Put a new 25" light bar on my 460...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV wood chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This thing is awesome! I am so happy that I bought this 460 from MS460WOOD. I have used it today with a stihl skip chain, and the performance is unbelievable!! I do have one question though. Why do I notice a spark every now and then? I thought the chain might be too loose and tightened it up to where I still can turn it by hand with a little resistance. It still throws a spark every now and again. This is happening when I am in the middle of a cut or just starting a cut. Clean wood, no dirt.

I am also surprised at the power this has with just a muffler mod. I am on the 7th tank so far and it keeps getting stronger!! Still running a little rich to where it just barely smooths out in the cut. I also noticed, occasionally it will backfire when pull starting. Should I lean it out or just let her run?

Craig

Really? Stihl told me they don't make a 25" Light bar.
There have been several threads on this board where guys claimed to have one, but upon further questioning, they simply Richard-tuck and fade away.

How 'bout a pic and a part number?

Tony

Last edited:
Heck yea, pics please?

A spark every now and then is common on a new bar IME. It'll quit doing it soon. I also thought that Stihl did'nt make a 25" bar. :confused2:

They don't.

Tony,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. There are no current plans to offer a 25” lightweight bar.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,
C.M. Peavler
Technical Advisor
STIHL Inc.

Really? Stihl told me they don't make a 25" Light bar.
There have been several threads on this board where guys claimed to have one, but upon further questioning, they simply ####-tuck and fade away.
How 'bout a pic and a part number?
Tony

The dealer said that he didn't think they made one either, but upon looking it up he found one. It has the weld marks like the light bars do. But it doesn't say "light bar" on it. All it says is rollamatic "E".

I am in the market for a 460 is woodchuck a dealer.

No, he was selling a used one that I bought off him.

Heck yea, pics please?

A spark every now and then is common on a new bar IME. It'll quit doing it soon. I also thought that Stihl did'nt make a 25" bar. :confused2:

Thanks for the info. I will post the number in the morning. I specifically asked for a light bar and he showed me in the catalog that what he ordered me is indeed a light bar.

The Light bars say "Rollomatic ES Light". They look like this:

View attachment 257190
attachment.php

The ES Light bars are a single piece of steel, hogged out and filled in with aluminum blanks. There are no weld marks.

What you described, with spot weld marks, is simply a laminated "E" bar -- Stihl's basic bar. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not an ES Light bar.

Price would be another way to tell. The E bars run about $50-60, whereas the ES Light bars are $155 !!!

The ES lights are filled with air. They machine out metal and then weld a thin layer on top. They leave some ridges on the area they machine out for strength. Slamm on here has popped on of the welds open and posted pictures of what's inside. Sugihara would be the lightest 24" bar available I would think. :cheers:

I wouldn't think you'd save a ton of weight with a lighter Tsumura or Sugihara at that length over a standard Stihl E or ES. Whatever few ounces saved would seem like a difference on paper but not out in the woods. Anyway, though I am a big Sugi fan, the 25 Stihl ES balances perfectly with the 460. Match made in heaven. I do like the lighter bars when lengths start stretching out.

Last edited:
The dealer said that he didn't think they made one either, but upon looking it up he found one. It has the weld marks like the light bars do. But it doesn't say "light bar" on it. All it says is rollamatic "E". .....

That likely means it is a Rollomatic E (laminated bar)?

Those surely are lighter than the ES bars.

I only use two lengths of bars 28" and 20". I have always had great success with the ES bars for their long life, but they are heavy.

I have yet to ever blow up a Stihl tip, before the rails are finally used up, Stihl tips are super tough. That said, I just got a few of the slightly cheaper 20" E bars (they don't have a replaceable tip), because, I don't see the point in getting a replaceable tip on a 20" bar, from a manufacture, that I have never worn out a tip on. I'm going to see how they work out, but I suspect they will be just fine.

I don't use a 24" bar anymore, but I did ask if they made a 24" Lite ES bar and they don't. That said, I would just get the "E" "laminated" bar, if they make it and I used that size, and I wouldn't worry about tip replacement, because its just really rare a Stihl tips goes bad before the rails are used up, which is a long time.

Sam

That likely means it is a Rollomatic E (laminated bar)?

Those surely are lighter than the ES bars.

The "E " is light compared to most other laminated bar, as it has cutouts in the mid laminate.

Wow SawTroll, this is exactly how my dealer explained this bar to me. The 18" bar I just bought for my 029 just says "Farm Boss", but it is also supposed to be a (laminated) light bar.

Anyway guys, here is the part # for the 25" bar I bought....3003 000 7831. I could have sworn that the catalog does show this as a "light bar", but the bar AND the sleeve it came in just say Stihl rollomatic E.

I only use two lengths of bars 28" and 20". I have always had great success with the ES bars for their long life, but they are heavy.

I have yet to ever blow up a Stihl tip, before the rails are finally used up, Stihl tips are super tough. That said, I just got a few of the slightly cheaper 20" E bars (they don't have a replaceable tip), because, I don't see the point in getting a replaceable tip on a 20" bar, from a manufacture, that I have never worn out a tip on. I'm going to see how they work out, but I suspect they will be just fine.

I don't use a 24" bar anymore, but I did ask if they made a 24" Lite ES bar and they don't. That said, I would just get the "E" "laminated" bar, if they make it and I used that size, and I wouldn't worry about tip replacement, because its just really rare a Stihl tips goes bad before the rails are used up, which is a long time.

Sam

The "nose" on the E bars isn't replaceable, but the sprocket assembly is.

Wow SawTroll, this is exactly how my dealer explained this bar to me. The 18" bar I just bought for my 029 just says "Farm Boss", but it is also supposed to be a (laminated) light bar.

Anyway guys, here is the part # for the 25" bar I bought....3003 000 7831. I could have sworn that the catalog does show this as a "light bar", but the bar AND the sleeve it came in just say Stihl rollomatic E.

Stihl does make a quasi light 25" bar. The 4030 is an ES bar that has a 10 tooth sprocket and a very slim profile. It is also a low kickback bar.

I guess I'd question the accuracy of the dealer if he was mixing up "laminated" and "light". The laminated bar is made from three spot-welded thin layers (with cavities inside) rather than a solid piece of metal, so naturally it's going to be lighter than a solid bar. But it's not quite an even comparison with a solid bar.

The ES Light bar has the weight of a laminated bar but the structural and damping characteristics of a solid bar, which is what makes it compelling (to justify the price, that is). Basically, the ES Light bar is giving you the characteristics of a solid bar for 30% less weight.

I just weighed the 28" ES Light bar on my 461, and it came to 2.6 lbs. That is about 0.5 lbs lighter than the regular 25" ES bar I had on my previous saw (441-CM), which is pretty remarkable. I'd expect the laminated 25" E bar to weight about 2.5 lbs -- lighter than the solid 25" bar as we'd expect. It's a pity Stihl doesn't make a 25" ES Light bar, as that would be a nice bar to have on the bigger saws.

Latest posts

Back