Question from E-Bay customer about helmets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had Peltors for years now Husky.. like the Husky better.

I have a MSA but distorted the face screen and pulled out several of the "plugs" that hold it in place. Several twist ties do the trick now. Now I mostly use a Husky I bought a couple of years ago.

I all boils down to where you are and legally what is required if its for work, and for the everyday consumer, how much you figure your head, eyes, face, and ears are worth.

If being used commercially anywhere in Canada the helmet has to be CSA (Cdn Standards Authority) approved should you ever hope of making a claim. The Husqvarna pro forestry helmet is not CSA approved and cost more than the regular helmet from Husqvarna, CE and meeting the CSA specs means nothing, it needs that lil stamp on it. Just an FYI for our northern members.

Anything is better than nothing, when is -30c/-22F any brain buckect sucks, for working in the bush a ratchet style suspension in vital, and it should be tight, your helmet should never fall off your head while you are working.

For those with plastic/poly helmets and even suspensions, the material degrades in the sun after time, so replace them on a regular basis.

I have a couple of the Dolmar helmets with full face shield and muffs. The muffs are not great, but keep out most of the noise. Somehow they seem a little cheap, but still safe. I am looking for a better setup but am OK with the Dolmar (I knew I should have gotten Stihl!).

I have the stihl helment, and it works good for me with a 7-3/4 or 7-7/8 hat size (big). One other nice thing, I broke the ratcheting headgear and it was only $15 to replace at the whole inner part at a dealer.

I am on my second Stihl helmet, about $60 in this area. First one saved me serious injury when I got hit in the head by a widow maker.

I just bought a Petzl helmet from Baileys and added the peltor eyes and ears. Got this for the more active cutting chores, IE bending over a lot etc, really like the chin strap and lack of weight. Bailey's - Petzl Vertex II Vented Helmet

To the guy who mentioned buying one for a dollar at a yard sale, not a good idea. What if it has been dropped or compromised in anyway? When I got nailed the branch skidded from the top of my head to the front. The front part of my helmet shattered. Had it been broken or weakened in anyway it wouldn't have survived the initial impact and I would have had a branch in my head. This is not the place to save a buck or $59 for that matter.

Husky helmet for me, best helmet for ground use (not climbing) in my opinion

Tried the Stihl, ear muffs let in too much noise for my liking.

Tried the Oregon, you know that knight in Monty Python who has to keep holding his visor up? That's what the visor on that is like, won't stay up when you want it to.

I have the fancy stihl one and I never use it, the face shield sticks out too far when it is up and the muffs are very finicky

The one that I always use is the Peltor pro forestry system with the ratchet adjustment. The face shield is spring activated it is out of the way when it is up and the earmuffs work very very well.

So it sounds to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the Husky one seems to have the most positive reviews for ground work and if you climb, then the Petzl with the chin strap is the one to get. For such an important piece of safety equipment, I am floored by how cheap these are. In racing, a Sparco or Alpinestars race suit generally costs more, but they have more layers of flame retardant material and are put together better. Even the aluminum buckets are reasonably priced. I guess that is to encourage people to replace them if they take a hit, instead of continuing to use one that may have excessive stresses exerted on it.

Nick

Anyone like/Dislike the ones sold by Stihl?? What kind of money for a good one?

never used one, or no anyone that does... but had a dealer tell me the Stihl Promark was not as good as the regular Stihl. Something about the facesheild or muffs doesn't move as far or as good, and they had a few people break hem off. Enough problems that she is no longer stocking that one.

dw

I had an early 90's Stihl helmet that I liked, but it fell off the wall last year and busted one of the muffs off. I have a Rockman now and it works just fine and the muffs are quieter than the old Stihl ones.

Latest posts

Back