Quick Question for all of you Makita/ Dolmar Whizzes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procarbine2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On a rev-limited saw, such as the Makita DCS6401.. how in the heck can I check this saw for tune. Seems as though this saw tuned rich or lean, meets at the limiter before I can get a good ear for the 4 stroke.
Since this saw came on the lean side from the factory, I trimmed the H tab earlier this winter, and just got around to tuning it today (great weather today). I richened it up quite a bit, felt it 4 stroking in the cut a bit and trimmed it back about an 1/8 turn. Seems to be well in tune, but am a little uneasy about this saw being on the lean side.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered, but since I cant find anything on it I figured I would ask again...

I'll be playing with a 6401 soon so I'll have to address the same issues.

One conventional answer is to tune in the wood. This assumes you have a monster log right outside your shop door and are adept at sawing with one hand while tuning with the other. And you aren't tone deaf.

I'll probably lean out the H until it hits the limiter, then richen it up just a hair. That should be a "safe" setting, though it is not necessarily optimal for power.

The ideal answer is a non-limited coil, but I suspect I'll learn to live with the stock coil.

you have to tune it in the wood. with the engine warmed up, get the saw buried in the wood. The burble should go away when the engine is under load. Lift up on the saw slightly. If the burble comes back, it's set right. If no burble, richen it up a bit more.

also, search for vids of bsnelling running a saw. A lot of times you will see him lift up on the saw mid-cut to check if the carb is set right. When he lifts up on the saw, it will burble.

This isn't is as good as Brad's vids but here is a video of me running my PS-9010. At the beginning of the video you can hear a burble until the saw warms up and 1:14 I lift up on the saw and you can hear it 4 stroking again.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KAI4lkfh78?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KAI4lkfh78?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'll be playing with a 6401 soon so I'll have to address the same issues.

One conventional answer is to tune in the wood. This assumes you have a monster log right outside your shop door and are adept at sawing with one hand while tuning with the other. And you aren't tone deaf.

I'll probably lean out the H until it hits the limiter, then richen it up just a hair. That should be a "safe" setting, though it is not necessarily optimal for power.

The ideal answer is a non-limited coil, but I suspect I'll learn to live with the stock coil.

yes
yes
&
yes- a 55 coil can be made to work.

also, search for vids of bsnelling running a saw. A lot of times you will see him lift up on the saw mid-cut to check if the carb is set right. When he lifts up on the saw, it will burble.

This isn't is as good as Brad's vids but here is a video of me running my PS-9010. At the beginning of the video you can hear a burble until the saw warms up and 1:14 I lift up on the saw and you can hear it 4 stroking again.

Its hard to do a rev limited saw like that. Cant hardly tell if its lean and on the limiter, or if its right and 4 strokin.

Im not a pro, but I checked my limited saws like mtngun. Lean it out to where you know its on the limiter, then richen it up until you hear it change tones.....just what I do.

Thing is, tuning out of wood or lifting out of wood is a no go. Atleast what I had noticed. The limiter gives a false 4 stroke, and could only get a good 4 stroke under load in wood. Not used to tuning saws that way, but hopefully that will do. Would rather be on the rich side. Guess we will see when I tear into some locust tomorrow!

When in doubt check the plug.

+1

And a Tach is also handy in this situation.

As far as tuning in the wood, I like to start on the rich side and lean it out in small increments until you get a nice clean 2-stroke in the cut. This way you know your on the rich side of the things. Better to be a tad rich than a tad lean.

I do what komatsuvarna does. Lean it WAY out then richen it up until I hear a change. Then I know I'm off of the limiter. I have a tach but it doesn't seem to be too useful. I haven't had a problem yet.

Bullittman

Latest posts

Back