question about back cuts (Moved from homeowner forum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can one of you guys tell me what a Skoo-kum is

...........I had a very good friend that had a horse named Skoo-kum... Could it have ment Like KNOTT-head....thanks dave1

We were lucky in the fact we were a timber town, The local mill and locals donated the money:smile2: Can you say night school. I was working with the local hospital and the local medical clinic.I was needed because of the 1 hour drive to the local hospital. Seen a enough to know it would have been nice to have a lot more medic 3's aka Paramedic's. My position in the department was basically the head of the 4 Medic 1's and keep the piece of krap ambulance road worthy,had a 2k budget for supplies and fuel,had to donate tires every year,surplus crummy tires were free from a couple local logging company's.Not a job for the faint heart types,had to drive 80 plus in winter to reach the end of the district boundaries.Rural VFD's are non conformers for sure,Our chief was a #### drunk fool. He was kicked off the department for wrecking the only pumper that was useable for fire suppression, he was snooker badly:dizzy:

OK thanks for the explanation.

...........I had a very good friend that had a horse named Skoo-kum... Could it have ment Like KNOTT-head....thanks dave1

Skookum is good. Don't know if it is Chinook Indian jargon, or Salish, or made up. There was a brand of apples called Skookum Apples and they had a giant Indian head billboard and the eyes moved back and forth. This was on North Wenatchee Ave. I don't know if he is still there. There was some controversy about it a few years ago.

Hey, I'll be like HBRN and google it and see if it is.

Yes. A friend who logged (now deceased) had a rant about foresters "Flagging and Paint, Flagging and Paint!"
"That's all you people do, use up flagging and paint."

Or as I tell the loggers I work with, "give a man a roll of flagging and he thinks he's a damn cop"

This is of course to mock myself

Or as I tell the loggers I work with, "give a man a roll of flagging and he thinks he's a damn cop"

This is of course to mock myself

I always had trouble with some loggers who did not learn to stay out of the paint spray. Some have clothing with green tracer paint on it. Sometimes they moved into the line of fire right when I pulled the trigger.

The smart ones caught on fast.

Hey Dan!

Could I talk you into running a backhoe through San Lorenzo Park and the benchlands. I guaranty you front page celebrity status.

any time. be backdown there nov 21. had a surgury on my right wrist.piece of my hip now in place of all carpel bones.also, I have a roll of " timber harvest boundry " flagging I am going to install in henry cowells.complete with fake thp. and phone numbers. my buddy who called the lowbed and had my excavator moved without my knowledge is in for a big surprise. lmao.

any time. be backdown there nov 21. had a surgury on my right wrist.piece of my hip now in place of all carpel bones.also, I have a roll of " timber harvest boundry " flagging I am going to install in henry cowells.complete with fake thp. and phone numbers. my buddy who called the lowbed and had my excavator moved without my knowledge is in for a big surprise. lmao.

If contacted I will disavow any knowledge of this conversation. This forum will self-destruct in ten seconds.

If you're using the Humboldt undercut, the closing face acts as your stump shot. USFS teaches stump shot on the Humboldt undercut simply because they don't know any better.

Your absolutely right, the govt. teaches stump shot because it sounds like a safety measure. It's better to be an inch high rather than an inch low and have the tree sit back. I cut all my stumps level with no stump-shot. In my opinion stump-shot is a waste of time.

If you're falling trees into the open, no need for a raised back cut, IMO.

Falling through standing timber, a raised back cut is a good safety measure; especially if you know the tree you are falling will brush into another and bounce a second or two before rolling out.

However, you get that backcut too high, it will make some trees harder to wedge over.

I see so many people make the mistake of making their stump-shot too high, which results in the back-cut being higher than the top of their farmer undercut. Stump-shot will make it harder for your tree to hinge over because you have made hinge/holding wood stronger. This is another reason I don't use stump shot, I don't like wedging a tree that i don't have too. I see the stump shot thing a lot with wildland firefighters. And I've seen them pound and pound away on a tree that would have gone over without a wedge, all because they used stump-shot and left to much hinge wood.

Your absolutely right, the govt. teaches stump shot because it sounds like a safety measure. It's better to be an inch high rather than an inch low and have the tree sit back. I cut all my stumps level with no stump-shot. In my opinion stump-shot is a waste of time.

I see so many people make the mistake of making their stump-shot too high, which results in the back-cut being higher than the top of their farmer undercut. Stump-shot will make it harder for your tree to hinge over because you have made hinge/holding wood stronger. This is another reason I don't use stump shot, I don't like wedging a tree that i don't have too. I see the stump shot thing a lot with wildland firefighters. And I've seen them pound and pound away on a tree that would have gone over without a wedge, all because they used stump-shot and left to much hinge wood.

nothing wrong with all cuts lining up.unless, unless, unless, unless, christ, nevermind.

The stump shot acts primarily as a stop for preventing the tree to slid back on the stump (or off it, just on your foot), esp. if the crown hits other crown up there or whatever. Also the last ditch for your life if you manage to pull apart the (too little left) holding wood while wedging (a bad and stupid thing. But may sometimes happen with dry and brittle snag). No matter the face used. With Humboldt and clear way for the crown, the stumpshot is not so much necessary, but it´s way better to have some experience to judge. With conventional or open face, no stumpshot is usualy a big hazard, unless falling from border of treestand into clear, like on clearcut. Someone who knows his wood and has enought fast cutting saw can prevent the need for stumpshot by making to move a tree on a hinge a bit thicker than necessary and chasing the hinge to prevent fibre pull. Good practice needed here.

Too high stumpshot (4" on 12" tree) is a perfect way to get an ugly, like spring loaded barberchair, period. But, a bit highrer shot helps to balance forces in the wood when bore-cutting leaner and releasing it by cutting a backstrap from out.

Quite a lot to consider to cover all variations (species, part of the year, health of the tree, usual manner of trees and usual strenght/brittlenes of wood in patch you´re cutting in...)-so until getting enought practice and feel, a 1" (for up to approx. 12" dia.)-2" (to approx. 30" dia.) is useful rule of thumb. Better safe than sorry.

Back Cut

My old man said 3" on softer woods over 26" DBH, 2" on wood under 26" DBH. Hardwoods aint well seen in my neck of the forest. If she be spongey sloping cut and wedge the witch over.

Just when you thought it was safe to read every post. That was a short lifetime ban.:msp_mad:

Back