Race chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something along this line. Photo is a bit trick, long exposure in low light to make it look fast and like a lot of sparks. Realy work is done quite slowly and with low feed pressure.

A great deal goes into making good chain seldom does a chain that looks incosistent cut really well. Easy to spend 8 to 12 hours on a chain, the ones that are taken apart and thinned are a bunch more work yet.

Last edited:
Something along this line. Photo is a bit trick, long exposure in low light to make it look fast and like a lot of sparks. Realy work is done quite slowly and with low feed pressure.

A great deal goes into making good chain seldom does a chain that looks incosistent cut really well. Easy to spend 8 to 12 hours on a chain, the ones that are taken apart and thinned are a bunch more work yet.

Yep, nice looking rivets = nearly flat. Thanks for the pict.
Pioneerguy600

They ended up with a slight angle due to the chain rocking over in the bar rails but with a little shim under the jig that can be cleaned up. Stone could be dressed to take care of that too.

They ended up with a slight angle due to the chain rocking over in the bar rails but with a little shim under the jig that can be cleaned up. Stone could be dressed to take care of that too.

A little plastic slide mounted on the opposite side just touching the rivet heads as they pass the grinder wheel helps a lot. Still a good looking job compared to some I`ve seen.
Pioneerguy600

That one is my messing about. I find it hard to find the time required to do much with chain. Made a few jigs and holders up, but I'd rather work on the motor end of the saw.

I can feel your pain, I can't imagine disassembling an entire chain and surface grinding .011" off the inside of every connecting link and then removing more from the tooth itself.
Every 1/2 hour or so I'd have to run a lap around the yard, well walk anyways...

I can feel your pain, I can't imagine disassembling an entire chain and surface grinding .011" off the inside of every connecting link and then removing more from the tooth itself.
Every 1/2 hour or so I'd have to run a lap around the yard, well walk anyways...

It's easier to buy the chain pieces, machine them, then assemble them into a chain I imagine.

Last edited:
Well you do you say hmmmmmm:)

Get some pics up then.

You do realize the reason it looks like it does don't you?

Bill

I was thinking he needed a chain for demolition. You know to cut an asphalt roof or maybe to cut a yard tree with several thousand nails in it from 6 generations of tree house designs. Might be good for a couple of roots too or at least that’s what I do with chains that look like that. Is there another purpose??

Around here dog boning and chassis work will get you disqualified at certain shows, because they are considered unsafe.

Unsafe mah azz. ;):p

True to a point but you'll always get some peanut take it just that bit too far, slap his forehead with a busted chain, and then the blubberment will ban chainsaw racing :cheers:

Why is that? people pay $250+ for a woods port, and race chain will shave more time off three cuts than a woods port. I think it's the most cost effective way to buy speed.

I agree but in racing only. I have no interest in race chains as I have nobody to share the speed with :D Most people will benefit far more from a wood's port as it is also beneficial in day to day saw work whereas race chains aren't.

Last edited:
True to a point but you'll always get some peanut take it just that bit too far, slap his forehead with a busted chain, and then the blubberment will ban chainsaw racing :cheers:

I agree but in racing only. I have no interest in race chains as I have nobody to share the speed with :D Most people will benefit far more from a wood's port as it is also beneficial in day to day saw work whereas race chains aren't.

yup, no point in taking fast chain to the woods. It won't be fast for long.

Latest posts

Back