Question relating to the Hydraulic Fluid filler plug on a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JFI, you cant plug the hole in the cap. The oil expands when it gets hot and contracts when it cools off. Completely closing off the vent could result in a tank with cracks in the welded seams as it swells up under pressure and sucks back under vaccum. I have completely collasped plastic tanks when the the vent got plugged.

I like the suggestion of using a nipple and a small oil filter as a cap. The filter will help catch any dust that could get sucked inside a open vent. Might even help trap any moisture in the air. All pluses when it comes to hydraulic systems.
Hey I bought a brand new wood splitter from Tractor Supply a few weeks ago. It worked fine for 2 whole days then the 3rd day it started getting to the point of stalling even when it was retracting it couldn't snap the handle to neutral and almost stalled off. Now after digging for the operator manual I found a oil fill plug with a dip stick and vent plug it appears as though TSC never replaced the shipping plug with the dipstick plug when they filled it with oil. The question is, would running the wood splitter for a good work out ruin the pump if it didn't have a breather plug installed?

JFI, you cant plug the hole in the cap. The oil expands when it gets hot and contracts when it cools off. Completely closing off the vent could result in a tank with cracks in the welded seams as it swells up under pressure and sucks back under vaccum. I have completely collasped plastic tanks when the the vent got plugged.

I like the suggestion of using a nipple and a small oil filter as a cap. The filter will help catch any dust that could get sucked inside a open vent. Might even help trap any moisture in the air. All pluses when it comes to hydraulic systems.

Tractor Supply forgot to install the breather plug on my brand new wood splitter when they added oil and put the shipping plug back in. And we used it heavily for half a day now it all most stalls the engine when we have a medium size log when in the pass it would split it no trouble. The Question is, did running it with out a breather ruin the pump?

Doubtful it ruined the pump. Having some other issue. Assuming it's under warranty it would be best to call whatever number/ go back to tsc amd see what they want to fo about it.

Back