Question for anyone who has the answer. Have a problem with my logsplitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryansg3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a logsplitter which I built last year. It has the 22gpm haldex barnes pump on it and a 13hp commercial honda for power. It has a prince cylinder on it which I picked up for free. The cylinder was purchased new and sit in my uncle's shop for some time. I got it out and decided to use it on my splitter. It is a 2500psi royal line 4" cylinder. It has a 30" stoke. Now for the problem. It splits pretty fast and it does well. When you hit a hard piece of wood, the pump will not go into the lower gear. I have replaced the pump once and it does the same thing. I was just wondering if the seals inside the cylinder could be bad? Maybe they are failing at higher pressure? I am no hydraulic expert so any input on how to correct this problem would be great. Thanks Bryan.

Well what happens? Does the motor bog down? Or does it just keep running with the cylinder stuck?

a poor way to check the cylinder seals is to max out the cylinder, take off the 'other' fitting, and put some pressure on it. If oil spills out, it is leaking past. If not, then your O rings are good.

Then keep looking.

The reason to max out the cylinder to begin with, is that it will be full of oil on the back side of the plunger, and could give you a false reading, as well as waste oil and make a mess.

have you tried it when the oil has warmed up mine takes a while to switch to the high pressure side when its below freezing
you could adjust the screw which determins at what pressure it changes from low pressure to high pressure

Latest posts

Back