Pulling the Trigger on a Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have bought a used American 25HH off of craigslist but it sold in a matter of hours. You won't hear anything bad about them either. It's got a little smaller engine than the TWHD2 - 8 vs. 9 hp. Other than that they seem pretty comparable other than price. I've never owned or used either so I can't say whether the TW is worth it or if you're paying for the name.

During my search I had it narrowed down to the TW, American, and Iron and Oak. After all was said and done the I&O ended up much cheaper. At the time several dealers were talking $400 just to have it shipped in. No way. I ended up with the 26 ton I&O delivered to the house for less than $2K. Don't go by the prices on their web site, buy it through a dealer like www.toolfetch.com, much cheaper and it ships directly from the manufacturer.
attachment.php

I would go with the American. I have one and it's the best in the price range. Plus they will build it anyway you want.

RX, I do agree with the flexibility piece of American. I think you have the best set-up I've seen with the electric or gas option. Of course it is only money and all the little add ons drive the price up.

The avarage reaction time is 5 tenthes of a second .Not trying to be a know it all just dragracing you figure this stuff out .i practice with a tree .sorry for
the off thread statement im board.:givebeer:

Good point! practicing with a tree predicts when something will occur... there's a HUGE difference in not knowing when something will occur... then react accordingly.

reaction times were taken first hand from a driver ed class I took way back in high school. we were all in driver simulation machines... a pedestrian would suddenly appear on the screen. we all HIT the brakes fast as we could. average reaction time for 16-17 kids ranged from .5 to .75 seconds. highly doubt adults would have faster reaction times than bright eye kids.

it's important to note ... .5 to .75 reaction time were achieved with kids being on knife edge poised to hit the brakes. then simulators were set to duplicate drunk divers... reaction times increased to 1.5+ seconds no matter has fast you hit the brakes. this of course taught kids what happens when you drink & drive.

the whole point of all this.... is super split's inherently fast cycle times (3 seconds for both cycles) which cannot be slowed down due to inertial principal used. SS's super fast cycle times when compared to how fast human reflexes operate... means little to no room for error.

don't believe me... prove me wrong

The avarage reaction time is 5 tenthes of a second .Not trying to be a know it all just dragracing you figure this stuff out .i practice with a tree .sorry for
the off thread statement im board.:givebeer:

Last edited:
Do you want a picture of all my fingers after going through 300 cords for proof? Again I ask the question that you seem to not want to answer. How many hour have you operated a Super Splitter.

Scott

check out this video of an even faster spitter (1 sec)... he's got all his fingers too

never said one couldn't successfully use SS. this entire time... all I've done is stated the limitation of human reaction times as compared to SS ultra fast cycles times. resulting in very little room for error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Hir7E4Yhw

off-topic... found this recall for Brave splitter and iron & oak
a hand amputation resulted by an unexpected extension of wedge

http://boise.injuryboard.com/defect...ty-log-splitter-recalled.aspx?googleid=221134
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2007/log_splitter.html

Do you want a picture of all my fingers after going through 300 cords for proof? Again I ask the question that you seem to not want to answer. How many hour have you operated a Super Splitter.

Scott

I like my 25hh with the log lift and 4 way, gets the job done fast. Good Luck with whatever you buy.:cheers:

Roy Cobb

Many thanks for the reply to my question.
What features do you like and dislike? If you could change anything what would it be? Did you purchase the unit with the log lift or add it after?

American 24HH with the 6.5 HP motor and 13 GPM pump option is rapidly moving to the top of the list.

Take Care

Roy Cobb

Many thanks for the reply to my question.
What features do you like and dislike? If you could change anything what would it be? Did you purchase the unit with the log lift or add it after?

American 24HH with the 6.5 HP motor and 13 GPM pump option is rapidly moving to the top of the list.

Take Care

I purchased the 25hh in '05 with the following options; 4way, wedge backer, catch pans,extended hitch,log lift, (Comes standard with 8hp. Briggs and 16GPM pump.)I figured jump in and get it all at once, It's been a great unit, the operating height is perfect for me I'm over 6' foot, I did remove the fenders cause a couple of big rounds seemed to move my left leg toward the fender!!!.LOL. Other than that, no complaints. :cheers:

Because the super split is so fast,you wont be grabbing for the split button too soon. I think you are more likely to get hurt with a slow cycle time splitter,as you will be rushing and trying to operate the lever before the wood is ready.Throwing it in retract when your not fully ready.just to get the slow piston going backwards easriler. I find I am more likely to get hurt when operating slow equipment,than equipment that is productive.

+1, I couldn't agree more. I'm always trying to make things go quicker with the splitter, trying to operate the lever before the wood is ready, trying to pull the log apart with my hand when the split is only 3/4 the way done...if I had a Super Split I wouldnt even think about putting my hand in the way.

Im glad Im not alone here,When i sue my buddys 35t Huskee,its very frustrating because its slow cycle times,I tend to rush,and try to reach across to get the ram going before the log is secured because its so darn slow.

I had a Huskee too. It was a great splitter. Seemed well built, split anything but it was slow. If it was just the 5 cords or so I burn a year there would have been no reeason to get rid of it but I split about 15 cords with it this year and plan on doing at least double that next year. I'm eagerly awaiting the call to let me know my Super Split is on the way. :phone:

Back