Questions with Wisconsin Engine on Morbark Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyStDruid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have a winning bid on a 1999 Morbark 2070 chipper that runs on a 35 hp Wisconsin engine. The engine has 560 hours on it. Before finalizing the purchase I went upto inspect
the chipper. I fired it up and it seemed to run fine. After shutting it down I checked the oil. There wasn't a drop that registered on the dipstick.

I was later told by another equipment dealer selling a Morbark with a different brand of engine that Wisconsin gas engines were being discontinued and that parts and labor on fixing them were at a premium.

I can buy the 99 Morbark for approximately 6000.00. However, I'm concerned about the lack of oil on the dipstick and on the durability of Wisconsin engines. The previous owners of the chipper had it repossessed from the dealer they bought it from. It was auctioned off by the finance company. The dealer had service records on the chipper and while the company that owned it was rough on it, they did bring it in for service when it needed it.

Any input on Wisconsin engines or advice on buying this chipper under these circumstances would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The Willy Street Druid

wisconson engine

the motor on that chipper is a good motor . however it is not the motor you would want on a chipper. chipper motors work very hard and the rpm's get raised and lowered very dramatically and that brand of motor just does not hold up very well and it has a limited life as well as it does not have any value on the used market. i know the machine is not that old and you probably like that about this machine but you might want to consider buying a older machine with a better motor if your budget is limited .because this machine may be newer but buy the time you replace the motor you could have bought a older machine twice the size that is built for the long haul. it sounds to me that the motor if it has no visible leaks it is burning oil and for a wisconson that is a very bad thing and can only get worse over time. and my next question would be how long and how many times has it been run with low or no oil in it . hope that helps dan:(

If you end up with the chipper and want to replace the engin elet me know. I would be interested in the Wisconsin engine. You can email me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Bill

Bill G.....
What you looking for ? I was running many wisconsons. No longer.
I just sold 4 65 hps. for 400 $ many 35 hp. cases & such left sitting around.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I relied on it heavily in making a decision. I had 5 chippers to choose from with my budget and a deadline of Thursday, 10-3-02 to get one to work. 1974 Wayne 16" drum for $2500...too dangerous, hard to find parts/service. 1999 Morbark 2070 for $6000...previous owners beat the #!&! out of it and no oil in small 35 hp Wisconsin engine. 1989 Morbark 290 for $5900...beat up, ran rough, dealer selling it lied to me about Wisconsin Engines being discontinued (more on that later). The one that got away; a nice city owned 1990 Morbark 290 for $7,250 with a Cummins Diesel. Finally, a 1986 Morbark 290 that I paid $5000 for today. Here's a link to it:

http://adcache.equipmenttraderonline.com/9/4/6/33881746.htm

It has a 4 cylinder Industrial Ford in it and a few nicks and dings here and there. Oil looked good and the guy selling it had some brush handy to demo it. He also showed me docs on service and upkeep. I took the advice to get something a bit older but with more horse power. Ideally, I would have splurged for the 1990 Morbark with a Cummins Diesel but it was sold already. Hopefully the days of stompin 3 stories of brush into an old chevy pick-up and having weekly fire drills at the farm are over.

You guys in Wisconsin watch out for Allied Equipment out of Germantown. I usually don't say anything bad about anyone but a guy there named Gary flat out lied and told me that Wisconsin engines were no longer being produced and that the company folded. He was trying to sway me from buying the 1999 2070 and selling me his piece of dung chipper. I found out that Wisconsin engines are being produced and that the company is under new ownership. This guy's lack of integrity cost him one long term customer.

Sonny,

I am looking for one or more 10-15 HP or larger engines. I would be interested in what you have but there is one big problem. I am in Iowa and you are in California. The shipping would be high. If a remember correctly you had some bucket trucks that you let go cheap. If you would have been closer I would have took them. Let me know what you have.

Bill

Latest posts

Back