PS 7900 lightest chainsawsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thanks to all of the arboristsite members for lots of great information. I have just picked up my ms460 today. The saw has 76.5cc and 6.0hp, that is 12.75cc for every 1 hp. Is there any other saw made that has less cc's per hp, I have looked around but have not found one. comments??? no, I'm not stirring the pot, well maybe just a little.

Thanks to all of the arboristsite members for lots of great information. I just [looked at the Bailey's catalog] today. The [Dolmar PS7900 has 6.3hp and weighs only 13.6lbs] That is [2.16lb] for every 1 hp. Is there any other saw made [today] that has less [pound's] per hp? I have looked around but have not found one. comments??? no, I'm not stirring the pot, well maybe just a little.
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

PS. there is plenty of popcorn so eating popcorn :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: is allowed on this thread. this means you RDT

Last edited:
My bike saws are around 1.5 or less # per 1 hp. So they must be the lightest saws made:laugh:

Rather have a heavier fast cutting reliable saw any day. Thats why my all around and limbing saws are 70cc. Use 90cc saw that is notorius for reliability a lot of the time. Havent heard a verdict on long term Dolmar reliability yet 2-3000 hr range ,not a year of weakend use.

Rather have a heavier fast cutting reliable saw any day. Thats why my all around and limbing saws are 70cc. Use 90cc saw that is notorius for reliability a lot of the time. Havent heard a verdict on long term Dolmar reliability yet 2-3000 hr range ,not a year of weakend use.

Ask Redprospector, hes been running 7900's for about 2 years now. He cuts more in a day than I do in a month.

Ive been selling the PS7900 since they have come out back in 01' I believe and YES TO REAL USERS not just weekend warriors THIS SAW DOES LAST... You PNW guys are so married to stihl its unbelievable FIND A PNW DEALER WITH SOME GONADS to Take the DOLMAR dealership on and you will be very impressed.
And Andy with all his time will tell attitude come on now TELL YOUR BOSS to take the dealership on and YOU will be impressed as well. stihl is not the ONLY game out there..

Ask Redprospector, hes been running 7900's for about 2 years now. He cuts more in a day than I do in a month.

+1+++++

Scott

You PNW guys are so married to stihl its unbelievable FIND A PNW DEALER WITH SOME GONADS to Take the DOLMAR dealership on and you will be very impressed.
And Andy with all his time will tell attitude come on now TELL YOUR BOSS to take the dealership on and YOU will be impressed as well. stihl is not the ONLY game out there..

Scott

Sorry Scott ol' buddy... but... yes it is.

Every dealership here that caters to the professional logger is pretty much knee deep into Stihl.. Just the way it is.

Most mom and pop saw shops and mower shops sell Stihl too because of the rep that Stihl has among the loggers here...

It all boils down to loggin' big timber.

Crazy Roger and a couple others here like Husqvarna... and the Husqvarna is gettin' to be a little more popular out here.

But I doubt that Dolmar could handle the parts turnover with daily loggin' operations that can consume a dealer. Plus Consumables like bars and chain... fly off the shelves here.

I can walk into my dealer right now and get damn near any part for a Stihl saw made since the 1980's off the shelf. If by chance he don't have it... he can have it usually in less than 2 days.

My dealer sold over 25,000 feet of chain last year alone. So I can get a 100' roll of RSF chain for around $225.00 bucks. Off the shelf. No need to order it. I know guys back east that are payin' dang near $380.00 bucks or more for the same box of chain. Plus it has to be special ordered.

The PNW is a great place to run Stihl saws. Sorry pal... don't need no Dolmars out here...

Gary

Last edited:
As far as bars go, if you can find a husky bar you can find a dolmar bar.

I'm just a weekend firewood cutter but would have been interested in a 5100s if there were a dealer nearby. Because of Stihl's market presence out here I picked up a 361 instead. Point being if someone local picked up Dolmar I think there would be interest, sounds like they have a few great saws.

I'm just a weekend firewood cutter but would have been interested in a 5100s if there were a dealer nearby. Because of Stihl's market presence out here I picked up a 361 instead. Point being if someone local picked up Dolmar I think there would be interest, sounds like they have a few great saws.

There is a shop called stark st mowers or something like that in portland that sells dumpmar. I know they use to sell them anyway.

Sorry Scott ol' buddy... but... yes it is.

Every dealership here that caters to the professional logger is pretty much knee deep into Stihl.. Just the way it is.

Most mom and pop saw shops and mower shops sell Stihl too because of the rep that Stihl has among the loggers here...

It all boils down to loggin' big timber.

Crazy Roger and a couple others here like Husqvarna... and the Husqvarna is gettin' to be a little more popular out here.

But I doubt that Dolmar could handle the parts turnover with daily loggin' operations that can consume a dealer. Plus Consumables like bars and chain... fly off the shelves here.

I can walk into my dealer right now and get damn near any part for a Stihl saw made since the 1980's off the shelf. If by chance he don't have it... he can have it usually in less than 2 days.

My dealer sold over 25,000 feet of chain last year alone. So I can get a 100' roll of RSF chain for around $225.00 bucks. Off the shelf. No need to order it. I know guys back east that are payin' dang near $380.00 bucks or more for the same box of chain. Plus it has to be special ordered.

The PNW is a great place to run Stihl saws. Sorry pal... don't need no Dolmars out here...

Gary

+1 Some dealer would have to make a huge commitment to break into the NW with dolmar.

As an added bonus to any prospective PNW Dolmar dealer you wouln't have near as much competition as you would/do with Stihl, those guys are as common as McDonalds around here. Great for us consumers but can't be too good for the dealers. :cheers:

There is a shop called stark st mowers or something like that in portland that sells dumpmar. I know they use to sell them anyway.

Must be Stark st Lawn and Garden. They're not far from me, I'll check it out. Not that I need another saw I just like to look!

I know that you PNW won't try green eggs and ham. But I still have yet to hear a bad review of a 7900 by anyone who has run one. They make an 046 feel like a sick dog, and forget about the 72cc saws keeping up. We have 0 dealer support here, but Andy has still been running the crap out of them. For one, they are tough and hold together well. I don't think Andy has bought anything for them but filters.

But I guess if you like to run your saws over with the skidder you will have problems.:laugh:

I am from the PNW and run two 7900s. Stock they eat anysaw close to them in cc alive and are more fun doing it. Explosive even power and lots of low grunt as well.

That being said, most cutters that see my Dolmars have never heard of them. Once they try one, though, they usually start thinking about getting one. My brother is a 20+ year certified arborists who runs saws (and a small crew) yearround, and he liked my 7900 so much he is probably doing to try one for his main go to work saw.

But there are no real dealers within a long ways here, and I don't think there is likely to be.

Like Mr. Turner just described... there is a market out here for a powerful saw like the 7900. Most that have been fortunate to run one out here loves it.

I personally had never heard of Dolmar until I came to AS. But I just can't go without the dealer support I have here in Washington State for my Stihls. I don't want to have to order stuff from the internet and wait for UPS to drop it off 3-4 days later.

Husqvarna is starting to be a Major player in PNW loggin'. They have been around just as long or longer than Stihl... I personally don't care which one came first. But that should tell you how much of a hold that Stihl has on the market out here.

Has nothin' to do with Stihl acting on a corporate takover... it is just brand loytalty. Most guys out here use Stihl... because it is what their fathers used, and then it is what their father used when they switched from big ol' Homies and Macs...

Gary

Ive been selling the PS7900 since they have come out back in 01' I believe and YES TO REAL USERS not just weekend warriors THIS SAW DOES LAST... You PNW guys are so married to stihl its unbelievable FIND A PNW DEALER WITH SOME GONADS to Take the DOLMAR dealership on and you will be very impressed.

+1+++++

Scott

+2

And I believe that saw is pretty proven by now.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back