Question for those who sell firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i need to get stuff in writing the last three times i bought firewood it was probubly just split even though it was advertised as "seasoned".

i usually dont get enough wood myself to be completely independant but i like at least a year drying time.

I don't sell wood, but I will tell you that a lot of suppliers around here try to sell wood they just split as "seasoned" because it was logged a year ago. I have had many folks ask me if that passes for seasoned. Absolutely not, not around here, it needs to be split for at least 8 months to see any signifcant drying.

I have split to the end of June, stacked by July 4th, and burned in the same year, but I try not to.

I'm new to cutting my own firewood.

I recently bought a house and quickly discovered two things: one, my house isn't very well insulated; two, where I live now (basically in the woods), gets a lot colder than where I used to live (down around 25 degrees at night). The first year, we ran the heater a lot, but the bills were murder and it's difficult to keep the house much above 60 at night (which is pointless anyway, since we only need to heat the bedrooms).

During a storm a few years ago, a huge pine tree (maybe 100' tall or so) fell down next to my neighbor's house. On the way down, it also split a 25' or so oak in half. This was obviously a sign that I should visit my local Stihl dealer :)

So after a while, I decided my plan was going to be to cut up those trees, get them home and split them. Then use the firewood to heat the house (up until that point we had been buying Enviro logs at Home Depot - 10 cases at a time - to heat the bedroom).

Okay, so to make a long story short. I bought a little Ryobi electric 4-ton log splitter first. I was going to weld up my own, but the Ryobi was on sale at Home Depot so I thought I would give it a shot. I found some fallen branches around the area I live in order to test it and was surprised how well it worked. I also used my little electric Sears chainsaw to cut down a small oak (where I'm going to expand my driveway) and the Ryobi made short work of it. For the money and the space it takes up, the Ryobi is darn nice and handles just about anything you throw at it.

Anyway, so soon after, I bought a Stihl 441 magnum. Great chainsaw. I started with a 28 inch blade and an Oregon 72JGX chain. I've since changed to a 20 inch Oregon bar and 72LGX chain (thanks Baileys!) The saw made short work of about 1/3 of the fallen pine, as well as most of the oak.

Okay, so I was very excited about cutting up my own wood, but wasn't sure how long I would have to let it dry before I could burn it. After I got rolling, I stacked up some wood in the driveway (both pine and oak - from the trees at my neighbor's house). After about a week of drying, I became impatient and tried to burn some just to see if it might catch. I put a bunch of rolled up cardboard under it and started a huge blaze, but of course no luck. No matter how much fire I put under it, it was about like trying to start a wet sock on fire with a match.

At this point, I decided to search on-line to see how long people dry their wood for. My friends who cut their own wood suggested around 9 to 12 months minimum. After looking around on google one night, I ran across the following posting where some guy had done a drying experiment on firewood:

Oops sorry, I tried to post a URL here, but the site didn't like it. Instead, I just took a screen shot of the part I'm talking about and have attached it below as a picture.

I thought it was pretty interesting and relatively scientific. It seemed to make sense - that most of the water left during the first few months and then you'd see diminishing returns after that. I decided I would finish stacking my firewood (both the freshly cut oak as well as pine) and then take a couple of pieces every few weeks and test them to see how long it took to dry to the point where I could actually burn them. Since I had already tested the pine after only drying for a week, I had a pretty good idea what green wood acted like in the fireplace.

The wood I was dealing with was very green from what I could see. Even though the tree had fallen a year or 18 months ago, when I bucked up the top 1/3 of the tree and brought it home to split, it was still very wet. I actually took a couple of nails and drove them into one of the rounds to hold a rat trap in place and when I did that, water came up as I drove the nail in. Also, if you tried to stick an axe into the face, you'd see water form around where the axe blade dug in. I figured that was a pretty good sign there was still a lot of water in the rounds. A couple of days after bringing them home, I started splitting. Clearly, they were not dry. The wood felt heavy and when split, you could see water forming any place where the wedge made contact. I figured I was looking at probably a good 6 to 9 months of drying before I could start burning any of this wood.

Okay, so I split the first batch of oak and pine on Dec. 12th, 2008 and ended up with about 1/4 a cord of each. I stacked the pine in two rows right next to each other (so 4x8 with each log being about 12" long). I figured I would wait about 2 months and see if any would burn then. Call that pile #1. Also stacked some oak (about the same amount). Call that pile #2.

Okay, so in the meantime (while that wood was drying), PG&E decided they would show up and clear away all the trees and limbs which had started to over grow their wires around here. In one area down the road from my place, they dropped two pine trees (maybe about 18" in diameter at the base). Whatever they cut down, it had been growing in the ground the day before, so we are talking green here. My neighbor and I decided we'd run down there and grab the wood before someone else did. So on January 16th, 2009, I fired up the Stihl 441 and we made short work of everything PG&E left behind. Brought it home and split it right up - all pine. Call that pile #3 (although in the photo I'm attaching, it's actually the two piles of wood on either side of the log splitter there; pile #1 is in the back ground; #2 is on the right).

Okay, after splitting everything up, I ended up with two big piles on either side of the log splitter. I ended up having to re-stack pile #1 to make room). When I started re-stacking #1, I noticed the wood felt really light. This was on I think January 21st or so, which was when I finally got around to splitting the last of the wood that PG&E cut down. Anyway, so the wood which had been drying felt really light (the pine in pile #1). Also, the color was quite different from the stuff I just split up (see the picture). I should also point out that pile #1 (the first pine) had been rained on twice pretty hard. I didn't cover it because I wasn't expecting more rain. When that happened, the wood had been sitting out for about 2 or 3 weeks. I figured that might extend how long it took for the wood to dry, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I also wasn't much in the mood to buy tarps and start covering the wood piles with ugly blue or brown plastic. I should also note that when I re-stacked pile #1 (the pine), I noticed there was some white mold growing where the two rows touched. I took some Chlorine spray and sprayed on the areas where that had started.

Okay, so at this point, during the re-stacking of pile #1 and the starting of staking up pile #3 (shortly after taking this photo), I noticed the wood seemed awfully dry in pile #1 (this was on January 22 now). I took some from pile #1 (the pine) over to the log splitter and split it down into ~ 2x2 inch slats. It popped right away when the wedge touched it and no water came out when the wedge pressed into the face of the wood. I think I split down two of the pieces of wood out of pile #1 and threw them into a plastic bin. After finishing up for the night, I told my girlfriend I wanted to test to see if the wood burned. Mind you, it had only been just over a month - about 40 days to be exact and it had just been raining on everything.

I rolled up some cardboard and piled up the wood. Sure enough, the wood fired right up. In fact, it burned hot and was gone in about 10 or 15 minutes maybe. I was surprised how hot and fast it burned. I mean, I know pine burns fast, but I wasn't expecting it to be dry enough yet. I ran down and grabbed some more and split it down into smaller pieces. I then used that to start some of the oak from pile #2. The oak didn't seem to burn quite as well, but the pine had no problem burning.

That was a couple of days ago and since then I have burned both the pine and the oak in the fireplace all night long with no problems. I think the oak might still be a touch moist, but it definitely fires right up if the coals are hot enough in the fireplace. The pine seems pretty dry, because it burns up very quickly and very hot. There is no hissing from the wood, so that's a good sign I think also.

I'm not an expert on drying wood, nor have I down any fancy moisture readings or anything. I'm just passing along my experience. Like I say, the wood has been rained on pretty hard for several days, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the internal moisture content of things. The outside is wet of course, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. The wood seems to be burning clean as near as I can tell; there is no huge amount of smoke or anything like that. I'm sure more drying wouldn't hurt anything, but based on the last couple of days (burning the wood nearly around the clock), it seems like it's plenty dry as far as the pine goes and I would say the oak was good too (not having much problem with it either).

What do you guys think? I'm not trying to suggest that you shouldn't season your wood for 12 months. I'm just wondering if maybe the guy who wrote that article about drying it only for a couple of months might be onto something here.

All I know for sure is the house is warm :) I am going to keep an eye on things to see if there is any build up or anything. I may also toss in one or two of those logs that are supposed to clean the chimney out. Has anyone used those and do they work?

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that the wood burned so well after just over a month. I'm going to repeat the test with the wood in pile #3 (the wood PG&E just cut down). It was split on January 19th, 2009, so it still has a ways to go here.

Ray

Last edited:
Seasoned here is a real gray area. There is a guy down the road a couple beers that is selling logs that he bought last summer as seasoned, I highly doubt the wood has "seasoned" much sitting there a few months in log form.

The State guidelines are kind of fuzzy around seasoned too.

We run freshly cut logs through the firewood processor and the processed wood goes directly into the truck and straight to the customer most of the time, but it sold as "green" and they dry it. If I were to get ahead a little, I would want the wood cut to length, split and sitting for a minimum of 3 months before I would sell it as seasoned. Seasoned doesn't imply that it is ready to burn, just that it isn't freshly cut and split right from the stump.To advertise dry wood, I would want it to have been drying for 9-12 months and even longer for wood like oak.

There are wood dealers here that are kiln drying wood and it drys in less than a week to a specific moisture.....over 300 bucks a cord. Their operations are very cost intensive.

Moss Man...

To me, "seasoned" means dry and ready to burn. If I bought wood described as "seasoned" and it wasn't ready to burn, that would be the last load I bought from them.

Just my opinion,
Ian

To me, "seasoned" means dry and ready to burn. If I bought wood described as "seasoned" and it wasn't ready to burn, that would be the last load I bought from them.

Just my opinion,
Ian

Kentucky and Maine are worlds apart and it appears that firewood terms vary a little.

Seasoned here simply means that is has a good start on being dry and that it isn't freshly cut and full of water. The only wood that you can buy here and toss right in the stove is "dry".

A lot of sellers play fast and loose with the term seasoned, here in Vermont as well. It can mean anything from, I split it last week to I split it three months ago or more. I do not consider anything to be dry unless it has been split, put under cover and air dried for at least a year. I had some stock that I cut and split this past May, and I advertised it as seasoned wood. That will be fine to burn at the end of this heating season and for some folks that may be just what they are looking for at a reduced price from my dry stock, so I don't see anything wrong with using the term seasoned as long you are you are being honest with the customer about what you really have. If any of my customers have the slightest question as to whether or not my wood is ready to burn or not, I am happy to have them take a few sticks home and give them a try in their stoves if I think they are serious buyers. After all, whats the point in making a little extra money on wood that's less than advertised, if you end up losing the potential customer for life?

Maplemeister: :cheers:

I got a moisture meter for Christmas and have used it lately to judge the condition of some of my wood. I've got lots of stuff that has been only cut and split for 3-4 months and is already at 15-18%. I believe this to be for several reasons...

The wood was cut when the sap was down and it was immediately split. I've even burned some myself to test and it burns great.

This stuff is locust, ash, hard maple and some red oak.

Rule of thumb is a year with at least 8 months of that being after the wood is split too final size. This covers every spieces but oak as far as I'm concerned, oak needs 2yrs too be at it's best. As far as the person who said what's wrong with having the customer season the wood? Nothing wrong with that except that you'll sell for less money. Seasoned is always $50-$75 a cord more than green. :cheers:

I do mine that same way, always a year or more, longer depending if I have room in my side property.:)

I sell it seasoned CUT AND SPLIT for at least 8 months. Ie I dont sell the stuff I cut and split in July that winter. Seasoned wood around here is a very loose term. Some people sell "seasoned wood" that has been cut a week. Some say "seasoned wood is stuff they cut in October (which isnt true, you need sun, heat and wind to dry it). I have sold green wood, but I am open and honest that it is green and needs to be stored outside in the wind and sun, not in the garage. Most people say wood attracts the ants etc and dotn want to store it over the summer and deal with that. My experience is that cut wood (un split ) doesnt season either. I have split wood that was cut but left in log form for over a year and it wasnt dry at all.

My experience is that cut wood (un split ) doesnt season either. I have split wood that was cut but left in log form for over a year and it wasnt dry at all.

That seems to be my experience as well. Until you break things open (i.e. split the wood), it doesn't do much if any drying out. You have to expose the wood to get it to dry, but once you do, it goes pretty rapidly. I read where you need to leave it exposed to the sun, which of course makes sense. I put my split wood in such a way so that it gets as much sun as possible. I have also started stacking it so that the rows are not touching (so that air can get between each row).

Ray

i dont sell mine ''seasoned'' but i sell it dry and we burn it all the time and if i even question it is a little damp i will throw a piece in the sove and see if it will burn. most people around here dont really mind all they have ever asked for is dry i have never heard of anyone ask for seasoned yet. isnt a cord
4'x4'x8'.

i dont sell mine ''seasoned'' but i sell it dry and we burn it all the time and if i even question it is a little damp i will throw a piece in the sove and see if it will burn. most people around here dont really mind all they have ever asked for is dry i have never heard of anyone ask for seasoned yet. isnt a cord
4'x4'x8'.

Yes but you are in Nevada and it is very dry there so your wood it already seasoned, but for us folks in the east our wood requires salt and pepper to be properly seasoned.

Oh and yes you are correct 4x4x8ft. is a cord 128 cubic ft.

Back