Question on a man purse :) while working on the rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillamook

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I got on as a choker setter and am wanting to bring a small backpack down into the brush with me while setting chokers. I do not plan on wearing it while I work but just so I can have some things I will need like tiolet paper, rain gear, water, lunch, extra pair of gloves, cork wrench and some spare corks.

I have been told its not needed and to just bring a lunch box but I think it would be nice to be able to have all the things I need within reach and to be able to go up and down the cut hands free.

What are your thoughts on this?

I realize I am going to get allot of guff for having a backpack (man purse) but I think having everything I need near by will be worth the crap people will give me for a while.?

Any suggestions or thoughts on this would be great! What do you bring down with you? Is there anything I should add to my pack? Should I forget the pack?

I realize I am going to get allot of guff for having a backpack (man purse) but I think having everything I need near by will be worth the crap people will give me for a while.?

Any suggestions or thoughts on this would be great! What do you bring down with you? Is there anything I should add to my pack? Should I forget the pack?

Bring whatever you think will be a good idea. If it's a problem, you can always ditch it the next day.

Anybody pokes fun at you? Be sure to make them pay for the privilege of using something you brought and they didn't.

I wear a holster-style contraption to keep track of my phone, keys, other stuff. It bothers some folks, but I don't really care. They can look the other way, and I don't have that stuff falling out of my pockets or snagging on things hanging from my belt.

Silly Randy! They might call him a Forester if he wore a vest.:msp_scared:

When I saw purse, I was thinking of some loggers who used their Aunt's cast off purses for tool bags. I couldn't believe it when I saw them carrying a purse. They corrected me and said it was now a tool bag, not a purse.

I've mostly seen lunchboxes --the cooler kind carried down and bumped along.

Keep us posted on how it goes please.

Last edited:
Use what works. Guiding Principle there. You'll figure out a system.

Probly help break the ice, ya think

Beatrix-Papar-Lunch-Box.jpg

I used to use a little Nalgene bottle with a carabiner on it for water. If I needed more, just clipped it to the block and sent it up. Jerky fits fine in pockets. Put corks in right the first time and no reason for extras/wrench.

Probly help break the ice, ya think

Beatrix-Papar-Lunch-Box.jpg

Well, it might get something broke, that's for sure. :laugh:

Hey Tillamook...just try to do what everybody else is doing for awhile. I'm sure you've already figured out that sometimes you have to flat out move. The less you have to pack and keep track of, especially if you're working in heavy slash, the better.

A whole roll of TP isn't really necessary unless the 7-11 breakfast burrito has taken a dislike to your entire digestive system. If that happens just eat a little dirt. Really. Dirt. Not too much or it'll plug you up. Take the little sticks and rocks out first.

It is very common to see a pack sack. I used one for years. Carried my lunch and rainclothes in it mainly but had a pocket in it for a few small things. You won't want to carry it with you all the time but you can stash it somewhere same as you would a lunch bucket.
Couple tips:
Pick one that is water proof
Needs to be big enough to stuff your rain gear in. If you have to roll it up tight to fit it you'll be unhappy with it.
Should have some snaps on the shoulder straps so you can put it on the rigging.
Setting chokers you won't need much in the way of tools but it is nice to have an outside pocket to hold a few small things.

Don't need cork wrench or corks.
Tp in pocket
Water jug is seperate. You won't want it in the bag.

Hey Tillamook, just kidding about the Owl box. Don't do it.

as for Gologit's suggestion about dirt, works good. Some sand too helps.
Maybe a few smooth stones. Kinda dulls the appetite.

I've been wearing corks for a few months now, and I've yet to have one fall out, I doubt you really need to carry tools around "just in case" out in the bush. Fix that at lunch time or when you get home or back to the truck.

One thing you might bear in mind, its something I have learned doing various rough and tough type of endveavors and hanging around those that did them before me and were good at it................ one of the easiest ways to spot a rookie is by all the crap they bring on the first few times they do something. I mean if the rest of the workers can do the job with just a lunchbox, do you really want to be the guy that has a lunchbox and a purse?????

Start light and work hard, if you need something bring it tomorrow and do without today ,,,,, you won't die. Better than bringing a purse full of stuff you will find you don't need or have time to enjoy, because you were suppose to be setting chokers, not screwing around with the one caulk that fell out.

My opinion,

Sam

I have always had a backpack. Dry gloves granola bars apple water rain gear. That's it all you need. Take out what you need and shove it under the yarder to stay dry, just not in the shiny black spots. We always holler across the bugs to send out water jugs when needed. Had to wrap a few Gatorade bottles with tie wire to hang on the bull hook as a I was chasing today.
I have been looking at a new pack. It's like a dry bag with shoulder straps made by Grundgens.

O ya bag your tp and stuff on a pocket. Or forget it and just use your pocket/s sleeves socks or spare gloves if needed. Leave the rest on the landing and grab a snack between road changes. The side im on we don't stop to eat. You eat on the way there and way home, snack on road changes. I brought a lunch box once and now have the nickname "Lunchbox". Be carefull what you do or say it may be what you end up being identified by.

A whole roll of TP isn't really necessary unless the 7-11 breakfast burrito has taken a dislike to your entire digestive system. If that happens just eat a little dirt. Really. Dirt. Not too much or it'll plug you up. Take the little sticks and rocks out first.

I'm sorry, that just isn't good advice. You are far better off to just suffer a bad case of explosive trots than you are to eat some dirt as a palliative.

Get two tablets of imodium, and keep them in your watch pocket, or better yet, your "man-purse". They come in tough little plastic packets, they keep for years, and they won't give you any new diseases. Two pills take as much room in your pocket as two quarters.

I'm sorry, that just isn't good advice. You are far better off to just suffer a bad case of explosive trots than you are to eat some dirt as a palliative.

Get two tablets of imodium, and keep them in your watch pocket, or better yet, your "man-purse". They come in tough little plastic packets, they keep for years, and they won't give you any new diseases. Two pills take as much room in your pocket as two quarters.

I don't know. Bobs been at it for a while....

Might be something in that. Dirt's been around a bit longer than imodium. Having said that, I have imodum in my small first aid kit. Mostly for food poisoning. I take it together with hydralite, or just some water with a bit of lemon/honey or sugar/salt in it.

A lot of the rural old school natives in aus still eat dirt. I didn't believe it until I was up north in the outback and got a chance to see it. They were kind of particular about the type they ate, the ladies preferred the kind that was rich, dark and red. They ate it by getting a plastic bag full, licking a finger then dipping the finger in the bag so some would stick to the finger. Then licking it off. They'd get a real hankering for it sometimes and claimed it to be better than gravy. True story.

I had a taste and I think I'll stick to gravy. Doctors say there's nothing wrong with the habit and that the soil contains trace nutrients and minerals that can be beneficial. Eating dirt in hard times is an age old practice in some cultures. It slows hunger, and does have minimal nutritional value. Drinking seawater is an age old cure for seasickness too, so maybe we'd best be not too quick to judge ;-)

Shaun

I wouldn't worry about carrying imodium. The only time I've come down with tummy problems suddenly in the woods was when Giardia hit. Dirt wasn't going to help that. Try not to drink out of creeks. And don't poop where the next setting for the yarder is going to be. The landing guys don't like that. I saw that lecture being given to a guy.

I vote with Humptulips and Horsefaller. I've seen water and munchies sent down on the rigging. Hopefully, the guy you work for will do that if needed.

What is sad to me are the guys I've seen who eat/drink a can of cold soup. Yuckers. Also, some guys say eating makes them too slow. You'll figure it out.

We had a lady who would bring in her store's extra, soon to expire Easter and Valentines Day candy to our office. Most of us were of the age when we had to watch our caloric intake. So, I would declare it Make A Logger Fat Day and I'd take the candy out and give it to whichever crew I was checking on that day. One guy was almost in tears because he said it was the first chocolate bunny he'd ever gotten. I told him the custom is to bite the ears off first.

Don't forget the Skin So Soft insect repellent. :laugh:

You have a point. It probably wouldn't be the best choice if something better was available. If I was mowing lawns and trimming shrubbery in Kansas City and had a 7-11 store on every other corner I'd go with whatever I could quickly grab off the shelf.

But if I'm working twenty miles from the nearest paved road and fifty miles from the nearest town and I don't happen to have any medicine with me I'll probably grab some dirt. Clay is preferable.

You might prefer to suffer a bad case of the explosive trots. Most people wouldn't.

Back