Questions On Chaps, Getting Hurt & Hot Weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've never worn chaps before. I nicked my knee once and required 3-4 stitches... not real bad, but enough to go to the hospital. I feel I'm a very safe and good chainsaw operator, but anything can happen so I'm considering wearing chaps.

If I would wear them I would get the orange ones and that's only because I perceive them as being cooler when the sun is out. I'm concerned they will be hot when the weather is 84°+ and humid. From your experience from wearing both the orange and the black chaps, are the orange ones cooler on a warm day when the sun is out? Black really absorbs the sunlight so that's my reasoning to go with orange.

Injuries:

I've had about 3-4 chain brakes in my life time. I've had the chain slip off the bar about a dozen times:

1.) Anyone ever get hurt from a chain that broke? If so, how?

2.) Anyone ever get hurt from a chain simply coming off the bar? If so, how?

Your feedback appreciated kindly.

StihlRockin'

Never been cut on the legs from the chain...only my finger tips when sharpening the chain.

I have the orange Stihl chaps-not sure the name/style-they arent the full wrap arounds...those are the ones i want. the ones i have will get warm in the hot summer...can tell i've been cuttin during the summer b/c the fronts of my pant legs are wet from sweat and the backs are mostly dry LOL.

mine arent close to bein the original orange color b/c of dirt and oil gettin worked into them over time so i guess they are closer to being a brownish black in areas....so im not sure how much the colors will matter, they're thick to that traps in heat and moisture.

just my .02

I just ordered a pair today. Didnt want orange or black, so I went with forest green. They will probably get just as hot as the black. I have never worn chaps but was thinking the other day when i was cutting firewood...It only takes one slip up to really mess up your life. I didnt go with the full wraps. Baileys had a pretty good deal. $50. No reason to not do it. other than "not looking cool" but its hard to look cool with only one leg, or dead.

I probably look like a moron with all my protective gear on. hardhat/ears, glasses, kevlar gloves, stihl protective shirt, labonsville double thick chaps and steel toe shoes.

but so what..... better to look like dork and be safe. than to get cut badly and a trip to hospital.

I probably look like a moron with all my protective gear on. hardhat/ears, glasses, kevlar gloves, stihl protective shirt, labonsville double thick chaps and steel toe shoes.

but so what..... better to look like dork and be safe. than to get cut badly and a trip to hospital.

No you don't look like a moron. You look like someone who cares about himself and for all those who rely on you to provide for their needs.

Heat

I wear orange chaps, heavy clothes, gloves, hard hat, face shield and hearing protection when cutting. I live in south Louisiana and it gets plenty hot in the woods in the summer. I start early (first light) Drink lots of fluids take brakes often, and quit when It gets too hot. The protection is worth putting up with the heat. (I am 58 years old, and very out of shape) I dont do this for a living every day. I just cut firewood for my personal use, and clear trails on my property. I usually bring a change of clothes because around 2:00 pm when its 95 to 98° and the sun is beating down and the humidity is 80% or so, its time to go to the house, and I am usually pretty ripe by then. I haven't tried the black or green chaps. Only the orange.

I am totally for wearing chaps. Wouldn't matter if it was 100 deg out i would still be wearing them. When i was younger i tripped with a saw in my hand and layed it across my inner thiegh. It took my almost an hour to clean the kevlar out of the saw so i could run it again. After that that day it has always been full wrap chaps on my legs. I really don't think the color is gonna matter much. I have had green, blue, and now my full wrap orange they all are HOT. Thanks, Mike

Wear the chaps. I favor the orange ones but anything is good. The minor discomfort from hot weather is nothing compared to having to put your prosthetic leg on every morning. A little sweat never hurt anybody.

Like GASoline71 says...Buck up, buttercup.

When customers ask about chaps and other safety gear, I tell them it may cost a chunk of change but it's still cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.
My legs are worth more than 70$.

I wear the stihl orange ones

In the summer I just wear work boots and a pair of shorts under em..

The only ones local were the stihl orange chaps. Well worth the inconviences of hanging up on twigs and the heat. It always seems like I am cutting in poor footing situations with the saw below my waist and I often hold the powerhead near my right hip when limbing. I like the securtiy against mishaps in addition to paying full attention. I've started making it a point to cut in my steel toe boots as well. As a note, I cut alone on occasion and like the visibility of the safety orange color incase someone has to find me.

It allows me to better focus on cutting wood rather than being overly concerned about not cutting myself. I don't think cutting firewood, or logging for that matter, is worth permanent disability or death if it can be prevented.

In the summer I just wear work boots and a pair of shorts under em..

I know what he meant but it just reads wrong :cheers:

This are some prototype PPE suits I'm workin' on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

On the serious side, I wear full wrap chaps on the ground and they can get hot. No leg protection when climbing, but I am considering it.

Last edited:
My mishap happened because I got frustrated at trying to undercut a 1/2" limb and the bend on the limb was preventing me from cutting through. At the time I didn't see the reverse pressure and I got mad and flipped the saw down. It was still running/spinning and the tip stayed put and the powerhead bounced on some brush, did a 180° flip coming back at me and got me on the knee. My bad.

Thanks for y'alls replies. Makes a guy think twice about not wearing chaps. I've been not using them for 25+ years and I think it's about time I do.

The reason I worded my question about the chain braking or coming off causing the injury, is because that's the only way I see it happening for me. Knock on wood.

Thank you.

StihlRockin'
icon7.gif

Or be dead! I was stupid(and ignorant) for many years, so I figure I used all my "luck" back then. I can't afford to hope I am "lucky" and not get hurt, or worse. Where I cut doesn't get a decent cell signal, so I have to be extra careful.

Latest posts

Back