quoting formula

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me start by saying I have been operating for several years in a role where this was 99% of my focus.

In my experience there is no way a fixed formula is going to deliver consistent results, there are many factors involved, the first being able to read the client. Are they tyre kickers? only care about the cheapest price ? Are they educated and know the difference and want a quality service/product delivered?

The second is inescapable, you must have extensive practical experience in the task you are attempting to estimate, you need to be able to anticipate likley outcomes, potential problems and methods that will or should be employed to complete the task at hand and allow for each of those variables, you then need to have an intimate understanding of your staffs operational capacity and allow for that also, for example crew B. might be able to do the job in 3 hours while crew A. might do it in 4.5 hrs.

The third is a working knowledge of baseline figures for your company, ie. what does it cost us to have the required staff and equipment on site for the duration of the job and the time it will take to get there, you then must incorporate a margin of profit, while considering the risk involved in the task at hand, exposure to risk will always be reflected in the price, there are some other considerations depending on the size of the company, that being your (the estimator) costs (veichle, stationary, mobile, web,fuel and your wage) and admin at the office (who will likley spend a certian amount of time preparing the associated paperwork with logging the job, booking the job and sending invoices and any other company overheads (if you are successful).

The fourth is the site itself, no 2 sites are alike and each represents unique challenges, and so the management of the site and the way debris generated in the course of the job will be handled must be taken into consideration as well as any special requirements be that laying protective matting to protect turf grass or similar site requirements.

How will your competitors undertake the work ? and how do you anticipate they will charge for their services ? do they compete on price or quality ?

So as you can see its a very complex process that involves numerous factors not all of witch are mentioned here that must be considered in determining your bid for the work..

So essentially there is no substitute for experience, people skills and an ability to consider all the factors involved in making your decision and determining a suitable costing for the work at hand.

I figure the total amount of time spent on the job from start to finish..or at least as close as accurate as I can be.This would include travel and hauling time...If use all four of my guys on the job,a chipper and a skid loader I like to get $250 per hour..It goes down from there...Two guys and a chipper.150 an hour..On the average I try and get 200 an hour...It has taken me a while to get my time estimate accurate.

Sounds like your on the trolley mate, if you have the experience in doing the work behind you, its just a matter of finding your feet and coming to understand the background costs and work within those figures.

Figure out how much it costs to run your company (payroll, insurance costs, rent, equipment, etc.) and based on that figure out how much it costs you per hour to run you company. Then add your profit margin on top of that. If you have trouble figuring that out then get a bookkeeper and for godsakes DON'T co-mingle your personal and business purchases. Have one bank account for business and one credit card for business.

If it costs you, say, $50,000 a month to run your company, average month has 22 weekdays/working days in it. That's $2273 per day or $284 per hour. I would add about 10% to 25% on top of that for profit/buffer so a max of about $350 an hour.

The most important thing is knowing how long it will take you to complete a job. Only experience will help you with that.

Being able to accurately predict the time is of paramount importance and nothing will bring you undone faster than an inability to correctly allocate a time window for a particular task or job, with some margin for variance, and while still being competitive in the market.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back