PS-5015 or MS261? Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tallguys, lets do a quick comparison. The 261 is dependable and reliable much like the family sedan (Buick station wagon) and the 5105 is high performance with more horsepower much like a (Ford Mustang) Which one do you want to drive to the big dance.

More hp????? :msp_confused:

tallguys, Since your Canadian this story came to mind this morning. My father-in-law took the family to Montreal on vacation years ago. He decided to go into a book store just to look around. He walked around the corner and ran into the Duke--"John Wayne". He got to talk to him for about 15 minutes and said he was really a super nice guy.

Last edited:
As regards the 346XP, if I ever convince one of the Yanks on eBay to ship north (at a regular rate) I might end up with one of those $400-ish deals yet.

I think an AS member currently has a modded 346XP on eBay; I have no idea about him shipping to Canada. It's really no big deal if one uses USPS, one simple declaration form, IIRC.

My father-in-law took the family to Montreal on vacation years ago... and ran into the Duke--"John Wayne".

You just got to love those spontaneous celebrity sightings! :biggrin: Of all places to run into John Wayne, who would've thought Montreal?

OK, the OP did exclude Husky's, but he didn't say anything about Jreds. My Snellerized 2153 makes any other 50cc hard to consider.

IMG_0225-1.jpg

My 5105 is a "Easy Start" . I thought all the USA ones were that way?

My 5105 doesnt have the easy start. I pulled the limiter caps to turn down the rpms to 13,900 to 14,000
where the saw seems to pull the hardest in the cut. So that is correct concerning the non-easy having 14,500
available. With only 50cc being pulled over the easy start probably is a nice feature but certainly not necessary.

Cat muffler changed out with a 5100s dropped weight and 40 degrees or so at the muffler port. I watched the
dolmar sponsored timbersports at a outdoor exhibition, they had the cat equipped 5105s racing cutting cookies in approx. 18" logs and the saws third cut were slower than the first two, and just from listening to the saws
slow as well, I contributed that to heat. Mine never slows cut after cut no matter how many cuts you make.
Just my observation and thoughts. Once heat crosses the optimum degree needed for combustion h.p. will
begin to fall off in most engines.

If the cat could not be removed or replaced I wouldn't own the 5105. Otherwise it is a fun saw and a good
value, especially when you find one used as new under $400.

Yes Sir, the 261 has 3.75 hp and the 5105 has 3.8 hp---that is more horsepower so the statement is correct.
:laugh::laugh: Well, both are speced at 2.8 kW - the difference in speced hp can either be about the kind of hp, or it can be about how the numbers are rounded off.
Regardless, the power specs are just a snapshot of one single point of the power curves, so don't take it too seriously!

tallguys, I went to my local saw mill two summers ago and checked on the price on some oak and hichory slabs. There was a pro timber cutter there with a one ton flatbed dualee and he had two 385's with 24 " bars on the bed. I ask him if he used a smaller limbing saw and he said no because the 385's were so much faster. This guy was in his early 70's and was in great shape. When I set my 7901 up I used his concept and put the husqvarna 28" techlite on it. The guy was right, the saw has so much reach that you can walk up and down the tree and delimb standing straight up without bending over and it is so much easier on your back. Plus the speed of the delimbing process is unbelievable.

When I set my 7901 up I used his concept and put the husqvarna 28" techlite on it. The guy was right, the saw has so much reach that you can walk up and down the tree and delimb standing straight up...

I love that! :msp_thumbsup: Using a 7901 for limbing, man talk about overkill.

It's known as a one saw does it all kind of thing in logging. I watched WYK delimb a fir by walking down it with his Snellerized 385 and wow that was amazing. My 346 would have had to cut through the limbs where the 385 just seemed to barely touch them and the flew off as if struck by lightning. The no bending over is necessary when your on the log above a pond or ravine.

Latest posts

Back