Race chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the woolfe man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone out there is willing to make me a cross cut race chain.
To suit a ms460 cutting 14inch blocks.
I haven't brought the bar yet so I'm after opinion's for size chain and bar etc.
I can pay for the chain to be made.And shipped to Australia.
I understand there is alot of work behind a race chain.

If i cant get someone to make a race chain.
What would be good chain to race with?

You should repost this in the hotsaw forum you might find a guy to help you. I don't think you will have any luck though race chains are kind of top secret. Madsens has some good info about basic race chains. :cheers: and good luck

Hi just wondering if anyone out there is willing to make me a cross cut race chain.
To suit a ms460 cutting 14inch blocks.
I haven't brought the bar yet so I'm after opinion's for size chain and bar etc.
I can pay for the chain to be made.And shipped to Australia.
I understand there is alot of work behind a race chain.

If i cant get someone to make a race chain.
What would be good chain to race with?

Biggest problem may be finding someone to actually race against. Come for a drive, I'm up for a saw race ;)

You're looking at .50 cents per drive link or more for a race chain depending on the amount of work involved, so 150$+ for a basic race chain is common.

Finding someone to make you a race chain is not easy. BTW, a race chain may look something like this.

754170499_eRS5K-M.jpg

754170499_eRS5K-M.jpg

754170474_3UTHF-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest problem may be finding someone to actually race against. Come for a drive, I'm up for a saw race ;)

They're advertising the full programme at a forthcoming show on Seven Central (Queensland/NT regional TV) ATM ;)

Apart from Tommy and Dennis continuing to say "wood is wood" I have a hard time believing that a square chisel race chain sharpened for poplar or pine will standup cutting Eucs but i could be very wrong too.

Will/lumberjackau races in both speed and post rip events, you could drop him a PM.

Apart from Tommy and Dennis continuing to say "wood is wood" I have a hard time believing that a square chisel race chain sharpened for poplar or pine will standup cutting Eucs but i could be very wrong too.

I've snapped cutters clean off with the same amount of meat as that pictured race chain in good old Aussie hardwood. Wood ain't wood thats for sure. Rakers set up on race chains for soft woods would bog my 3120 on a 16" bar in something like Box ;)

I'll race against you, 2 rules though.. your saw will have to be over 20 years old & not ported :)

So you want to race my Echo 290EVL Wayne? Hmmm. I feel a whoopin coming on :)

And I think I'll be copping it ;)

Last edited:
I've snapped cutters clean off with the same amount of meat as that pictured race chain in good old Aussie hardwood. Wood ain't wood thats for sure. Rakers set up on race chains for soft woods would bog my 3120 on a 16" bar in something like Box ;)

So you want to race my Echo 290EVL Wayne? Hmmm. I feel a whoopin coming on :)

And I think I'll be copping it ;)

That little Echo will be hard to beat.. I'll have to bring the beast.......................

handsaw.jpg
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Got a whole nail full of worn out chains that look just like that. At $2.50 a link, just how many would you like me to send you?

They're advertising the full programme at a forthcoming show on Seven Central (Queensland/NT regional TV) ATM ;)

Will/lumberjackau races in both speed and post rip events, you could drop him a PM.

When your world is full of conifers, yes maybe "wood is wood"...

Ask Dennis how his Stihl series chain did...again...lol

I pay 150 for 60dl unthinned...thinned ,surface ground, about 300 to 400..

Sabastian Bertrand makes good chain, available through Simon...

A couple of guys on here are supposedly making wicked chain...I just havn't seen it in person...yet

Got a whole nail full of worn out chains that look just like that. At $2.50 a link, just how many would you like me to send you?

Well you do you say hmmmmmm:)

Get some pics up then.

You do realize the reason it looks like it does don't you?

Bill

Need a surface grinder setup to do that kind of work. That was painful trying to do that by hand:(

Drill press,mandrel with a 1/4" wide stone mounted in the chuck and a section of guide bar of the gauge chain you are making mounted into a machine vice. Set the chain up to just touch the rivets to the stone and then slowly pull the chain around keeping a little pressure on the opposite side of the chain, two trips around should have them lowered considerably.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back