Pulling the Trigger on a Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Getting ready to buy a splitter.

Have it narrowed down to an American 24HH or a Timberwolf TW2-HD.

Timberwolf is a bit faster, little bigger reservoir, the American is $1000 less.

Both appear to be well built machines, TW has a 9 hp Honda the American is running a Briggs 6.5 commercial cast iron sleeved engine. TW has a 16 gpm pump. American 13 gpm. Other than that the specs are pretty much the same.

I don't mind spending the money, but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra grand. As I work alone 95% of the time I don't see any advantage to the TW2-HD's faster cycle time. I'm sure the Timberwolf will have a better resale value if I ever decide to get rid of the splitter.

Open to any and all comments and opinions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Take Care

You might want to look at the American 25HH too. It's got a 16gpm pump which speeds up the cycle time to 10 seconds. They run around $3000 depending on what options you go for. I looked at the 25, TW2-HD and the Super Split and ended up going with the SS. Other than some skeptism about how it would handle the real gnarly stuff from guys who never used one I couldn't find a bad thing written or said about it. STL Firewood should get a commision because I kept coming across all his positive reviews in my searches. Based on the manageble size logs I get and the fact I work alone it seemed like the SS was the best choice. Mine should arrive late this week or early next. Good luck and be prepared that you might have to wait quite a while if you go with the Amerciacn or T-Wolf. Wait time for the SS was about 3 weeks. The other 2 were going to be a few months.

dfn0929

Thanks for the reply.
Super Split is out as there is no dealer within reasonable distance.
Both the American and Timberwolf are available in stock at local dealers. Would make the decision easier if they weren't.

Take Care

I'm just outside of Albany NY which is about 180 miles from where Super Split is made and crating and shipping will be roughly $200 but the plus is there's no sales tax. I figured that's less than what I would have paid in sales tax on the other 2 models if I ordered them from a NY dealer.

no way... I'd consider a super split due to extremely fast 3 second cycle times...

human reaction times are in 3/4 second range or longer... with a 1.5 second stroke time... super split gives little to no room for error.

don't believe me... try reacting to something with a split second stop-watch... most folks even when on knife edge, ready to react can only mange a .75 second reaction times.

my splitter is running 15 second cycle times, which is too long. ideally would like 8-10 second cycle time.

Y Other than some skeptism about how it would handle the real gnarly stuff from guys who never used one I couldn't find a bad thing written or said about it. STL Firewood should get a commision because I kept coming across all his positive reviews in my searches.

Chainsaws don't give us much of margin for error and we all use those. It's all about being smart and therefore safe. That way I won't have to trade my Super Split for a prosthetic hand.

Well....

I have a buddy that has the 2-HD and is fine for the staight grained wood, but will not handle the elm, cottonwood. Not enough power for the narly woods.

dfn0929

Thanks for the reply.
Super Split is out as there is no dealer within reasonable distance.
Both the American and Timberwolf are available in stock at local dealers. Would make the decision easier if they weren't.

Take Care

I'm not just saying this it is the absolute truth. You won't need dealer support with a super splitter. Any little piece that you need(bearing on ram or return bumpers) can be ordered and shipped cheaper then going to the store. There are no hydraulics to worry about.

Scott

no way... I'd consider a super split due to extremely fast 3 second cycle times...

human reaction times are in 3/4 second range or longer... with a 1.5 second stroke time... super split gives little to no room for error.

don't believe me... try reacting to something with a split second stop-watch... most folks even when on knife edge, ready to react can only mange a .75 second reaction times.

my splitter is running 15 second cycle times, which is too long. ideally would like 8-10 second cycle time.

If you used one a lot you would change your mind. They are not that dangerous. There are things a lot more dangerous in the Whole process of cutting wood then running and Super Splitter. How many hours do you have in operating a Super Splitter? They have a 2 1/2 second cycle time. @ seconds down and 1/2 a second back. The recoil is just a spring. You can reach down and stop it without a problem.

Scott

Because the super split is so fast,you wont be grabbing for the split button too soon. I think you are more likely to get hurt with a slow cycle time splitter,as you will be rushing and trying to operate the lever before the wood is ready.Throwing it in retract when your not fully ready.just to get the slow piston going backwards easriler. I find I am more likely to get hurt when operating slow equipment,than equipment that is productive.

stl

What are the major wear parts on the ss ??
How often do you change them?

and whats the ball park cost of the replacement parts??

There are 2 rubber bumpers that cushion and act as stops for the ram when it returns. They are around $2-$5. Getting ready to replace those for the first time. Have split 300-400 cords. There is a bearing that rides on the beam. It is $5-$10. replaced it once. That is all. You have the small engine to maintain with oil changes but that's it. There are 2 v-belts that drive it. You can get them at any auto parts store. Haven't had to change those. That's it.

Scott

There are 2 rubber bumpers that cushion and act as stops for the ram when it returns. They are around $2-$5. Getting ready to replace those for the first time. Have split 300-400 cords. There is a bearing that rides on the beam. It is $5-$10. replaced it once. That is all. You have the small engine to maintain with oil changes but that's it. There are 2 v-belts that drive it. You can get them at any auto parts store. Haven't had to change those. That's it.

Scott

Thanks Scott

Ive asked you questions before, as always thanks for all the great info.

Where is your dealer located ?
Ive always thought they were sold direct from the factory only?

There is a guy in Potosi MO that sells them. He doesn't keep any in stock. He just orders them in. Most people order them direct.

Scott

from this thread... http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=778342&postcount=12

STLfirewood,

The super splitter is a very good design. I think the guy who designed did a very good job balancing all the competing criteria from an engineering standpoint. If I had not made the Impact Splitter I might have bought a super splitter. However it has few drawbacks.

First it has to run fast. The pinion can only be so small and you have to have enough shaft RPM to keep the flywheels moving. The result is the rack has to move relativley fast. This may be good for productivity but not for safety. Most rental companies will not rent out a super splitter because they are too dangerous for the average person. There is no way to slow it down enough.

Secondly, I recently went to review a super splitter and found that the machine has a unusually large amount of "kick outs" from rounds that were not straight or not cut at a 90 deg angle (out of square ends). Thisis an unsafe conditon. I believe it was because the pusher is very small however I am not sure. There should be a way to design this issue out of the machine.

Thirdly the super splitter I reviewed was unsafe mechanically. It was an older machine and maybe they have updated the cover and these issues. Anyway the machine I reviewed actually had the flywheels sticking out of the cover an inch or two. There are many areas where you could get a hand or finger into the mechanism. OSHA would have had a field day with that machine. A better cover would likely fix this issue.

Finally, although the super splitter uses the momentum of the flywheels it does not use impact along with it. It is still PUSHING the wedge thru the log.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the super splitter is a good machine but it still as some areas for improvement if it is to be used by the general public.

If you used one a lot you would change your mind. They are not that dangerous. There are things a lot more dangerous in the Whole process of cutting wood then running and Super Splitter. How many hours do you have in operating a Super Splitter? They have a 2 1/2 second cycle time. @ seconds down and 1/2 a second back. The recoil is just a spring. You can reach down and stop it without a problem.

Scott

here's a few comments about super split
----------------------

Quote:
looks like a quick way to lose a finger

Kid I worked with years ago in Ma. lost 4 half way down the finger with one of these..
Scotty
--------------------

I know what you mean. One of the companies I sub for had a bad accident with a super split. Him and his ground guy were doing some splitting. The groundie was pulling the lever and the owner was loading. During a splitting cycle he went to rotate the peice. To this day he doesn't no why the groundie pulled the lever while he was repositioning the piece. By the time he heard it cycle he tried to get his hand out of the way and ended up catching his four finger tips. It didn't cut them off but smashed them pretty good, requiring an ER visit. He was out of work for two month on workers comp. At least it was in the winter months when a little slower. He is back to work now.

http://www.#############/forum/showflat.php?Number=109347

Last edited:
I'm sure I can find just as many about regular log splitters. If you allow someone else to control the ram while your moving the wood your just plain dumb. Would you hold the chainsaw and let somebody else it the throttle? I wouldn't. You have to use caution just like with anything. And somebody saying looks like a good way to loose a finger means nothing. How many times do we tell are kids they are going to fall and break their neck? Actually use one for a while and you will understand.

Scott

I'm sure I can find just as many about regular log splitters. If you allow someone else to control the ram while your moving the wood your just plain dumb. Would you hold the chainsaw and let somebody else it the throttle? I wouldn't. You have to use caution just like with anything.

Very valid points.

I also own a SS. I can see why some folks might think the SS cycle times are dangerous, but I fully agree with Scott's comments throughout this thread. As long as you are the one pulling the trigger, and respect the machine, I certainly don't think it is unreasonably dangerous. It should also be pointed out that the ram will stop/reverse immediately after releasing the trigger. For those who doubt the safety or performance of these machines, I strongly believe you'd change your mind if you spent a day with one.

As much as I LOVE the SS, there are a couple things that a potential owner might want to know about... The ram sometimes likes to hang up on the return. There are only two springs which pull the ram back and any buildup on the beam will cause it to hang up. I keep a scraper in my back pocket and clean the beam every few minutes to keep it operating well. Not a big deal (takes about 10 seconds), but a slight PITA.

Also, don't buy a SS if you think you'll be dealing with really large or tough wood on a regular basis. It will still split through large or tough wood, but you have to not only learn how to read and process it, but you also might have to give it several hits and reposition it a couple of times to do so. Every so often I see something that I know will probably be problematic, and in this case I'll set it aside and noodle it with the saw. As a general rule, the SS likes to work with wood under 24", which is by far the vast majority of what we have here in the northeast.

Lastly, no log lift is available for it. No biggie to me, but it might be a requirement for others. I'm a fairly strong guy and if I can't lift something, I know it might be a hassle for the SS to deal with it. In this case I just take one of my big saws to it until the pieces are <250 pounds... and then both the SS and I can deal with it.

I doubt I'll ever buy another hydraulic splitter. I've owned them and have friends that still do own them, but it's now painful for me to even watch them operate after owning the SS. The only way I'd go back to a hydralic is if I was forced to deal exclusivly with large and problem wood... and then I would own a large hydralic with a log lift. But for the amount of times I need this kind of power, it's not any issue to take the saw to it if I can't process it with the SS.

BTW, to the OP, the SS is made right in Mass, not far from your house.

Well with all the comments about the Super Splitter and the factory proximity 1-1/2 hours away I decided to call.

Spoke with a very straight-forward gentleman that answered my questions, truthfully and we both agreed this is probably not the machine for me. Says a lot about the company when they turn you away because they know you their product is not the best choice for your application. So kudos to Super Split in that regard.

First issue is towing. The woodlot with all the nice free wood is 20 miles away, so the splitter has to be able to be towed over the road. He did not recommend towing the Super Split at all. The exact words were, "like trying to tow a portable cement mixer". The weight distribution of the unit doesn't lend itself to being towed. Very tippy in the woods as well. It's really set up as a yard processing machine.

Parts availability is based upon whatever is available at the factory. If they have it you get it, if they're waiting you wait. Unlike hydraulic components that use standard SAE mounts so a Parker fits where a Gressen that fits with Eaton etc., you're limited to one source.

Wedge height is 6 inches. Big wood is probably going to need multiple hits. His words, not mine.

Thanks for the input, it was well worth learning and sharing, just not the machine for me.

Back to the original premise, any thoughts on the American or Timberwolf?

Take Care

Back