Questions on Mini's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Boxer 427 w/tracks. I bought it new about 2.5 years ago. I know it has made me money and as important it has saved my back. What has really made the machine even more useful and valuable is the 30 hp stump grinder attachment I bought last year. I bring the Boxer, BMG, and stump grinder to the job and it is very efficient setup. Recently I bought a used Swinger loader and root grapple. Now when there is the room I bring the larger machine but the mini still goes out each week.

I have a Boxer 427 w/tracks. I bought it new about 2.5 years ago. I know it has made me money and as important it has saved my back. What has really made the machine even more useful and valuable is the 30 hp stump grinder attachment I bought last year. I bring the Boxer, BMG, and stump grinder to the job and it is very efficient setup. Recently I bought a used Swinger loader and root grapple. Now when there is the room I bring the larger machine but the mini still goes out each week.

Is your 30hp stump grinder attachment the stump slayer? just wondering as I just bought a demo unit with 2 hours on it for $3500 and am pretty stoked to try it out on my sk650. That thing sells for $7500 new - which I could never justify - but, for $3500, I figured it's worth a shot.

...If you have a branch manager type grapple and a big chipper a mini is an extremely efficient brush dragger.... better than any two groundmen I know..

IF anyone wants my used BM grapple, let me know. $1700 (no tax). Can ship for about $150. Great shape. Cheaper than a new one at $2200 plus tax...

scott 605-228-9350

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that most of my work is in low / limitted access properties when I post this.

Used to know a guy who had a Thomas mini with grapple. Had him out a few times for jobs.

First; a large sugar maple the machine wasn't big enough to do much good.... a larger machine would have been able to get in there without any trouble and been more effective.

Second; machine was unable to get into the site, would have sat in the driveway doing absolutely nothing.

Third; mix of small and large hardwoods, machine definately helped, but there was plenty of access for a larger machine which would have been more effective as we were able to get the truck right up to everything.

Thus, my opinion on these things... they are either too small or too big. If I can use a bigger machine, then why waste my time with this thing? If I can't use it at all, then it's a waste of money.

Please keep in mind that most of my work is in low / limitted access properties when I post this.

Used to know a guy who had a Thomas mini with grapple. Had him out a few times for jobs.

First; a large sugar maple the machine wasn't big enough to do much good.... a larger machine would have been able to get in there without any trouble and been more effective.

Second; machine was unable to get into the site, would have sat in the driveway doing absolutely nothing.

Third; mix of small and large hardwoods, machine definately helped, but there was plenty of access for a larger machine which would have been more effective as we were able to get the truck right up to everything.

Thus, my opinion on these things... they are either too small or too big. If I can use a bigger machine, then why waste my time with this thing? If I can't use it at all, then it's a waste of money.

My thoughts exactly. The cost of these things new is not only prohibitive, IMHO they are priced nothing short of absurd. If they were even slightly reasonably priced, then I may feel SLIGHTLY different about them. If you can get one on the cheap like the thread starter did, then great. But for the guys who buy them new for tree work only, I think they are a completey unsound investment, and more of a novelty than anything else.

Obviously opinions are like a-holes LOL, and everybody has one, including me. But if you're going to buy a "mini" I fail to see why a small thomas, or 4 series bobcat isn't by far the better choice. For the "MOST" part they are stronger, and lift higher. And I think most importantly, they can be used comfortably in inclement weather, AND double as snow and ice management equipment in the winter. Try subbing out a "mini" doing snow work to a commercial account, and you'll get laughed at, let alone find some poor bastard to run the thing all night. My 453 goes out at 65 an hour with operator.

Last edited:
Can you run a bm on a 4 series BC?

yes - with a bobcat to toro adapter plate which I also have. The adapter plate should hook up to any bobcat mt 50/52/55, 463, 553, s70 or s100. Of couse, it could be put on about any skid steer if you just buy the blank plate for that machine or a universal plate and weld it on. I have a couple blanks for $125 ea plus shipping. the BM is listed for $1700 (costs $2200 new plus tax). The adapter plate (should you wish to hook up any other dingo/ditchwitch/vermeer, etc attachments to your bobcat) is $365.

I wouldn't suggest buying the adapter unless you knew you were going to run other dingo type attachments on your bobcat. The cheapest way to run it would be to buy a blank universal plate and then you could run it on either a full size (4' plate) or smaller machine with 3' plate like a 463 or mini skid.

pic attached... dingo 425tx is also for sale...

For $2k even, I'll put the BM grapple and universal plate on your business doorstep in Boston. For $2250, the BM plus bobcat to toro adapter plate.

Cedar, what type of Swinger did you buy?

I bought a 2001 Swinger Model Ag. It has the 65 hp continental diesel. Also, the attachment is the 30 hp stumpslayer. One of my employees is an ace at using it and prefers it over other comparable stump grinders.

IF anyone wants my used BM grapple, let me know. $1700 (no tax). Can ship for about $150. Great shape. Cheaper than a new one at $2200 plus tax...

scott 605-228-9350
PM me with more details, Year hours etc. Thanks.

...the attachment is the 30 hp stumpslayer. One of my employees is an ace at using it and prefers it over other comparable stump grinders.

have you switched from the rayco to another kind of tooth? what works best on it? I was thinking of changing over to greenteeth or yellowjackets once the raycos went dull.

glad to hear it's a good attachment. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my sc252 grinder.

I think the Rayco superteeth work well but I don't have experience with the other teeth you mentioned. I am having a set retipped and am looking forward to see how that goes. One thing about the Stumpslayer is you want to keep an eye on the tension of the belt. You might even carry an extra with you. The one I use is the Gates Predator belt 3VP850.

Love my dingo 525. Paid $20,000 and well worth it. Must have a good operator. Must have branch manager and pallet forks. Must have dump trailer not dump truck. Put 48" sides on trailer, load from rear. No need to go over the sides when loading, promotes sloppy loading, end up with a 10k trailer holding 5k of rats nested wood. Grapple bucket is worthless attachment. Branchmanager is way better for brush and logs under 24" diameter. When into big wood switch to pallet forks because the load is way closer to the machine then with a grapple bucket. The forks also weigh a lot less then a grapple bucket. When using the forks Its ridiculous what it can move. Skid steers are generally over sized for residential tree work. Might be nice once or twice a month I guess...

Just think one ground guy at $100 a day is roughly $24000 a year not including comp. I paid the dingo off in a year and now have an asset.

I don't know how well a mini would fit into a big company. As an owner operator its priceless.

Also on a side note stump grinder attachments for any skid steer is just plain dumb. Buy a freakin stump grinder if your going to grind stumps...

Love my dingo 525. Paid $20,000 and well worth it. Must have a good operator. Must have branch manager and pallet forks. Must have dump trailer not dump truck. Put 48" sides on trailer, load from rear. No need to go over the sides when loading, promotes sloppy loading, end up with a 10k trailer holding 5k of rats nested wood. Grapple bucket is worthless attachment. Branchmanager is way better for brush and logs under 24" diameter. When into big wood switch to pallet forks because the load is way closer to the machine then with a grapple bucket. The forks also weigh a lot less then a grapple bucket. When using the forks Its ridiculous what it can move. Skid steers are generally over sized for residential tree work. Might be nice once or twice a month I guess...

Just think one ground guy at $100 a day is roughly $24000 a year not including comp. I paid the dingo off in a year and now have an asset.

I don't know how well a mini would fit into a big company. As an owner operator its priceless.

Also on a side note stump grinder attachments for any skid steer is just plain dumb. Buy a freakin stump grinder if your going to grind stumps...

That's not a bad way to look at it, but you didn't total the 10K worth of accesories that you need to make it viable ;-) Again, I'll state you can do all you just mentioned, and much more with a nice used a $5K bobcat 4 series, or a small Thomas. THEN put it to work doing snow removal in the winter and have it make you money year round. Paying $30K for a "mini" doesn't sound like such a good idea anymore, does it?

Again, to each his own.......

I agree. I've been toying with the idea of a mini for years and the longer I think, the more I shy away from the idea. I haven't needed it anywhere that I didn't do just fine with manpower and if I needed something bigger, I borrowed my friends Bobcat. Turns out, now I'm looking at buying his Bobcat by the ned of the year for around $18K, Bobcat 250. Lots more work will come my way with a full sized skid than a mini. Think expansion.

I agree. I've been toying with the idea of a mini for years and the longer I think, the more I shy away from the idea. I haven't needed it anywhere that I didn't do just fine with manpower and if I needed something bigger, I borrowed my friends Bobcat. Turns out, now I'm looking at buying his Bobcat by the ned of the year for around $18K, Bobcat 250. Lots more work will come my way with a full sized skid than a mini. Think expansion.

There's really no arguing that the new cost vs benefit of a mini is pretty terrible when compared to the other options readily available.

Now of course, I don't need the blown camaro or the sport bike that is capable of 189 either, so I understand what it means to have an unnecessary toy or two, but lets see it for what it is guys, and not make it into something that it's not, and what it's not, is the best bang for your buck....

I have draged brush for twenty years, not any more! I bought mine last winter and havent draged brush since. If I cant get my chipper to the tree the mini comes out. Trees in back yards I can do swice as fast as before, and you dont get wore out. They are money makers!

Looks like prices have gone up. My Boxer 427 w/tracks cost $13k brand new in 2008. My 30 hp stump grinding attachment was $5K and the BMG was $2k. So for $20K I got a machine that can load logs onto my dump trailer, move brush, and grind stumps. A self-propelled stump grinder with 30hp would probably cost around the same. The mini-skid also maneuvers much more efficiently than a self-propelled grinder when grinding a large stump or grinding multiple stumps.

I have draged brush for twenty years, not any more! I bought mine last winter and havent draged brush since. If I cant get my chipper to the tree the mini comes out. Trees in back yards I can do swice as fast as before, and you dont get wore out. They are money makers!

You have one of the expensive ones too. What is your "all in cost" with everything you use on any given day. Branch manager, dump trailer, anything else I may have missed?

Latest posts

Back