quesions about taylor owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdrvr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the site. After being cold for the last few winters and oil up to 4.00 a gallon at times, we have decided on a wood burning furnace. After soul searching and chimney problems have decided to go out door. I Have an unlimited supply of free firewood. Any one out there have experience with taylor outdoor furnaces?
Mark:greenchainsaw:

I considered a Taylor prior to going w/ the Woodmaster. I didn't care for the amount of upkeep that goes w/ them...ie brushing the tubes out daily as the dealer suggested. I have a neighbor running one and he's had good luck I think he's on year 10 w/ his.

Be forewarned

These outdoor boilers consume a lot of wood.So make sure your "Unlimited free supply" Is cut ahead of time and seasoned before you need it..

I have the 750 - and like it a lot - it has an easy 12 hour burn tine and will go18-20 and still relight itself.

I don't clean the tubes out - but once a season - not sure where that comes from.

Seems sell made and strong - i would buy another one if that helps.

I have been running my T-450 for 3 years now and it's a fine boiler IMHO. It was 15 years old when I bought it (actually traded a set of rims and tires for it) and it has been serving me well ever since. I don't clean the tubes every day either. I have a wheelbarrow which I fill with ash and when it gets full I clean the tubes out. Usually takes 3-4 weeks to fill the wheelbarrow. I had to replace the blower fan last fall but that's about it for repairs. If I could, the modification I would most like to do would be to line the firebox with ceramic to capture more burn heat. Other than that, I like mine just fine. Don't worry about that whole "seasoned wood" thing with a Taylor either. I have split Elm and Box Elder that was dripping moisture and threw it in the Taylor. I have also burned some well seasoned Red Oak that didn't impress me much. It burned fast and not much heat transferred. I don't know about other boiler brands but my Taylor likes it's fuel a little on the green side.

thank you

Well that was quick.. Didnt really expect any thing for days. Sounds like a good OWB. I have been cutting fire wood already. Got probably three cords in two weekendsThat was with my old puolan shark, Well now i have moved up to the Husky 455 farm boss.Damn what a saw. Cuts quicker than a knife thru melted butter.
I know of the work involved with the wood thing but was curious to the maintance side and the burn times too.
Thanks to All
Mark:chainsaw:

I also have a taylor 750,heating 4300 sq ft. I clean my tubes 1 a month. I get very good burn times with it.

First season with my 450..so far so good..heats my house and workshop no problem..I have cleaned out the tubes three times this winter and honestly only needed to a couple times. I burn a mix of Oak, Elm, Pine, and basically anything I can get my hands on.

Haven't seen the propane truck all season. Can't get better than that!

man that sucks i get my tube cleaned out weekly..........:clap: so any one have any negitive comments on a taylor?

I have a Taylor T500 and love it! I try to clean out the flues every weekend, I don't know why that dealer said to clean them every day. Taylor IMO is a great company to go with. You see people who have had them for 15 to 20+ years and still work great. Another thing is they don't have the digital stuff or ash augers to go bad down the road. Good luck with your decision! Kalib
man that sucks i get my tube cleaned out weekly..........:clap: so any one have any negitive comments on a taylor?

So far so good

I've got a T-750 and it's about 9 years old (this was my first season). I get about 8 hours of burn time (but this is dependent upon outside temperature, wood being used, etc.). I will say that I'm heating a drafty old farmhouse and the pipes aren't insulated as well as they should be.

I clean it out about every 1.5 months and get about 2 coffee cans of creosote from the flue and internal pipes.

I am getting my Taylor Monday or Tuesday.... Can you tell me what your stoves sit on??? Ground, pad, 4x4's.... I think I am going to try to use a septic lid... They are big enough and cheaper than pouring a pad.... I just would like to hear what others have done... Also I hoping to be out of there at about 7800.00 is this a fair price????

Pad

I set mine on a concrete pad. I also layed out o 10x20 gravel pad.and have put a carport over it. That way i have a dry place for wood and adry place to load the furnace.

I just poured two skids - where the feet will land .. - it also needs a slight slope to the front. (2" back to front)

That is the price I paid last year - but i got 2 pumps and cutoffs etc thrown in for that.

Weight

A poured pad may be more $, but remember, there's a lot of weight with the water added in. I would ensure anything I did (not a pad) could take the weight and not sink into the ground. And as someone mentioned, be sure there's a slope (which needs to be taken into account if something sinks into the ground once the stove is filled).

I put mine on a pad...Nice to have concrete to stand on and not mud. I poured it myself. If memory serves me correct the forms (3-2x6) concrete and all was under $240.00. Figured if I was paying $7,000 for the stove, an extra $240.00 was an easy decision. I like to do it right the first time...

attachment.php

Question for all you Taylor owners....Have you added a light to the front of the stove? If so where did you mount it? Any pictures would be great....

My Taylor T-450 came with a light mounted just above the front flue door. This is our second season with the Taylor and we are very pleased! :clap:

yes - mine had a light - i am pleased - mine ran all last year and this summer for hot water.

Only add i did was a manual fan switch over-ride so i can turn on the blower to get the wood going

Latest posts

Back