Question from a Prospective Forester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincyhoke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am about to graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Forestry From the University of Montana. I grew up in Northern California as a millbillys son. The industry is nothing new to me, but I have noticed a clear disconnect from foresters and loggers. I plan to stay in the western states in the industry, and I'm not dead set on being a forester just yet. I have a good possibility of starting in the spring as a forester for a private company in northern California. My question is would it be a good move to jump on this forester position, or work in the woods and get some bearings first? The risk I'm running with this idea is that I won't ever leave the woods... not that it is such a bad idea. Any replies will be much appreciated.

Using your degree is nice. And gaining experience in your field is valuable as well.

Give Green Diamond a shot.
I will definitely keep them in mind. I have not met anyone who has worked for them, just heard some off-hand stuff from guys I worked with during my internships with Sierra Pacific. I am still tossing the idea around of working for a consulting firm as well. But working for a company that owns land seems to have some allure.

Try out the forestry end. Folks aren't hiring in as fast as they are retiring out of the business, so experience is at a premium. Get some now while the getting is good.
That is a good point, I guess I never made the connection that as more foresters retire, information becomes harder to acquire. But I also think that there aren't a lot of foresters coming into the industry that have ever been outside of education or maybe an internship. Just wondering if the in-the-woods knowledge would be worth delaying the forester position.

It's definitely very important getting all the experience you can from the old timers right now before they retire. I've worked for Green Diamond as an intern, good outfit. They are laying people off in WA but Oregon and California Green Diamond offices may be hiring. I myself just got laid off from my first full time gig as a forester due to the downturn. There are very few jobs out there at the moment especially in my geographic area. Things may/should start opening up the end of the month and in November but with how bad this year has been it may not be till late winter/spring. If you have a 100 percent sure opportunity with a company take it while you can. There are plenty of guys with experience looking for work.

Wes

Well thank you madhatte and wes. I truly appreciate the input and will definitely use this to help guide my decisions.

Also, if you work around logging operations, you can always ASK questions of the loggers. They know what their equipment can do--they've done it, and often are glad to help further the education of a forester, especially if it clears up a misconception that makes their job harder. And yes, they'll try to get away with things and might do it, but you'll learn. Get off the landing and watch the actual work. Learning never stops.

Note that there are as many different kinds of foresters as there are loggers. Wes specializes in selling logs, Slowp in sales administration, and I specialize in sale planning/layout. There are also folks who specialize in inventory and folks who specialize in cruising and folks who specialize in roads. Get out there and try some stuff and see what fits.

Quincyhoke,
I am an RPF ( Registered Professional Forester) for a private timber company, as well as a graduate of Feather River College in Quincy Ca, and the University of Montana. There are many options for work as a forestry technician in these parts with both timber land owners as well as consultants. One of the best resources for employment oppourtunties is the CLFA ( California Licensed Foresters Association) website. If you are looking for seasonal employment make sure to get resumes in early, like January. Being a forester is a rewarding profession and way of life. That being said..I also work with loggers every day and continue to learn an amazing amount from them that I didn't learn in school. If you are offered a full time job as a forester take it and run with it and start studying for the RPF exam, it is a challenge. Best of luck!

Good advice so far from people who really know...especially the part about watching and learning from the loggers. If you go to work logging you won't really see much except for whatever job you're doing. As a forester you'll move around more, see more, be exposed to more different situations.
You might find that, once they get to know you and realize you aren't just another PITA new guy, the loggers will be easy to talk to and more than willing to answer questions.
Just try not to park your pickup in the way, okay? :laugh:

Thanks for the advise! I am taking a lot away from this, much more than I anticipated. I don't get to pick the brains of many people outside of education, and the industry is represented much differently here than where I come from. Thanks everyone for the replies. I am learning a lot from this.

Take advantage of the student card while you've still got it to play. There's no shortage of foresters around the Missoula area. As madhatte said, they represent many facets of the profession. It doesn't hurt to call someone up and play the card. A student wanting to meet for coffee and ask some questions, or tag along in the field for an afternoon will usually get a favored reply.
Nows a good time to get some "industry outlook" advice. I know the lumber agreement has folks thinking ahead around these parts.
If you want some local names, send me a message through a conversation

Having been in your shoes as an intern working with loggers here is what I would say.

1. You need to be good at shooting the breeze and building a rapore with those guys. Some it will be easy some you just flat out won't. If you can just talk with em they will remember that and they will be willing to teach you and even if you don't see them for a few years they will remember you, not necessarily your name but your face and what kind of guy you are and will talk with you like it was yesterday.

2. Supporting the above don't go at it like you know everything; I'm not saying you would just be mindful of the possibility of coming off that way. Part of that is using your head about where to park, where to stand, and how you approach the equipment and operators. Always and I mean always stay out of the bite and make sure the guy acknowledges you before walking up. I have the philosophy there are no dumb questions just the ones you don't ask, now we all know there are dumb questions but usually they are asked by people that should know better. Don't be afraid to appear dumb, this is okay as long as you ask good pertinent questions that show you are willing to learn. The guys will answer them but don't come back the next time and act like you are an expert. Common sense right. There will always be a guy that will give you some pushback. If you are going to make a command decision and bring up an issue be sure you absolutely know what you are talking about otherwise you should ask it as a question; and if you are right don't roll over. You do that you will lose respect.

3. Make an effort to learn their job. Maybe not to the point that you could do it but so that you understand what theyt do and why.

4. Common sens. The whole job is about common sense plain and simple. We know it happens but don't shut the end of your flagging or your string box in your truck door and string that stuff everywhere. They'll get a good chuckle and you'll feel dumb. Depending on they guy he will think you are dumb. Had a shovel op tell me a story about that one time. I always made sure I didn't do anything like that the first few times I was on a job. Luckily have never done it so knock on wood.

5. If you can (by this I mean permission from your boss) get down in the rigging crew and set a few chokers. Learn what they do. Or help em set guylines. If there's something they could use an extra hand with real quick and your boss allows, do it. If you're in a small community everyone will hear about it, same as if you're a pompous jerk.

Back