Question about the V.T.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
To those of you who are successfully using the V.T. have you had any problems with this hitch grabbing the host rope? I'm using 8mm T-900. I'm aware of the length of the T-900 effecting the V.T.'s performance. I'm trying this hitch out on the ground with the 1/2 inch line up over a low branch somewhat simulating a limbwalk. I'm tying the V.T. with 4 wraps & 3 braids. What is wrong here? Let me know if more info is needed.

I'm trying out two different hitch ropes, a piece of 8mm Ultra-Tech that JPS sent me and some 3/8" T-900 that I bought. Seems like the T-900 needs a couple hours of use to break in a little, then it seems to grab better.
I'm also trying the V.T. but so far it seems like the 4/1 Distal hitch is working better for me. I'm tying it so that the crossover is facing towards me, rather than away from me as shown in the Sherrill catalog.

Originally posted by rich hoffman
have you had any problems with this hitch grabbing the host rope?

What's the problem? The rope not grabbing or the rope not releasing?

Nickrosis

Yup, i posted a scare I had a few weeks ago where it was hard up against my sid, having each leg of the rope on either sid of my whilst wworking the tips of a lateral on a silver maple.

The hitch was bunched up, I did not set it and leaned forward. The rope did not catch me where I expected it to and I sorta kept on going before I caught myself.

I was flipped in so it woulda just been embarasing, hanging 40 ft over the drive like that:rolleyes:

Rich,

Sounds to me like your vt. line is in fact too long. So, you either take an extra wrap or two, or make a shorter vt. There shouldn't be too much distance between the ends and where they first wrap around behind the climbing line. If there is, the wraps tend to loosen and bunch up when tending slack. I'm having a lot better success since Mike Maas (in his unique, subtle style) clued me in on this. I'm still not entirely confident, but haven't had it fail to grab since I started adding an extra top wrap a couple of months ago (for me, five total).

I just got a new Blue Streak lifeline as well as the 8mm T-900 I ordered last week. The 8mm grabs a LOT better than the 3/8" T-900 I had and both grab the Sampson Blue Streak a lot better than the New England Safety Blue I have. What type of host rope/ lifeline are you using?

I tried the VT a while ago and felt the same way as Rich does. Gonna have to try it again with the new ropes and see if it works better. I feel the Distal is a lot easier to tie, and I have my hitch rope tied at the right length for it. Gonna have to spend some more time in my tree out back playing with the VT to see if I can get it to outperform my Distal hitch.

4:1 Fred?

Like I keep saying, come up to MKE for the TCI everyone. You cna get hands on with this stuff!

Fred said he will be there. Same with Kevin and Ox.

Come for just one night, get a flite in to MKE in the morning on Friday and crews the chow for 25 bucks. Saturday check out the show a little more then go to the SSA Jamboree down the road. and hop back on the plain saturday night. SSee about sharing rooms with a buddy here...

roundtrip
Philly to MKE 221
Orlando - MKE 170

both flights get into MKE before noon friday.

I made a shorter vt, and it works as well with one less top wrap (four over 1-1/2, now) as the old one did with five. No slips, but it's probably wise to be very vigilant about setting it.

JPS: Looking forward to TCI, it'll be my first. A great chance (along with following threads on this site) for those of us in the technical hinterlands to catch up to the advances you Sconilanders and others are making.

Looks like it may be fun. was worried that with worries on the economy, the attendance and vendor participation would not be as high as the last few.

Back