quick question please; cutting spring poles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby4000

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
guys when cutting spring poles where is the best place to stand, on the compresion side so that the "whip" goes away from you. Is this correct

thanks again

Yes, you want them to go away from you, definitely. Also, you can release some of the tension safely by just placing a series of cuts, right next to each other, but not going all the way through. One after the other. You'll see those open up a little bit, taking some of the energy out.

Other things to do if you can? Stand behind a tree for protection and the old standby, use a LONG bar so you can stand out of the way even more.

also you can do relief cuts on the compression side but you must watch your kerf and go slow so your bar doesn't get pinched.

Make the series of cuts right at the top of the arc or point of highest tension. You may have to go back through your cuts a couple of times and then when there is as much tension as you think you can get out of it hit the one closest to you at arms length and wot. Big ones are fun.

I saw that artical and was not really happy about what they said about spring poles. If you are dealing with saplings that are pinned to the floor, is is almost never a good idea to attack them from the middle.(imo) the top is better, you can more accurately judge whats gonna happen before it does.

Watch your head, legs, and hold the saw extra extra tight, cause the wood can throw it hard, Ive had instances that actually ripped mounts apart. . .

Dancan,
Thanks for sharing the "Production Felling Through Safety" link.
Lots of good stuff there..... :cheers:

BarnieTrk :biggrinbounce2:

Thank Tz250 for the link .
Take what you read with a grain of salt and keep it in the back of your mind and stay out of the line of fire !
Safe work practices are important and experience is the best teacher .

:cheers:

Last edited:
I saw that artical and was not really happy about what they said about spring poles. If you are dealing with saplings that are pinned to the floor, is is almost never a good idea to attack them from the middle.(imo) the top is better, you can more accurately judge whats gonna happen before it does.

Watch your head, legs, and hold the saw extra extra tight, cause the wood can throw it hard, Ive had instances that actually ripped mounts apart. . .

I do both. Kind of depends on what it looks like. The really fun ones are when there is one end thats going straight up and the other is gonna poke out at you in one direction or the other. Its just trying to figure out where its going to go.

spring poles

What is that? I have them mind pictured as small trees pinned down by a larger
fallen tree. I have had plenty of risky business cutting oak tree tops & hanging
trees over the years, sometimes use 4WD or tractor to help & stay in a safe
zone.

I've used the method in that manual manny times. It works well. It is in that manual for a reason.

Latest posts

Back