Question relating to the Hydraulic Fluid filler plug on a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ri chevy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a log splitter that is leaking hydraulic fluid from the filler plug. There is a little vent hole in the metal filler cap that leaks fluid. Is there supposed to be something that vents or blocks the fluid from leaking?
Any help or insight appreciated.

It is an open vent. If it's too full it can be an issue but the vents of that type will show signs of a leak with use. If you get more than a residue and the fluid level is correct it might be foaming the oil. If that's is the case I'd try changing the fluid.

JFI, you cant plug the hole in the cap. The oil expands when it gets hot and contracts when it cools off. Completely closing off the vent could result in a tank with cracks in the welded seams as it swells up under pressure and sucks back under vaccum. I have completely collasped plastic tanks when the the vent got plugged.

I like the suggestion of using a nipple and a small oil filter as a cap. The filter will help catch any dust that could get sucked inside a open vent. Might even help trap any moisture in the air. All pluses when it comes to hydraulic systems.

I am going to use a piece of pipe to extend the vent cap. I will post a photo when I get it done.
Thank you to all for the help with a fix!

That is the same as mine and thousands of other speeco type splitters. Mine leaks if I have it too full. The oil level should be in the middle when cold. When I top mine off if overfilled it leaks some when moved, especially with hot oil. I just wipe of the oil and eventually it stops doing that once the oil level gets to where it wants to be. I don't use mine a lot. I haven't changed the hydraulic oil but changed the filter on year #2.

If it is low and doing that you likely have foaming. Time to change the oil.

I have a speeco as well and has leaked just enough to leave a residue since it was new. I've changed the fluid a few times and ATF works best. Mine cracked the tank at the engine mount but its been a good one.

I did the fixed mentioned and used a 1 1/4 by 4" piece of pipe and a nipple. It fixed the leaking problem perfectly! Thanks again for the insight.
e3bbab52b5fc6740c02d50d570bda5ed.jpg

Cool. I was looking into that next.
My splitter was only leaking during transportation. The drive to and from the site. This pipe fix should be factory OEM! Fluid is new. I may have had the fluid on the higher end of normal. Nonetheless it is better than new.

It is still venting out of the same hole in the plug. I just raised the plug higher up with the small piece of pipe and the coupling. The plug is screwed into the coupling. It makes it more difficult for the fluid to leak out.
The vent hole is on the back side of the photo, so you can't see it from the photo I posted.
Just where the threads put it. Lol

Back