Pull starter issue with new MS251?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahoowad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My new MS251 has never felt quite right when I go to start it. This is my first Stihl so thought it was just different and I would get used to it. Today I distinctly noticed 2 different results when I pull the starting handle.

First off, I start it by initially pulling the starter grip an inch or two until I feel it engage, then I give it a brisk pull as per the instructions. One of two things happen:

- usually it moves a short distance and no further;

or

- sometimes it fully pulls out (which feels more normal)

It takes 5 or 6 pulls to get started, with maybe 4 of those the shorter pulls that stop short and I'm not sure what I'm doing to cause it. I've used the saw about 6 times and each time it acts like this. Any ideas?

are the short strokes caused by compression? if you just pull it and not try and get it to compression does it work better? 5 to 6 pulls is not out of the ordinary if the saw hasn't been started in a some time.

The # of pulls to start isn't a worry, but I can tell something is going on with these different pulls. My old Poulon never had any compression feedback - the engine just spun easy by pulling the cord. I have wondered why some of the other Stihl models have a compression release button, I guess I am learning why?

So what should I be doing different to avoid the compression from stopping a full pull? Pull harder to overcome the compression? It stops it very firmly as if there is a mechanical stop preventing it from pulling further so have been hesitant to force it. Pull it up higher on the initial handle pull to find a spot where the compression has released and then yank it the rest of the way to start it?

Take it back to your dealer and if he's any good he will show you how to start it ( he should have done that when you bought it). Or he should fix it if there is a problem.

Latest posts

Back