, and I like the feel of the controls a little more. Stihl's are usually easier to get parts and support for, and have the best long term resale value. Neither of mine are dry, but I would guess that they are very close in weight, like within a few ounces. The air filter on the Stihl is one of the best on any saw I've seen, and a better design than the one on the 5100. Not sure if it's the same on a 5105 though.

Power wise they are very close, however my 5100 has a muffler mod so we are not apples to apples here. The 5105 has the cat muffler, which I would dump (~$40?).

I have not had any problems with my 5100, but some have said that they run hot. The 5105 is supposed to have improved cooling over the 5100. Both are happy with 20" bars, although I usually keep a 16" or 18" on mine. I switched my 261 out to 3/8" chain so I could share bars with my other Sthils, and my 5100 is also 3/8". I've had the 5100 for 3 or 4 years, and the 261 only a few months.

5100's went for around $350-$375 just a few years ago; I am not sure what a 5105 costs now. Here, with a little bargaining, you can get a 261 with a 16" bar for a little over $500.

Good Luck!

Wow! Lots of good insight within a short amount of time. Thanks all!

Regarding the cost difference... there really is none. Here the deal on a 5105 with 18" b/c is $520. The 261 with 16" b/c is $599 but that includes a wood-pro kit, which is a cap, plastic carry case and an extra chain, which works out to the same thing if I were to buy a case and extra chain for the Dolmar.

So factoring out the money, which is the better built and better performing saw in the long run?

Wow! Lots of good insight within a short amount of time. Thanks all!

Regarding the cost difference... there really is none. Here the deal on a 5105 with 18" b/c is $520. The 261 with 16" b/c is $599 but that includes a wood-pro kit, which is a cap, plastic carry case and an extra chain, which works out to the same thing if I were to buy a case and extra chain for the Dolmar.

So factoring out the money, which is the better built and better performing saw in the long run?

I think the Stihl is a better saw for your needs, although they are both great. As an aside, the 261 with a 16" laminated bar will be a LOT lighter than your 361 with a 20" ES bar.

Your lineup really needs a 70cc+ saw next :laugh:

I really like my 5105 with the 3/8" X 20" bar and 5100 muffler. No problems so far

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

...here's the Dolmar Tool Case[/url]
Fwiw, I prefer the square Husq. box. My Dolmar is in one and fits nicely and stores/stacks better that the saw-shaped ones.
I did switch the bar cover to Dolmar brand, though. :D

Latest posts

Back