Question about cant hooks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting idea... Bob how thick are those teeth? I'm just thinking how much abuse my cant hook gets banging it around logs and using it to pry logs away from things etc. Would those teeth bend or mash sideways by any chance?

Interesting idea... Bob how thick are those teeth? I'm just thinking how much abuse my cant hook gets banging it around logs and using it to pry logs away from things etc. Would those teeth bend or mash sideways by any chance?

Yeah I'm definitely treating this as an experiment (..... well just about everything I do is done that way!). The teeth are made from 1/8" thick x 3/4" mild steel strip and I have no doubt they will eventually get mashed. If they get bent it will probably be at the tips as there is a lot of "weld" supporting them at the base. I was going to make them from a piece of hardened steel but then welding would disturb the temper anyway so I decided to go for regular mild steel. If they get too beat up I can always cut them off and weld another set on - time will tell.

Bob, could u post some drawings and measurements of our cant hooks?

thanks,

jandc
Belgium

Bob, could u post some drawings and measurements of our cant hooks?

thanks,

jandc
Belgium

I will but you will have to wait for 3 weeks as I am currently just down the road from you in Vienna (well that's what Australians will all think, ie that Vienna is just down the road from Belgium)

If you cannot wait that long you can print out my pics and rescale them yourself. The long one is 1.5m (60") long and the short one is 1.2m (48") long.

Latest posts

Back