Questions on Logs/Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How long is the log good for once it is cut and on the ground for firewood purposes? Once the log is cut and split for firewood purposes, how long can this stacked wood be good for??? Years?? I understand it takes about a year to be seasoned properly. Once it is seasoned, how long can it be good for? Especially if I am gonna be selling it??? Wondering what you guys do if you have cords left over you do not sell???

Newguy777 said:
How long is the log good for once it is cut and on the ground for firewood purposes? Once the log is cut and split for firewood purposes, how long can this stacked wood be good for??? Years?? I understand it takes about a year to be seasoned properly. Once it is seasoned, how long can it be good for? Especially if I am gonna be selling it??? Wondering what you guys do if you have cords left over you do not sell???

It will last several years once split and stacked.

I only sell a few cords/year as a favor to a couple people. My rule on maintaining my stock is 'first in, first out' thus any sales and what I use is always the oldest stuff in the stockpile.

Harry K

I once bought several truck loads of logs that had been left on a landing for 6+ years. The logs on the top and bottom of the pile were junk. Surprisingly there were more junk logs on top than the bottom. Almost all the Oak logs were still good.

Cover

Newguy777 said:

Most importantly keep it up off the ground and DRY. That means covered and out of the rain and snow. If it gets wet, the life on it is about 1/4 of what you'll get if you keep it dry. I got wood from a dude's basement last year, about 2 face cord, that was around 7 or 8 yrs old. It was still primo stuff. Burned great. That was maple, beech, and birch(white and yellow). If theres a place you can set it so the sun hits it everyday, that's the best.

I did a timber harvest in '03. I told my forester that I wanted to keep the firewood. I had 120 cord of white & red oak, maple, beech, and ash, cut to 16' and staked. I finished that pile with this summer's deliveries. As CUCV has said, the bottom and top of the pile had started to get punky. So, at least in our environment, 3 years is about the limit. Even though it was not split until this year, I sold it as seasoned firewood. All but the red oak were good and dry. But I had some red oak logs that still were pretty wet when cut and split three years after harvesting.

Dry wood lasts alot longer but the species of wood matters too. Just cut down a standing dead black locust that died ten years ago and it has no punky stuff in it. Soft maple lasts only a year before it turns into compost. Have no problem with rot on oak split, stacked and covered for 3 years now, but the bark has fallen off.

Back