Punishing my 025?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonzoso

Reaction score
I have an older Stihl 025. I got it barely used from a rich guy that moved to Hawaii.

I've got several years of experience cutting with a tree service and worked with USFS before, but always used the professional grade stihls, this is a consumer model.

At my workplace we're cutting down a ton of trees, mostly hemlocks about 18"-24" in diameter, and some smaller stuff. These are big trees, all standing dead. I've been using the 025 for a few days now, and used it a lot before, felling using wedges. It handles that fine provided I do my part, but the bucking has been tough.

It hasn't given me any specific reason to indicate it is about to go, but I've gotten the feeling I'm beating the hell out of it and I need a bigger saw. I don't want to blow this one up as it's nice to have around the house.

I'm thinking about getting an MS-290 farm boss. I don't use it every day but I think with what we've got planned I'm going to wear out my 025.

Think the 025 is capable of carrying on? I've put in about 15-20 days of all day felling, limbing, and bucking with this saw so far pretty much 6-8 hours a day straight, with breaks to refuel and lunch and such.

Keep beating on that 025...it will keep kicking for a long time imo. Just make sure not to leave the chainbrake on while holding the throttle for an extended period of time wondering why the chain isn't spinning. ;)

However, for 18-24" wood that is fairly big wood for your 025, so it may be a little slow and tedious if your concerned about efficiency.

Welcome to AS Gonzoso

I have a 250 and really like it my Uncle has one thats over 30 years old and it runs strong :msp_thumbup:

Keep the chain sharp, and keep flogging that little 025.
Unless of course you just need an excuse to snag another saw.;)

You cannot wear out an 025 with honest use. Lots of people have tried, gave up, sold the saw to a guy who decided to try and gave up, and sold the saw to another. Pawn shops and yard sales are full of 'em. LOL!!
You can kill them, but you wont wear it out.;)

They are slow in anything bigger than 16-18", but dangit, they will get it done.

If I may, look for a good used 361 instead of a 290. Darn 290's are an anvil, but aren't a whole lot faster than your 025.
If you're going to spend the $$ on stepping up, step up enough to notice and make a difference.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Keep using the 025, they are great LIGHT saws and I do mean LIGHT. I have three of them and use them professionally in the tree business. They make great limbing saws with a nice sharp 16" bar and chain. As far as an 029/290, save your money. Keep looking for an older decent 034, 036/360 these saws are very powerful for thier size and very durable, the anti vibe on the 025 seem to be a bit weak. Put a nice sharp 20" b/c on one of these and you might wet your pants!
Also as stated above the 029 is a boat anchor, very heavy, bulky to handle for very long. It's like driving the old 74 LTD wagon(029) then getting in your rich brother in laws lexus (036). Yea you'll get there but you will be worn out when you get to WallyWorld.
JMHO
ACME:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks guys, I just went out and gave it a thorough servicing, blew it all out, cleaned air filter, etc.

As per several threads here I also pried open the flat exhaust ports to increase air flow and adjusted the carb a little and I can definitely feel the difference!

I've put this little homeowner saw through a lot so far and looking at the ms 290 it is only a little more powerful so I guess I'll hold off on buying anything for now.

Keep beating on that 025...it will keep kicking for a long time imo. Just make sure not to leave the chainbrake on while holding the throttle for an extended period of time wondering why the chain isn't spinning. ;)

However, for 18-24" wood that is fairly big wood for your 025, so it may be a little slow and tedious if your concerned about efficiency.

Yep, a little unpowered for the job described, but very durable.

Keep the chain sharp, and keep flogging that little 025.
Unless of course you just need an excuse to snag another saw.;)

You cannot wear out an 025 with honest use. Lots of people have tried, gave up, sold the saw to a guy who decided to try and gave up, and sold the saw to another. Pawn shops and yard sales are full of 'em. LOL!!
You can kill them, but you wont wear it out.;)

They are slow in anything bigger than 16-18", but dangit, they will get it done.

If I may, look for a good used 361 instead of a 290. Darn 290's are an anvil, but aren't a whole lot faster than your 025.
If you're going to spend the $$ on stepping up, step up enough to notice and make a difference.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep, if you have the time, the 025 will be right there with you when you finish.

Keep using the 025, they are great LIGHT saws and I do mean LIGHT. I have three of them and use them professionally in the tree business. They make great limbing saws with a nice sharp 16" bar and chain. As far as an 029/290, save your money. Keep looking for an older decent 034, 036/360 these saws are very powerful for thier size and very durable, the anti vibe on the 025 seem to be a bit weak. Put a nice sharp 20" b/c on one of these and you might wet your pants!
Also as stated above the 029 is a boat anchor, very heavy, bulky to handle for very long. It's like driving the old 74 LTD wagon(029) then getting in your rich brother in laws lexus (036). Yea you'll get there but you will be worn out when you get to WallyWorld.
JMHO
ACME:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep, light and durable and not a lot less capable than a 290.

Welcome to AS Gonzoso

I have a 250 and really like it my Uncle has one thats over 30 years old and it runs strong :msp_thumbup:

Noooooooooooope, unless he has a pre-pre-prototype.

Thanks guys, I just went out and gave it a thorough servicing, blew it all out, cleaned air filter, etc.

As per several threads here I also pried open the flat exhaust ports to increase air flow and adjusted the carb a little and I can definitely feel the difference!

I've put this little homeowner saw through a lot so far and looking at the ms 290 it is only a little more powerful so I guess I'll hold off on buying anything for now.

Yeeeeeeeup, open the muffler on up; the more, the merrier. But personally, given what you have described as the cutting situation, I would invest in at least a 60cc pro-saw.
My brother has an 025 that we have flogged since '96-97. I would guess it has close to 1500 hours and it still runs. I have it in the shop to go over it. It will get a new piston, bearings and seals, as well as a carb kit and lines. Then it will enjoy a life of semi-retirement.

Latest posts

Back