Question about useing a fan to distribute heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok when I installed my wood stove I had no choice at all except to install it at one end of the house instead of in the middle, just because of the way this place is built :( so obviously I need a fan in the hall way to push the heat down the hall, I do and that works fine, here's my delemia, the bedrooms....... at night when we shut to bedroom doors it gets cold in the bedrooms ( duh), and I have no problem keeping the door open but my kids would rather die that sleep with their doors open, so I was thinking abou placing a fan in the 12" x 20" space above each door, problem is all I can find is either those little triangle fans that go in a door way of the 4" ones that look like a computer cpu fan, Will those little tiny fans actually push warm air from the hall to the bedrooms?
what I'd really like to do is get a Lasco 10:" box fan, those are about $20 vs $70 for other fans but I can't find a 10" one anywhere.

You guys got any ideas?
We have arthritis and heat is kinda important according to the doctors. And money is kinda limited to non extant

I'd re-think it a little bit. Moving cold air toward the stove is much more efficient than trying to push warm air from the stove to the colder rooms. Try it, and you will notice.

Let them die then, that'll teach em!:rolleyes2:

Most of the heat is trapped up by the ceiling. You can cut holes in the wall above the doors ( I forget what they are called but there is a name for it), it will help with circulation but its work.

Why not just get a couple of these fans to put above the doors.
177770_lg.jpg

Northern tool sells them. They have 12" and 8". I have another brand 12" fan and it moves alot of air.

Yeah, open the doors, the kids will either live with it and stay warm or close the door and get cold.

I'd re-think it a little bit. Moving cold air toward the stove is much more efficient than trying to push warm air from the stove to the colder rooms. Try it, and you will notice.

Really? didn't know that I always thought that air pressure moved air pressure

Let them die then, that'll teach em!:rolleyes2:

Most of the heat is trapped up by the ceiling. You can cut holes in the wall above the doors ( I forget what they are called but there is a name for it), it will help with circulation but its work.
let em die? tell my wife that one....then run LOL
I'm gonna do the holes above the doors with grates so it doesn't look like a getto slum, but if that's all I do will the ceiling fans do the trick?

Why not just get a couple of these fans to put above the doors.
177770_lg.jpg

Northern tool sells them. They have 12" and 8". I have another brand 12" fan and it moves alot of air.
A little long to fit I only have a 3" thick wall

Yeah, open the doors, the kids will either live with it and stay warm or close the door and get cold.

Then theres the whole mommie part

Try Down and Mattress Warmers

Ash is spot on: move the COLD AIR. It works !

Now for some re-thinking on heating bedrooms. Most northern European homes don't heat bedrooms. Why ? For one thing you sleep healthier with windows open. Another is that the $$$ saved heating rooms that are only used for sleep is considerable; only U.S. houses use central heating ( note: this has changed with prosperity in the West. And: bedrooms in Switzerland for example, use thick, luxurious down comforters with open windows and NO heat. It can be romantic under warm down:heart:.

We're in northern Downeast Maine. We have cold winters. We heat our place close to 100% with wood stoves with no central furnace. Never any night loading ! The beds have thick down comforters, windows are open, doors closed, and the sleep is magnificent. Try it. :rock:( BTW: you can also get mattress warmers if your arthritis is acting up, an electric blanket under you used in Europe also).

I use a window fan hanging in the hallway. it is about 10" high and 24" wide, has 2 fans. Not the best solution (moving the cold air is better than the warm air) but it helps enough in my small house. Maybe you can install a small fan in the wall, high or low, to move the air? Might have to get raw materials and make it work.

I agree with the sleeping cold mentality, but SWMBOs usually don't put up with such nonsense.

I also tell the kid to suck it up. They'll live, and be better for it.

I did an experiment, today I took a cpu cooling fan and placed it in the vent above the door and it blew warm air into the bedroom, so I'm thinking that a fan will work in my place, guess the gaps under the doors really do let air out of the rooms :)

With one cpu fan yes the gap under the door will do.. With a real fan 10 diameter fan that gap wont do.. Cutting a vent hole in the bottom of the door and installing a bigger fan up top blowing in will do much better..

I run my furnace fan, no furnace just the fan. I can control the fan from my smart phone works real well at evening the heat though out the house

I run my furnace fan, no furnace just the fan. I can control the fan from my smart phone works real well at evening the heat though out the house

I can't do that I was told that using the existing duct work in my house would cause a fire from the wood heat, because the intake for my A/C and heat are connected togeather

they make a 8x12 grill with a fan mounted to it.cut these in over the doors,trim the bottom of the door for a 1in space. worked well for me.

I can't do that I was told that using the existing duct work in my house would cause a fire from the wood heat, because the intake for my A/C and heat are connected togeather

I meant I just turn on my circulating fan on, same as running the furnace but its just the fan.

Yea I got that, I can wire my heater to do that too, but there's no intake near the heater for the oil furnace, the one that is there is for the A/C, so the A/C one is what I would have to use and it ties into the duct work under the house so heat and A/C can go through the same ducts. I was warned about VERY bad things that would happen if I ran it through the A/C unit :(

Yea I got that, I can wire my heater to do that too, but there's no intake near the heater for the oil furnace, the one that is there is for the A/C, so the A/C one is what I would have to use and it ties into the duct work under the house so heat and A/C can go through the same ducts. I was warned about VERY bad things that would happen if I ran it through the A/C unit :(

When I built my home, I put the return intake duct directly above the wood stove. I use the circ fan to distribute the heat. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back