Question about mix ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedling345

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok im dumb. I know. I should have read the **** but if i mixed a gallon at 40 to 1 how much more 2 cycle oil do i add to make it 50 to 1 or should i just dispose and start over

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

40:1 has more oil than 50:1. Dont try and play mix master chemist style. Just use what you mixed at 40:1 and if you choose to go back to 50:1 do so after all the mix is gone. A gallon of 40:1 whont change diddly and you would never know the difference.

40:1 has more oil than 50:1. Dont try and play mix master chemist style. Just use what you mixed at 40:1 and if you choose to go back to 50:1 do so after all the mix is gone. A gallon of 40:1 whont change diddly and you would never know the difference.
Cool thanks. One of my buddies said running the wrong mix would make it run hot but i wanted a little input from some guys that actually know the way he talked sounded like a wikipedia qoute

And i just assumed 50 being bigger than 40 it would have more guess i could have googled that first

Your assumption is bass-ackwards.

The "40" or "50" numbers are the "parts" of gasoline to 1 "part" of oil. You would need to add gasoline (NOT oil) to go from a 40:1 ratio to a 50:1 ratio.

The only way you could run into trouble with 40:1 is if you were tuned right to the ragged edge on 50:1 and went to 40:1 may make it just too fuel lean and overheat. Most saws are tuned pretty safe rich. Except saws freash out the box that are still epa tuned. Every piece of ope i have ever seen new benifitted from a proper tune.

I bought a saw didnt read the manual (my bad) i use 40 to 1 in my 241 and this other saw 50 to 1 is recommended but it has never had 50 to 1 in it

I figured out that 10 lines on the right hand side (fluid ounce column) of the little 6.4 fluid ounce Husky premix bottles is good to mix with 2 1/2 gallons of gas. That comes to 32:1.

One thing I have noticed was that although the bottle says 6.4 fluid ounces, there's actually a little bit more oil than that. Whether they're compensating for some that may stay in the little bottle and not be mixed, I'm not sure. But I thought it was interesting.

You can get that extra bit out of the mix bottle by dumping some gas in there and swishing it around.

Matthew

3.2 oz is 94.6 ml
Or did I figure wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about your oz measurements but a litre of fuel is 1.98 pints = 4.54 to an 8 pint imperial gallon your US gallons are not the same I understand. Ratios per litre = 50/1 20ml, 40/1 25ml 32/1 31.25ml. The easy way is to enter 1000 in you calculator & divide by the ratio you wish to use, that will give you the amount in milliliters you require for that mix per litre, so for an 8pt gallon at 40/1that would equate to 25ml x 4.5 = 112.5 ml & a US gallon= 6 imp pints? = 75.75ml. :clap:

Back