Question about splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abckidsdad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a horizontal/vertical splitter and the wedge slides down a rail. The wedge has two stabilizer bolts that keep it straight. Well one of the bolts fell out and the other one is bent. My question is are they some kind of special bolt or will any one that fits work?

You can look at the head of the bolt for any marking that indicates "strength", and get ones with same marking to be safe, given the bolt size is also same.
Noko

without pictures, i'm not sure exactly what the bolts do.... I would think with all the pressure and wear and tear, you would want to put a grade 8 bolt in. It is harder and won't break or bend as easy.
Hope this helps.

Some hardware stores have high strength bolts. These would be in the little boxes of special bolts along with metric, allen screws, etc.

And auto parts stores would have them.

They are not cheap! But you only need two...

I think you are talking about the two adjuster bolts on the side of the wedge? I had one snap off from a log (they are in a vulnerable position) and found some replacements at ACE Hardware in the hardware aisle.

They are 3/8 FINE THREAD Grade 5. At least that's what my TroyBilt 27 ton uses.

Longest one they sold was a bit shorter than the original, but still long enough to do the job.

take the one that is bent into a TSC or hardware store. You want to get replacements with the exact same markings on the bolt head. If there are no marking, get ones without them.

If the one you have is bent, it is probably not a high strength bolt. High strength bolts tend to shear with loads perpendicular to their centerline. If the manufacturer put a bolt in there that will bend and not shear, they had a reason and I'd stick with that kind of bolt. It might not hurt to get an extra one or two so if it happens again you are prepared.

take the one that is bent into a TSC or hardware store. You want to get replacements with the exact same markings on the bolt head. If there are no marking, get ones without them.

If the one you have is bent, it is probably not a high strength bolt. High strength bolts tend to shear with loads perpendicular to their centerline. If the manufacturer put a bolt in there that will bend and not shear, they had a reason and I'd stick with that kind of bolt. It might not hurt to get an extra one or two so if it happens again you are prepared.

:agree2:

+2 :agree2:

That reminds me that I have to get some more grade 2 bolts from TSC to act as shear pins for the old Brush Hog. Fall cutting season is just around the corner.

may i throw in a different approach?

I guess these bolts are not there to take any forces but just to position the wedge. So it might be worth checking if the wedge or ram are not worn out somewhere an add some material/ make repair if necessary.

IF my thinking is correct you dont want these bolts to take the pressure as they will break again and can become lethal projectiles.

Contrary to the shear bolt on a flail or other implement, where they are put there to define a weakest point in the driveline, i dont see why you would put them on a splitting wedge. Besides, shear bolts are used by piece, can be multiple bolts in line along the driveline but never as pairs (so 2 bolts taking the strain) you can define 1 breaking point but not 2.

Dont know if the last is clear enough but forget the idea of 2x 1 ton shear bolts gives a strenght of 2 ton. The weakest point will break = 1 of both = 1 ton.

just my 2 cents

:cheers:

Just to clarify, I wasn't recommending shear bolts (or similar grade) for the splitter. I was supporting the earlier recommendation to try to get the same grade bolt as the original.

I do like the idea of checking the other components in order to isolate the cause of the bolt failure, which, as stated, may not be the bolt itself.

You might want to take a look inside your wedge where it rubs on the rails of the beam.A lot of splitters have wear shoes that span over the bolt to prevent stress right on the bolt, and act as replaceable wear shoes.Once these wear down, they get smaller and fall out.you can buy new ones or make em yourself.I made mine out some 1 inch square stock cut to the same length.After busting several bolts myself, i took the wedge apart and found the problem.After replacing the missing shoe I had no more problems.

Latest posts

Back