Race chain for Adirondackstihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy crap, really??? 40 hours on prep for a single chain, I cant imagine that kind of patience
I have multiple saw projects going at one time so that if something frustrating happens I can go to a different saw instead of throwing one against a wall, my mind boggles at spending that kind of time and precision on a chain
just wow....like really WOW
Dave

Yup, spent that kind of time.

I did spread it out over several weeks, but I kept track of it pretty well................ worked through lunches and breaks, a little at home, and honestly a little snuck in during the day at work too.

It would probably take Hedgerow or mdavlee a half a day to do the same thing ............... the older I get, the slower I work

Yup, spent that kind of time.

I did spread it out over several weeks, but I kept track of it pretty well................ worked through lunches and breaks, a little at home, and honestly a little snuck in during the day at work too.

It would probably take Hedgerow or mdavlee a half a day to do the same thing ............... the older I get, the slower I work
Took me 8 hours on the last one, but it works good :)

Clearly I have no real basis for how long this ought to take.
Having never raced anything except pizza eating, my sole chain-based frame of reference is how long it takes to get a new chain out of the box and onto the saw that a groundling just tried to use on a chain-link fence.
On TV the hot saw races are less than 7 seconds so that is almost 6 hours of chain prep for each moment of chain usage - holy bat-poop batman that is mind boggling
D

Clearly I have no real basis for how long this ought to take.
Having never raced anything except pizza eating, my sole chain-based frame of reference is how long it takes to get a new chain out of the box and onto the saw that a groundling just tried to use on a chain-link fence.
On TV the hot saw races are less than 7 seconds so that is almost 6 hours of chain prep for each moment of chain usage - holy bat-poop batman that is mind boggling
D
They will last a long time in soft wood
They can still be sharpened. Just don't hit hard knotted wood.. kinda like drag radials for yer saw :)

On TV the hot saw races are less than 7 seconds so that is almost 6 hours of chain prep for each moment of chain usage -
Exactly!

Which is why race chain filing may not be the best model for fire wood cutters. Racers make three cuts: two down and one up. Then they are finished. If they win they may get a big check that covers the cost of that chain.

Fire wood cutters make lots of cuts, often all day, and just hope to beat the price of propane. Their chains have to hold up longer.

Philbert

Bump

Sometimes you hit stuff at racing events too in nice clean cants. = New race chain on a hotsaw and wondered why the last 2 cuts just wasnt getting it done. Inspection shows corners gone on some after hitting something in cant on 1st cut. = $$$
Poopy deal :eek:

Mike what if the winning bidder dont want thinned inside cutters. I have ran thinned cutters on 2 chains on race saws and wouldnt do it again. I know others that feel the same way that race.

Bump ;)
I'll save them for myself then[emoji2]

I may not have time to get them thinned depending on how busy I get this winter and who can do it.

Mike what if the winning bidder dont want thinned inside cutters. I have ran thinned cutters on 2 chains on race saws and wouldnt do it again. I know others that feel the same way that race.

Bump ;)
Could always ask the winner, I have a couple fast chains that are not thinned
A mdavlee square filed chain is gonna be wicked fast, even filed and maybe other stuff.
I have seen chains not thinned much just because of different wood used
In race cants

Back